FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The Highland Derby

Proctor

Having been a Caley fan since a small child, I dont remember the earliest games I was taken to. However I do recall that in the mid 60s Caleys biggest rivals were Elgin - with lots of supporters buses going through to Elgin. I was actually spat on, leaving one game, Caley having won (again) and their fans just a bit unhappy. Elgin were the biggest "enemy", but I also remember being very bored at Dingwall, watching a 0-0 draw - one of these games when a goal was never going to come. Remind anyone of recent games at ICT?

Strange that I now watch out for Elgin's results and actually wish them well.

For me Caley's bitter rivals were Elgin - end of story. Peterhed and Buckie had their moments but there was very little hostility towards the Jags because they weren't really in our league. Having said all that I loved our trips to Kingsmills - great days.

Ymip... I am no more than providing the factual background to SMEE's perception of Caledonian FC's somewhat unproductive last years which he says his own memory deprives him of. :biggrin:

Good to see it's eliciting some reaction though! :twothumbsup:

I have already done a rather more objective analysis of both Caley's and Thistle's Highland League achievements 1894-1994 in the first (new) and second chapters of Against All Odds which can be accessed for reference on this site. The ICT v County scenario 1994-97 is also examined later in the book.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

like all the replies Proctor! County never came into it as a rival for me also! I dont even remember seeing Caledonian FC play County to be honest! lol. County only came into play as a rival with the introduction to the SFL in 1994 as im sure your aware off!

Thistle & Elgin were the rivals hands down.

Caley and Elgin were always sure of a big crowd when they got it on. I can remember a 7,000 crowd at Borough Briggs. That is SPL standards now,but only when Old Firm come calling

Are you also by any chance one of these chaps who thinks that Caley and Thistle fans are still staying away from ICT games in their thousands?

The Inverness teams v Elgin was probably a bigger rivalry than anything involving County simply because there was a decent road between Inverness and Elgin whereas a trip between Inverness and Dingwall merited a long queue at the ferry of a long journey round the Beauly Firth.

I would imagine that a big proportion of the ICT fans of today to be less than 45 year old so their earliest memories of derby's are likely to be against County hence the modern day penchance that County are the biggest rivals.

Agree with many of the sentiments here - outside of Inverness, Elgin City were the hated enemy and Ross County weren't disliked any more than any of the other teams. But I was made aware by relatives from those parts that the County supporters really hated Caley, much more than the other Inverness teams. They hated us but we didn't mind them!

I remember the absolute misery of a 5-0 gubbing from the hated Elgin City, sometime in the late 60s - they were the team of the moment and I think they were the only non-league side ever to reach the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup - quite an achievement in the 60s when the standard of Scottish League football was so much higher than today.

I also remember going to a Cup Final at Telford Street with some of my Dalneigh School mates, probably in the late 60s. Ross County were playing Elgin City and we were all supporting County, who won 3-2. Ex-Celtic player Don MacMillan was playing for County that day, at least he said he was when I worked with him many, many years later!

Like Lizi, I now find myself rooting for Elgin City and would love to see them and Ross County fighting it out for 1st or 2nd division dominance,

they were the team of the moment and I think they were the only non-league side ever to reach the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup - quite an achievement in the 60s when the standard of Scottish League football was so much higher than today.

Don't think they were the first by any means - in fact didn't amateur side Eyemouth Utd (wee fishing village in the Borders) get to the same stage a few years before.

Buckett - Lizi - are yer memories fading and your emotional strength weakening. Surely the only emotion that could be experienced other than satisfaction is pity.

And Charlie - are you deliberately trying to turn yet another feckin thread in to a feckin pre-merger debate.

And Charlie - are you deliberately trying to turn yet another feckin thread in to a feckin pre-merger debate.

"Pro merger debate"? Johndo you are the master of the oxymoron!!! :lol:

Seriously, though... absolutely not! However SMEE did raise the issue of what happened during the half dozen years before movement into the SFL in 1994. Now as it happens, Inverness and Highland League football during that roughly 87/88-94 period is a subject which especially interests me and has done so for many years, which fully explains why I detailed so much stuff in earlier posts on this thread. It represents a fascinating ebb and flow of influences.

You are obviously a child of stamps, Pomagne and Scotsmac on the Howden End in the 70s. Being rather younger than your good veteran self, I find the rather later period which I have specified of much more interest. Horses for courses really.

Edited by Charles Bannerman