FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Our Internationalist

Guest eliza

Guest eliza

Don't have Sky, so was watching Sky Sports News and, maybe I dreamed this, but the announcer said Romania 3 Russia 0 and the scorers were somebody, somebody, and (I think)(I hope) a Marius Niculae!!!!

Was our Marius and, if so, HURRAY! HURRAY!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Soccer-Romania beat Russia 3-0 in friendly

Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:43pm GMT

BUCHAREST, March 26 (Reuters) - Romania beat Russia 3-0 in a friendly on Wednesday with goals from strikers Ciprian Marica, Daniel Nicuale and Marius Niculae.

Romania dominated the match against a Russian team drawn entirely from the domestic championship, with VfB Stuttgart striker Marica opening the scoring from the edge of the area on the stroke of half-time.

Coach Victor Piturca took off Adrian Mutu and Cristian Chivu at the break and substitute Daniel Niculae made it 2-0 after 60 minutes.

Inverness forward Marius Niculae scored the third with a header from Banel Nicolita's cross from the right in the 76th.

Marius Popa made his debut in goal for Romania when he replaced the unwell Bogdan Lobont.

By the way, there is a thread on the non ict board covering the international games tonight.  Yes our Marius did score from a simple tap in header from three yards, decent cross set him up.  If you play with quality players, you get quality service, unfortuanately he is playing his bread and butter games with ICT.

Guest eliza

WELL DONE, MARIUS!!!!!  So absolutely chuffed for you! 

Is Marius our first ICT Internationalist to score a goal?  History books to the ready, please.

I am so pleased, so really pleased, I can hardly type!  WELL DONE, our Marius!

Critics note - doubters note - oh ye of little faith!  I am quite sure Russia were no pushover, just as Croatia etc and any other team that Scotland play now or in the future in similar "friendlies".  :021:

BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) -- Romania beat Russia 3-0 in their friendly international in Bucharest, a day after Russia coach Guus Hiddink signed a new two-year contract.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SPORT/football...es.round-up.ap/

Niculae (left) is congratulated by team-mates after scoring in Romania's 3-0 victory over Russia.

Ciprian Marica gave Romania a 1-0 lead on the stroke of half-time with a left-foot strike past goalkeeper Igor Akinfeyev.

Daniel Niculae doubled the lead in the 62nd with a shot from the edge of the area, after taking a pass from Marius Niculae.

Niculae himself added the third with a header from six meters out with 15 minutes remaining.

The match was one of four friendlies the Russians have lined-up ahead of Euro 2008 in June. Romania have one further warm-up match against Montenegro.

Is Marius our first ICT Internationalist to score a goal? History books to the ready, please.

The X Man must have scored for Canada while he was with us, I'm sure. Perhaps even Hastings might have scored for them some time?

A rare bit of positive news. We know how much the call-up meant to him, and a goal is a real bonus.

And will help us get a transfer fee for him this summer.

(PS Hasting scored  a vital goal for Canada in the Gold Cup, in 2000 I think)

Is Marius our first ICT Internationalist to score a goal?  History books to the ready, please.

The X Man must have scored for Canada while he was with us, I'm sure. Perhaps even Hastings might have scored for them some time?

Speaking of Hastings.  He played for Canada tonight in their 2-0 defeat by Estonia.

Not sure if the 'x-man' scored either of his 2 international goals whilst at ICT (think it may have been just before he joined) but Richard Hastings certainly did. He scored a 'golden goal' in extra-time in the quarter finals against Mexico on Feb 20th 2000 (after flying out directly from that Celtic game). Canada won the competition that year and Hastings was awarded as "Rookie of the Tournament".

From the Canadian message boards tonight, Hastings is being mentioned as one of the few that get pass marks. seems he had a decent game.

Really chuffed Niculae scored.

Hopefully this has increased his chances of leaving in the summer with us getting a healthly transfer fee into the bargain.

Lets get back to what we are good at - all the players on roughly the same wages, great team spirit, great work ethic with no 'superstars'.

Oh and we need a great manager as well, anybody know of one??

Well done Marius  :clapping03:

Will probably make other clubs sit up and take notice of him,  but deserves to play with better players.  I agree with IHE he has no great pace,  in a slower league he'll be a great player.  Would not be surprised to see him move to the continent in the summer.  Good news all round I think, hopefully a ?500k +  transfer fee for him too!

Another international goal on his CV won't do him (or us) any harm at all....  :022:

But let's not get carried away here... the Russian defending was terrible... Marius and his mate were queing up to nod the ball into virtually an empty net...

Opportunities like that don't present themselves too often in the SPL.

Well done Marius  :clapping03:

Will probably make other clubs sit up and take notice of him,  but deserves to play with better players.  I agree with IHE he has no great pace,  in a slower league he'll be a great player.  Would not be surprised to see him move to the continent in the summer.  Good news all round I think, hopefully a ?500k +  transfer fee for him too!

I'm pleased for him that he both managed to be selected and that he scored, but I really don't think people in Europe will be queueing up for him, and certainly not for half a million pounds. Mainz 05 got him on a free transfer for the second part of the 2006/2007, and he didn't manage to do anything to stop them relegating, and I can't remember any other 1. Bundesliga teams trying to get hold of him, unlike many of the other Mainz players who did get transfers to other 1. Bundesliga clubs. Nor did any clubs in Belgium show interest to my knowledge, even though he'd only been out of Belgium since the 2006/2007 winter break.

Well done Marius   :clapping03:

Although I feel that Marius may well have deserved his "bow" in Bucharest - a la Beckham - and delighted that he scored  - I cannot help but feeling saddened that this is just another episode in a behind the doors Orion sleaze season at ICT.  :018:

Lets be honest - on form this season - would WE have been mounting a campaign fer Marius to play fer Scotland if he could qualify fer that accolade ??

Guest Get_off_the_park_Wyness!

the Russian defending was terrible... Marius and his mate were queing up to nod the ball into virtually an empty net...

Opportunities like that don't present themselves too often in the SPL.

Are you for real? You think that the SPL is of a higher standard than international football? :017:

Are you for real? You think that the SPL is of a higher standard than international football? :017:

At certain international levels.... yes.

Marius has scored 6 or 7 goals for us in the SPL so far this season... None of these were as easy as the gift he was presented with last night...