FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Broomhill Cup Jan 2024

tm4tj

6 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Watching all the scores come through on Sky Sports News, I see they have us playing BSC Glasgow, which isn’t even Broomhill’s most recent previous name!

They obviously follow this site because they have now just corrected it!

• Funny 1

Well the highlight of the first half was Samuel's who showed some nice touches,good positioning and good passes,the goal, which amazingy was a shot from outside the box.We said week after week we need to shoot more rather than pass into the goal.We do that today and score.

Good to see Doran and MaGregor,Thompson and Co get  run out.

I have to say passing back and sideways non stop is boring to watch.

When said and done banana skin avoided.

• Like 1

We got the job done, which was the main thing seeing what happened in some other games.

I thought we started well and were trying to utilise the pace of Samuel, but after the early disallowed goal by Doran, we reverted to slow build up play and taking passes when shots were on for most of the first half. Gilmour’s goal was needed as otherwise the first half would have been one of our worst 45s this season.

We showed a bit more urgency at the start of the second half and should have been 2 up with the penalty. I felt the red was a bit harsh but he was wresting with Doran for about 10 yards! Samuel’s kick was saved comfortably but he made amends a short time later with Carragher getting the assist.

We failed to capitalise until the late double from Brooks added gloss to the score line. MacKay also pulled off one fine save to maintain the clean sheet.

We started as a 3 5 2 with Duffy and Longstaff as wing backs, with all of Anderson, Carson and Gilmour in central midfield. We switched to 4 at the back late on after Ujdur went off, with Longstaff at left back. He did ok, but I felt Duffy was the more dangerous of the wide players. Carson had a quiet first half but made some decent passes after the break.

It was good to see Doran and MacGregor get game time, along with Samuel and Brooks being amongst the goals.

So job done with a good result after a largely unconvincing performance.

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank You 2

43 minutes ago, Jack Waddington said:

I hope we get Ross County in the next ro...

Speaking of the next round, the draw is tomorrow and the chances are we won’t get a team we are favourites to beat.

I think the only remaining teams who are below us in the league are Ayr, Bonnyrigg and Cove/Brora (oh, and hopefully Buckie too!)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Moogthurso said:

How was Adam Brooks. 

I still think there is a player there or was this just his level?

He came on for Doran and got just over half an hour. He took his goals very well (the first was a cracking finish) and all the players seemed delighted for him.

I think he does have potential. He is still young and learning.

I’m not sure if Doran got a knock in the penalty incident, as he headed towards the touch line behind the goal for a few moments after it. Hopefully his substitution was just a precaution. Someone commented above that Doran should have taken the penalty but I don’t think he was ready to, given the nature of the challenge. I can’t argue with a striker stepping up to take it although Gilmour may have been a better option at the time.

A shout out to the ground staff. The pitch held up very well and didn’t look to be cutting up at all. A few seasons back there’s no way the game would have gone ahead. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Well Said 1

3 hours ago, Yngwie said:

4-0 FT. Biggest Scottish Cup margin of victory this afternoon, which surely makes us favourites for the tournament. 😀

1 hour ago, Jack Waddington said:

I hope we get Ross County in the next ro...

🎶🎶🎶
Big team, big cup
Wee team, wee cup
🎶🎶🎶
😂😂😂

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

A cup win is a cup win.. we're in the last 16.

First half was a struggle against what is basically a Highland league team, huffed and puffed until Gilmore battered in a goal off someone's leg.

Thank feck!

Second half was one sided helped by a red card and pen (pysh attempt)

Samuel's made up for it by scoring the second.

Brooks added 2 which glossed over a potential trip of a tie.

Again we played so many passes back and fore it became a bore!  There is a great need for a midfielder with vision and drive to connect the striker (s)

Anyway I'm fairly happy we're in the draw and Samuel's looks like he could be a good addition to the squad.

• Like 1

Passing back and fore is the core teaching of modern day defensive coaching. Does anyone actually think that Dunc will change that ? I suspect that many would love to play the Pele Paterson way but those days are unfortunately gone. That is why it has to be quicker and more accurate when it goes forward - and that requires sharp thinking midfielders and pacy finishers. Have we got what is needed ?

• Agree 1

The scoreline flattered us.  Broomhill were very poor and this should have been an opportunity to take a few risks with taking players on and playing more adventurous balls into space.  We didn't do that though. For most of the game it was boring tippy tappy passing going absolutely nowhere.  When we did play a ball behind the defence, it was either misdirected or had too much on it.  Had Gilmour's shot not found its way through a crowded box just before half time, I am sure the team would have been booed off at half time.  Broomhill went down to 10 men early in the 2nd half.  The man advantage on top of what should be better fitness levels should have resulted in us using the width of the pitch to really stretch the opposition.  Whilst we dominated possession, we never created much.  Fortunately, Brooks was sharper in the box than the tiring Broomhill defenders and Samuel took his chance to make amends for his poor effort from the spot.

Despite his penalty miss, Samuel deservedly got the sponsors MOTM award.  Given that he is apparently not good enough for the County matchday squad, that says a lot about the level the rest of out team is at.  The answer to IHE's question is "no".  We haven't got what is needed.  Of course it is great to be through to the last 16 of the cup, but if we don't play better than this in the league for the rest of the season, we are going to be struggling to avoid the drop.

• Agree 4

• tm4tj unpinned this topic