FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

So what's the next move?

GMD11UK

Now the celtic game has been & gone and the in's & out's have been looked at for our first 90 mins back in the SPL.....What if anything do we change for dundee utd next sunday?!?!?!?

1. Leave gill on the bench, or in the car. i am happy with either, i am not a fan and him wasting TWO subs by him coming on then off ain't doing any favors for him with me!

2. Stick with nick, he does what hes told and is a prospect, he did his job by standing at the backpost and stopped a potential 2nd goal.

3. If hayes ain't fit, dont start him! he may be a fan favourite but your risking a comeback by putting him on before he's 100%

Personally I'd go with the same starting line-up as today.

Think you'll find Gil pulled a hamstring.

I think young Nick deserved his start today and I wouldn't have a problem with him starting next week.

Whats wrong with Hayes?

as per hayes it appears he's not quite 100% match fit, would be better suited as a 2nd half sub to add some explosive runs to a tired defense.

i think mccann has been good pre-season in the games i have seen him play, i thought getting some right back on loan from hibs that he may have been a dud but as i said, he's been active and wants the ball. i would prefer proctor & golabek to partner rosco and munro in defense but mccann has been good so far.

hayes needs to not start next week, he was good, not not great today....and we all know what he's capable of when he's on great form.

give sanchez a start with eric and ross see what happens, then bring off eric/ross for gil and hayes on for sanchez in the 2nd.

• Disagree 2

Think you'll find Gil pulled a hamstring.

I think young Nick deserved his start today and I wouldn't have a problem with him starting next week.

Whats wrong with Hayes?

Yeah.... Looked like he tweaked his hamstring with that sudden burst of speed he produced on his way to the dug-out when his number came up.....

Presumably he'll be out for about 6 weeks now. Football can be so cruel at times.

I thought the reason Gil come on and then back off again was because he got injured. He also is not a winger.

nah terry seen him lose the ball on his first touch and went, screw it, get him off...but told him to limp for the cameras/radio.

Thats just a lie

I thought the reason Gil come on and then back off again was because he got injured. He also is not a winger.

nah terry seen him lose the ball on his first touch and went, screw it, get him off...but told him to limp for the cameras/radio.

Thats just a lie

i'd call it more of a joke than a lie! things happen like t did with innes the other day when he came on and 2 mins later went off injured.

I dont like proc at right back he is a centre mid but cox and duncan have formed a great partnership and therefore proc wont get in.

I dont think tokely did anything wrong he was just as good as any of the defenders

esson

mccann tokely munro gillet

cox duncan

Hayes Eric shinnie

rooney

i am not a fan of ross and i think shinnie is a better player as he is faster and stronger than ross and i think he should be given a shot.

I know shinnie wont be starting but he should get on at about 60-70 mins

as per hayes it appears he's not quite 100% match fit, would be better suited as a 2nd half sub to add some explosive runs to a tired defense.

i think mccann has been good pre-season in the games i have seen him play, i thought getting some right back on loan from hibs that he may have been a dud but as i said, he's been active and wants the ball. i would prefer proctor & golabek to partner rosco and munro in defense but mccann has been good so far.

hayes needs to not start next week, he was good, not not great today....and we all know what he's capable of when he's on great form.

give sanchez a start with eric and ross see what happens, then bring off eric/ross for gil and hayes on for sanchez in the 2nd.

As a footballer match fitness only comes with playing games from the start and playing for as long as you can, this brings the sharpness that you expect to see as well. Playing a player for 15-20 minutes will not get him match fit nor will it get him sharp so for me Hayes has to start next week, he gave enough today that shows he is naturally fit after his injury and will be 'match fit' very soon.

As for changing things for next week, why?

Yes the second half was poor but remember we were playing Celtic and they are always going to get chances and be on top for a period of time, lets focus on the positives and move on from there. Changing a backline after 1 game won't help either and the understanding will come over time, give them a chance to gell.

I would have been more inclined to change things if we had been playing St Mirren or Hamilton and gave them the number of chances Celtic had and let them play the way Celtic did in the second half.

I thought Mccann was awful today, constantly getting caught out of position and it was far too easy for the goal for McCourt to come in field.

Esson

Proctor Tokely Munro Gillett

Cox Duncan

Hayes Odihambo Ross

Rooney

Subs: Tuffey, Innes, Mccann, McBain, Blumenstein, Sanchez, Sutherland

Fine, if you discount the missed tackles by Tokely and Cox as well as McCann that also contributed.

As a footballer match fitness only comes with playing games from the start and playing for as long as you can, this brings the sharpness that you expect to see as well. Playing a player for 15-20 minutes will not get him match fit nor will it get him sharp so for me Hayes has to start next week, he gave enough today that shows he is naturally fit after his injury and will be 'match fit' very soon.

As for changing things for next week, why?

Yes the second half was poor but remember we were playing Celtic and they are always going to get chances and be on top for a period of time, lets focus on the positives and move on from there. Changing a backline after 1 game won't help either and the understanding will come over time, give them a chance to gell.

I would have been more inclined to change things if we had been playing St Mirren or Hamilton and gave them the number of chances Celtic had and let them play the way Celtic did in the second half.

Great post MrCaleyJag, completely agree. The only way players can get fitter is by pushing themselves. Not by sitting on the bench.

4-2-3-1 has to be the formation. It took most of last season to find that formula - why play more defensively against the old firm or anyone else? Iv got every confidence our players can cause defences havoc and our back line to be solid enough when using last seasons formation.

• Agree 1

1) Why change a winning formula? Very harsh for Proctor and Golabeck to be dropped IMHO after their form last season. Get them back in the side. Individually Gillet and McCann looked alright, but as a unit the back 4 where unusually ropey.

2) If Rooney isn't making a dent on the opposition back 4, give Sutherland a run out well before the 85th minute.

3) If our midfield is being over-run, Roy McBain has more to offer than a 20 year old rookie with a hairband.

4) Start being a bit more streetwise. Samaras was about to get booked after a wreckless challenge on Munro, but Grant immediately got up and told the ref it was an accident. Nice guys finish last!

5) TFF Hamilton.

1. Golabeck has no longer got the pace from the SPL. Sad, but true. I don't think that the back 4 were "unusually ropey" They were facing most people's stick on for the champions spot who were several degrees of magnitude better than anything faced by ICT in the last 12 months or so. Proctor is a different matter, he's versatile and might profit now that Blumenstein is out for a while.

2. Lone strikers against that type of opposition tend to take a while to get going. Rooney is a proven goalscorer who will hit a good spell. He came closest for us on Saturday witha shot that looked like nothing, but was only saved by Zaluska getting a knee in the way.

3. The "rookie with the hairband" (didn't realise that hairbands were pejorative) is a man with a recorded load of ability who needs a regular spell without injury. I hope he gets it to prove what he is capable of. We know, however what Roy is capable of, and the fact that he wasn't used a lot last year maybe tells you about his long term prospects in the team that TB is putting together.

4. What?? I've tried to see what you are on about in the recording. I can't. If a referee is going to book someone, he does, and intervening does no good at all. I know this to my cost.

5. Eh?? I's one game into the season FFS.

To those of us who don't know what "pejorative" means could you explain it to me please?

And, no, I am not prejudiced, perverted or pencil-thin; just a predatorial pensioner who has a peccadillo for purposeful people, parturient young mothers and posting parquinade-type lampoons on here.

Paradoxically,after reading some posts in this column I enter a state of paresis quite often and at times like that I always resort to my old favorite relaxant, pareira, to placate my HBP and parasympathetic parts. Thus avoiding the need to posture to attract attention especially when there is a paucity of fans on here.

Got to go--pp calls! :tongue:

To those of us who don't know what "pejorative" means could you explain it to me please?

And, no, I am not prejudiced, perverted or pencil-thin; just a predatorial pensioner who has a peccadillo for purposeful people, parturient young mothers and posting parquinade-type lampoons on here.

Paradoxically,after reading some posts in this column I enter a state of paresis quite often and at times like that I always resort to my old favorite relaxant, pareira, to placate my HBP and parasympathetic parts. Thus avoiding the need to posture to attract attention especially when there is a paucity of fans on here.

Got to go--pp calls! :tongue:

Quality, quality post.:rotflmao:

• Agree 2

The bottom line is ewe held out own for a good portion of the celtic game, i was pumped and thought we had a chance but when i looked the the celtic team as individuals i then became a bit hesitant.

Esson is he keeps up that kind of form will be key to our survival nevermind success.

Our back four may need work but if rossco stays suspension free & munro can hold the line we will keep a strong defense.

midfield both in attack and defense have quality, cox and duncan are playing well together and when foran is back with hayes and eric in the middle, we will be able to connect with rooney more on the ground rather than lofting balls into the air to try random luck.

when rooney starts getting the quality service we will see opposition picking the ball out of their own net.

what has happened has been good, but not great and thats what is in store i feel.

I think we need to change Mccann for Proc at right back and push Cox further forward. Mcbain and Duncan have a great understanding and are both suited to the holding roll. Eric can play out wide and swap with Hayes during the game as Terry is partial to doing anyway.

Heres my team;

Esson

Proc Tokely Munro Gillet

Mcbain Duncan

Hayes Cox Eric

Rooney

I think we need to change Mccann for Proc at right back and push Cox further forward. Mcbain and Duncan have a great understanding and are both suited to the holding roll. Eric can play out wide and swap with Hayes during the game as Terry is partial to doing anyway.

Heres my team;

Esson

Proc Tokely Munro Gillet

Mcbain Duncan

Hayes Cox Eric

Rooney

Thats actually not a bad idea, especially when playing away from home. I'd play that on saturday.

--------------Esson---------------

---McCann--Tokely--Munro--Gillet--

----------Duncan---Cox------------

-----Hayes----Odhiambo---Ross-----

--------------Rooney--------------

I don't think any of the other options we have are better than the XI who started against Celtic. I have put TOkely in this because I've not seen him listed as out anywhere. If he is then presumably Proctor will slip into his position, which makes us far less solid.

I don't really think Ross did much against Celtic, he clearly wasn't our best player either. He was OK though and deserves to keep his place, at least until Foran is back.