FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

v Dumbarton

tm4tj

Full time. No positives that I can take from that other than Billy equalling the goal scoring record.

We were second best virtually all game.

I know we started pre-season later than most teams but we should still have been good enough to get a result tonight. Worrying. 

• Agree 2

Same as the last few seasons.  No one with authority on the pitch.  Lots of energy, but running around like headless chickens.  As often as not, a forward pass goes to someone running back towards you, and he comes back 20 or 30 yards before passing the ball, sideways or further backwards.  Opponents always seem to be smarter, better placed, make better interceptions, and above all, finish better.  Sure we hit the bar and all that - but we weren't unlucky, it was poor finishing.

Very depressing.

• Agree 2
  • Sad 1

We leave our form player, Doran, on the bench???? And we play a certain way because the team is coached by the same coaching team year after year, so nothing changes. We are so predicable in the way we play, that most coaches can counteract our tactics now.

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

That’s a really poor result, even if we are still in pre-season mode.

Thanks Robert for the updates tonight - I was following from a theme park in Italy. What’s that phrase, a rollercoaster season?!

• Like 1

Same old by the sounds of it. Can't finish. Can't defend. These two cup games do not fill me with confidence for the season ahead. Early days of course. The next two cup matches may show some light on prospects. :ponder:

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, caley1 said:

Their in League 2 ffs

22 months and counting unless there really is a God 

They have also won something like 6 games since January. Make no bones about it, League Cup Group Stage / friendly (call it what you will), last nights result was exceptionally poor.

• Agree 2

It's easy to say that it's early in the season, and we treat the league Cup games as pre-season games, but even if we played Dumbarton in a real pre-season game, we would expect to beat them, and would be worried if we didn't.

If we play the same tactics as the last few seasons, same coaches, same tactics, I can see the same outcome, boring ponderous football, passing the ball back and forth along the back four, and players looking for the backward pass instead of turning with the ball and driving forward. It doesn't matter what players they bring in, it's the coaching and tactics that are predicable. 

• Agree 2

As someone new to attending away games, I was pleasantly surprised by the number of ICT fans at the match last night.  Imagine it can vary widely but what is the typical travelling support to league matches? I imagine games in and around Glasgow area attract some 'away' fans now living there which can boost numbers.

Last night's result was disappointing and hoping it doesn't scupper our chances of another cup run this year.  Promotion to the Premier League has to be the focus for this year though so I hope we are still in the experimental period before we kick off for real on the 5th August against Queens Park...  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, robbo1985 said:

As someone new to attending away games, I was pleasantly surprised by the number of ICT fans at the match last night.  Imagine it can vary widely but what is the typical travelling support to league matches? I imagine games in and around Glasgow area attract some 'away' fans now living there which can boost numbers.

Obviously depends on the ground, form, transport links etc. but normally there will be anywhere between around 100 fans up to a couple / few hundred. A lot of ICT fans will end up in the central belt after leaving the Highlands for jobs or tertiary education so for a game against the likes of Partick Thistle we might take a pretty good crowd along. I think there's definitely been an increase in our away support over the last few seasons. More of the Young Team head to away games now I think (possibly for the reasons above) which is good to see.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RiG said:

Obviously depends on the ground, form, transport links etc. but normally there will be anywhere between around 100 fans up to a couple / few hundred. A lot of ICT fans will end up in the central belt after leaving the Highlands for jobs or tertiary education so for a game against the likes of Partick Thistle we might take a pretty good crowd along. I think there's definitely been an increase in our away support over the last few seasons. More of the Young Team head to away games now I think (possibly for the reasons above) which is good to see.

Thanks RiG, estimations may be well out but it looked like we possibly had up to 200 fans there last night , which given the midweek kick off and nature of the match looked impressive.

Looking forward to many more away trips this year and travelling back up the A9 with a win! 

• Like 2

Hopefully this poor performance will bring everybody back down to earth., There is no hiding this season and excuses for the next 4-6 games are going to lessen and lessen. The Diamonds has become, as Doddsie alluded to, a must win game. That should provide some answers to the spirit and the tactics. Keeping the faith at the mo. 👍

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, robbo1985 said:

Thankfully not relying on the official website for the result of last night's much as would still be none the wiser 🤷‍♂️🙄

If you drop them an email or a voicemail they'll get back to you with the score within 4-6 weeks. 

• Funny 6

33 minutes ago, robbo1985 said:

Thankfully not relying on the official website for the result of last night's much as would still be none the wiser 🤷‍♂️🙄

If you try Twitter you might get a more updated response if it needs to be club driven. I’m quite happy with LiveScore when not at the action though.

I go on the club website about once a month and don’t really see it as needed for news. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

passing the ball back and forth along the back four, and players looking for the backward pass instead of turning with the ball and driving forward.

I didn't see many games last season, but I saw so much of that on streaming broadcasts during the covid seasons.  And again last night.

I feel like suggesting that the club should introduce a fine for a player doing that when it was unnecessary.  A few quid for every time someone does it. 

OK, it's impractical - imagine the arguments about whether it was necessary or not.  But there must be some way of incentivising players not to go backwards. 

We are so good at playing the ball from the edge of the opponent's box all the back to Ridgers.  If we could do that in the other direction we'd be world-beating!

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

But there must be some way of incentivising players not to go backwards. 

They'll be doing this because that is the way they've been told to play. The incentive is that if you don't do what the manager tells you to do then you'll get dropped. Presumably the manager is happy for them to focus on keeping possession rather than take a more positive, but more risky option.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

They'll be doing this because that is the way they've been told to play. The incentive is that if you don't do what the manager tells you to do then you'll get dropped. Presumably the manager is happy for them to focus on keeping possession rather than take a more positive, but more risky option.

You're right, of course.  I would argue that it's less risky to lose possession midway inside your opponent's half than on the edge of your own box.  But what do I know? :lol:

34 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Yes, I watch Dodds standing at the games while they pass it back and forth, and he doesn't shout at them to stop it, so they must be carrying out his orders, and when the ball goes to Harper, his first thought is to pass it backwards, instead of being proactive, he doesn't do it when he plays in midfield. Every other team his us hard and fast, while we seem to wait for our opposition to get back into their shape and then try and play through them, which in most cases, we can't. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

You're right, of course.  I would argue that it's less risky to lose possession midway inside your opponent's half than on the edge of your own box.  But what do I know? :lol:

Remember the days when the CM passed it in front of the full back for him to run on to. Haven’t seen that happen for years. Seems to be always slightly behind the man. Safety first every time. Not droning on about the good old days, sure everything’s technically better these days, but the entertainment value is zero, and the rise in admission prices is shocking, far beyond inflation.

Edited by The Mantis
  • Agree 2

55 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

If you watch non league matches in front of a few dozen souls, you can usually hear the manager threatening them with this …

• tm4tj unpinned this topic