FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

New rules Proposal

Tug

Interesting indeed. Some decent thoughts there but it appears to suggest that if Rangers went into liquidation and emerged with a new name they would automatically have a place in the SPL. I can understand other clubs supporting that in the event it happened to them, but liquidation should mean you start at the bottom of the structure and work your way up.

• Agree 1

trouble with the though doofers dad is technically they are..

if they are starting at the bottom of the spl.....thats the trouble with having 3 governing bodies in Scottish football

like the bit about 8 clubs being enough to pass a vote....could help pave the way for a bigger spl

If there's no redistribution of money, it'll just mean Celtic pumping seven past QoS and continuing on with their trophy haul until Rangers get their act in gear. you could have a four team or a forty team league. It would be as equally uncompetitive without that money change.

Interesting indeed. Some decent thoughts there but it appears to suggest that if Rangers went into liquidation and emerged with a new name they would automatically have a place in the SPL. I can understand other clubs supporting that in the event it happened to them, but liquidation should mean you start at the bottom of the structure and work your way up.

There is no doubt about govan rangers having a place in the SPL. Even the tone of the news reports about the rule changes assume they will be there. See my blog for a big slice of opinion!

So they'll be allowed back in but only get a ten point penalty. Pathetic.

It's even worse than that. the new rules ensure a smooth transition from glasgow Rangers to Govan Rangers - inlcuding its history, trophies, records etc. it is an utter disgrace.

This is what Resolution 2A says........

Resolution 2A proposes further sporting sanctions in the event than any club undergoes an Insolvency Transfer Event (ie transfers its share in the SPL to an new company where this occurs because of the insolvency of the transferor) of 10 points in each of two consecutive seasons from the Insolvency Transfer Event

The SPL were/are never going to allow Rangers to be thrown out of the league, and whilst I disagree with that I think the proposed rule changes would at least ensure all clubs are treated evenly in the future. If all proposals are accepted then I think we find ourselves at a point where there's enough punishment in there to start making clubs seriously look at how they operate and think twice about the currently easy option of administration...or indeed liquidation.

The SPL were/are never going to allow Rangers to be thrown out of the league, and whilst I disagree with that I think the proposed rule changes would at least ensure all clubs are treated evenly in the future. If all proposals are accepted then I think we find ourselves at a point where there's enough punishment in there to start making clubs seriously look at how they operate and think twice about the currently easy option of administration...or indeed liquidation.

The rules aren't to stop clubs going into admin/liquidation - it is providing clubs with the structure to walk away with debts and start fresh in the SPL 10 point slap on the wrist.

• Agree 1

Quite amusing that Rangers fans feel they are hard done by yet other SPL fans deem this prospective 'punishment' too light.

I think Rangers fans feel that the pain of suffering a 10 point deduction in the SPL and seeing the league go to their fiercest rivals is enough punishment however the severity of their financial dealings from the last ten years means that whether they like it or not they are going to suffer a long time for their actions and quite rightly so

If it so happens that a newco is formed and they are allowed re-entry to the SPL then IMO they should be prepared to accept any restrictions/point deductions that come their way. No club should ever be allowed to rack up so much debt through financial mis-management and be able to wipe out their debt/problems in a matter of months through a CVA or newco option. There must be punishment to fit the crime here

Only by the threat of strong punishments will clubs be deterred from using tax dodges in the future. Whether the proposals of the SPL/SFA are the correct ones is a completely different question!

The rules aren't to stop clubs going into admin/liquidation - it is providing clubs with the structure to walk away with debts and start fresh in the SPL 10 point slap on the wrist.

You can't legislate to stop clubs going into admin/liquidation, only create a set of rules which punish them sufficiently to make them think twice about how they operate in order to prevent it.

My preference is a rule that says if you go into admin/liquidation then you are out...no ifs, buts or maybes. However, we all know that would be like asking the Turkeys to vote for Christmas because EVERY club knows it could easily happen to them the way things are.

I don't think the (proposed) rules go far enough, but it's a step in the right direction and I would hope that as clubs start to bring their finances into order that they continue to stiffen the penalties until we do get to the stage whereby we have a rule which kicks offenders out of the league.

Interesting article on this theme:

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2012/04...ball-to-farce/

SPL Reduce Scottish Football to Farce

Posted on April 11, 2012

By Mike Small

What would it mean for Scottish football and wider Scottish society if a business was allowed to build up massive debts, live well beyond its means, distort the ‘market’ of it’s own league, operate illegal business practices for years and then be let off with a slap on the wrist? It would mean that the SPL is a farce not worth taking part in.

It would mean that the idea of a common code – a leveling agreed practice was made a nonsense of. The games a bogey. Time to do walking away, en mass.

The administrators report to creditors published last week lists the debts, the largest estimated combined amount, more than £93m, is to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). That’s your school and hospital and your community that doesn’t have income because of tax evation on a scale of grand larceny.

And taxpayer-funded bodies are also directly owed money including: Strathclyde Police (£51,882), Scottish Ambulance Service (£8,438), Culture and Sport Glasgow (£10,338), Glasgow City Council (£7,000), and others.

The report also reveals that Rangers owe more than £2.3m to 12 football clubs in Scotland, England and throughout Europe, including Hearts, Dundee Utd and Dunfermline.

Today we’re told that such behaviour will result in a pathetic sanction. That Rangers could start the next season with a ten point reduction in the SPL. But this completely contradicts past precedent that newco’s have to provide three years accounts.

As Rangers Tax Case has put it:

” I understand (but have not yet verified) that the process for a team that does not fulfill all of its fixtures is that all of its results are voided and it finishes the season on zero points. (or -10 points in Rangers’ case due to the penalty for insolvency). This would relegate Rangers from the SPL. The number of clubs who would likely object to a newco being dropped into the SPL could then start to rise. The chances of the SPL getting bogged down in court proceedings start to increase dramatically. Thus far, the SFA and the SPL have failed miserably to provide leadership in this process. Only recently stirred from their slumbers, they do not appear to have thought any of these processes through. It is vital that these organisations start thinking and listening to expert advice. They must figure out all of the pathways and pitfalls now.”

This is true, but the SPL clubs and fans of all clubs need to make it clear that any attempt to waive the rules and allow Rangers back into the league will humiliate Scottish football.

We’re asking all fans to support the statement: “If Rangers #newco are allowed back to the SPL immediately I will officially stop attending SPL football matches.” Put it on facebook and fans forums and twitter.

There’s an opportunity to remake Scottish football, but if this is allowed to happen, there is no point.

• Agree 1