FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Ian Black

Govan Jaggie

Ian Black is in hot water for illegal betting at his time at ICT.  The game v Motherwell in March 06 is the first one cited by the SFA.  I see he got booked but not sent off that day.  Shame to think that allegedly his cheating could have cost us points.

If that is the match in question (Mar 4th 2006) then reading the match report it sounds pretty inconclusive ...... he may have bet against us but doesnt sound like he was trying to influence the game negatively .... Black had a header cleared off the line when it looked like it was in, he was yellow carded in 60 minutes but the ref that day (Stevie Conroy) was very inconsistent, and the only goal in Motherwell's 0-1 victory came from a Foran penalty after Tokely tripped up an opposition player in the box ... a stonewaller that saw Tokes booked when he might legitimately have been ordered off .... Black was not subbed that day

When that game took place we were 6 points and 2 league places above Motherwell. And we had home advantage. And we had only lost 1 of our previous 17 matches. And we had just had a cracking 4-2 win at Tannadice the previous week. Why would anyone expect us to lose?  :ponder:

Take him to the cells. I sentence him to 3 years in the lower leagues.

Just seeing there what the outcome were in similar cases, and I see ex-Dundee United player Grant Brebner bet AU$2.48 (probably about £1) against Melbourne Victory winning a match, while he was playing for them.  Strangely he also attempted to cancel it out by betting in favour of them winning or drawing the same Asian Champions League game against Thai side Chonburi FC!  :blink:

He was banned for four matches and fined about £3,000.  Kevin Muscat and Craig Moore were also fined, but their bets didn't involve their own teams.

Swindon Town were also denied promotion once due to them all betting on themselves to win the play-off.

Wonder what the outcome will be for Ian Black then if he turns out to be a serial better againster.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

How does someone get caught out doing this sort of thing? I go to bookies and fill a slip and pay my cash. I dont give a name so how did he get caught or who grassed him?

It will be handy now for Sevco to get him off the wage bill especially with them heading towards liquidation.  Very handy indeed.

Just seeing there what the outcome were in similar cases, and I see ex-Dundee United player Grant Brebner bet AU$2.48 (probably about £1) against Melbourne Victory winning a match, while he was playing for them at the time.  Strangely he also attempted to cancel it out by betting in favour of them winning or drawing the same Asian Champions League game against Thai side Chonburi FC!  :blink:

He was banned for four matches and fined about £3,000.  Kevin Muscat and Craig Moore were also fined, but their bets didn't involve their own teams.

Swindon Town were also denied promotion once due to them all betting on themselves to win the play-off.

Wonder what the outcome will be for Ian Black then if he turns out to be a serial better againster.

Apparantly he could face fines of up to £1m, be banned from playing for a period or even for good. It is fair to say, however, that he is not accused of match fixing.

Without seeming to defend him I wonder if he just used a system of bet hedging where he splits the stake between the three likely results of any game thus limiting any losses.

Let us all listen to the evidence before condemning the lad. From my experience there is hardly a pro or semi pro in the land that does not have a flutter on the fixed odds footie despite a clear FIFA  ban on not betting on any match world-wide.

An ex team mate of mine lost the Highland League for blatantly betting on a result. Lets hear the evidence against Blackie is before sending to the gallows.

• Agree 2