FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The Tartan March

Beatonio

Good Evening all!

I am sure most of you are aware of a charity walk that a group of ICT supporters do every year, from the penultimate fixture to the last, namely 'The Highland March'. This idea was devised around 7 years ago by Steve Taylor (A.K.A 'Yompa' - formerly 'interthenet') in the Market Bar and has since gone from strength to strength, raising thousands of pounds for a number of good causes.

Well, at the end of last season, while we were walking from Falkirk back to TCS, I had a 'wee' idea. Having done 3 Highland Marches to date, I wondered how I could challenge myself that little bit more, so I looked at the Scotland fixtures for the current qualification campaign. Away to Norway, 19th August (FIFA have since changed this date to the 12th). Home to Macedonia, 5th September. Perfect. I then managed to recruit 3 like-minded ICT-supporting idiots to come along with me, Laura Mitchell (A.K.A Lady Madonna), Calum Slater and Michael Laidlaw.

The route we take through Norway and the U.K is completely dependant on ferries. Unfortunately, the Bergen to Newcastle ferry link has recently been cancelled, so we are trying to find alternatives. Once we know how and when we are getting across the North Sea, we'll finalise a route. We already have a number of potentials mapped out, and are expecting to walk at least 450 miles over the 3 weeks.

Our accomodation along the way will consist of mountain bothies and a bit of camping. There are areas in Norway which are totally isolated, the Hardangervidda national park area for example, so our tents will definately be used!

We have already had two meetings at Hampden with the SFA's Marketing Manager, Colin Banks. He was very enthusiastic about this idea and is willing to help wherever he can, which is fantastic. He has offered to donate items for charity auctions, and most importantly to use his contacts in the media to get our idea in the press, which will obviously raise awareness of the walk and get people on to our website to donate. He even spoke to David Tanner at Sky Sports, and we are hoping to have a televised interview with them around the time of the Iceland home tie in April. We should also have a wee bit in the match programme too, which is all exciting stuff!

Now, the most important part, the charities. We agreed with Colin that we will help the SFA raise money for it's two nominated charities - The Tartan Army Children's Charity (www.tartanarmychildrenscharity.org.uk) and The Scottish Huntingtons Association (www.hdscotland.org). I'm sure you will agree they are both very worthy causes and we are honoured to help them reach their fundraising goals. All money we raise will be split 50/50 between the two.

Between now and next August, with the help of the SFA and the two charities, we will be hosting a number of fundraising events in the Inverness, Edinburgh and Glasgow areas. Nothing set in stone as of yet, but we have permission for gigs at the Ironworks and Hootananny's, and we are also arranging two football competitions at the Bught for the summer, one for U-16's, one for adults.

Also, for anybody travelling with the Tartan Army to the Netherlands in late March 2009, I am trying to arrange a 'Tartan Party' in Amsterdam with Tennents' Lager, which should be fun... especially after we beat the Dutch. :rotflmao:

So, that's what we are doing in a nutshell. If you would like any more information, or can offer assistance of any sort, please contact me. I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions!

We also have a website, please visit us at www.tartanmarch.com, where you can leave a comment or make a donation. This is where you can find any info about upcoming charity events, and find out how we are getting on. We have only recently set up the website and started taking donations, it still needs a wee bit of work but we're getting there!!!

You can contact me personally via email (mbeatonio@hotmail.com) or phone (07835069044). I know I shouldn't really be giving my number out here, but I'm not yet online at my new flat in Edinburgh, so it's the best way to contact me just now!

Last, but certainly not least, a huge THANK YOU to our very own CaleyD. Donald has been very supportive in getting the website up and running and has also volunteered to be our support driver for the 3 weeks in Norway and the U.K., which is a huge sacrifice to make. What a bloke!

Thanks also to Yompa for inspiring this charity walk with the Highland March, and for his words of encouragement and support. I hope to see you, and the new 'Gringo', at some training hikes very soon!

Martin Beaton

From what I have heard in the organising and set up of this event, it really is very well organised and I am devistated I cannot take part due to work and family commitments. Hats off to all the troops for this event!!!

I truely am heartbroken I cannot be with you guys! to me this is like a Highland League player getting an International call-up. A once-in a lifetime opertunity that should and cannot be missed, when suddenly you suffer a career threatening injury in training. At least I can say I am extremely honoured to have had some part in helping you get there, by providing company and encouragement to you during Highland Marches, and making sure you never quit when things get touch. You're a great bunch of people, and I wish you all every success for this venture.

Cap doffed to all taking part . :rotflmao: :thumb04: :018:

The Godfather here, Chumba, me old mate....

As I said on the Tartan March site, I applaud your vision, your sense of adventure, your appreciation of the difficulty of organising something on this scale, but above all I applaud your commitment to doing something that you love so dearly.

As you already know, I'm holding back holidays from work this year in order that I can join you for part of the way, and my own sense of adventure says "done Scotland, like the sound of Norway" but we'll just have to see how work pans out nearer the time.

Am I right in thinking, sir, that the participation of Team Chumba in the TM means that your places on HM7 are up for grabs? If yes, then maybe we can tempt a few new marchers to join Colonel Gringo and myself on the march to the great unknown on May 16th.

Respect!

Colonel Yompa

• 3 weeks later...