FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

When Will We Get Our Own Identity?

Guest birdog

Birdog, if you want to keep politics out of it then perhaps you need to start taking things more at face value instead of reading more into it than is necessary. Such things only become a problem when someone turns it into one, and I am of the opinion that they are the ones who need to adjust their thinking and not everyone else.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the club is still young and it is only a few short years since we were two clubs who were staunch rivals of each other but when do you think our club will have enough of our own history for our fans to claim our own identity? Do we still hang on to old allegiances from the "big" teams we used to support?

One of our more popular chants "Care/Stand Free" is a chant which Aberdeen made their own many years before the merger, we have seen sectarianism creep into the stands with the "Bobby Sands" song and BJK banner earlier in the season and now I have noticed a signature on these forums referring to "Bloody Sunday", I understand that the user is trying to play on Butcher's blood soaked bandage but to many of the older users on this site Bloody Sunday will mean something a lot more sinister.

Can we not find our own identity instead of latching on to other clubs chants and political affiliations?

the BJK banner is just not acceptable in any ground, if the person who took it to a game is on this site maybe you can answer these questions

1 how do you know what Jock Stein did or did not know

2 who helped the injured at the ibrox disaster?

3 who helped to carry the poor dead souls from the ground on the same day?

4 who died at the t4rack side managing SCOTLAND?

keep the banner away from our games and don't bring the decent supporters down to your gutter level

in respect of the Bobby Sands songs i think these idiots should stay away from our games and not drag a good club into the political gutter, i doubt if any of them know what they're even singing about

To be honest this discussion was dealt with at the time, I only brought it up to highlight the fact supporters of our club need their own identity to distance themselves from this pish, I believe the guys involved acted through ignorance and the want to create an atmosphere, sadly they got it wrong.

i missed it at the time, mibbae i was on the drink

:rotflmao:

Nobody will sing the caledonia song because it's slow, boring, and depressing.

Find a catchy upbeat song, then change the words.

How about never gonna give you up by rick astley? :rotflmao:

Ever listened to "Walk on" belted from the Kop? That is hardly a catchy upbeat song but there is little to beat it.

EDIT Flower of Scotland is pretty slow, depressing and defeatist but it still get sung at Scotland internationals.

Edited by birdog

glory glory terry butcher

as the caley jags go marching on on on!!!!!!!

who are ya! who are ya! who are ya!

ye cannae getta job! ye cannae getta job! in yer falkirk slum

lets concentrate on real culture instead of all that poetic caledonia sh###. sing that guff and we will look as bad as that lot that sing that northern light crap. Sneckie is a modern sophisticated city that doesnt need to adopt false superficial stances to make our point. lets just carry on having fun.

caledonia dont talk crap

Edited by DRAGAN

lets concentrate on real culture instead of all that poetic caledonia sh###. sing that guff and we will look as bad as that lot that sing that northern light crap. Sneckie is a modern sophisticated city that doesnt need to adopt false superficial stances to make our point. lets just carry on having fun.

caledonia dont talk crap

Good chants, all done before but how about a nice wee anthem to stir the blood before kick off? Suggest a few discuss and maybe we can get the PA guy to play it prior to kick off then join in, I am sure we can get a rousing pre battle song together.

I don't know if you can see

The changes that have come over me

In these last few days I've been afraid

That I might drift away

So I've been telling old stories, singing songs

That make me think about where I came from

And that's the reason why I seem

So far away today

Oh, but let me tell you that I love you

That I think about you all the time

Caledonia CaleyJags you're calling me

And now I'm going home

If I should become a stranger

You know that it would make me more than sad

CaleyJags been everything

I've ever had

Now I have moved and I've kept on moving

Proved the points that I needed proving

Lost the friends that I needed losing

Found others on the way

I have kissed the ladies and left them crying

Stolen dreams, yes there's no denying

I have travelled hard with coattails flying

Somewhere in the wind

(Chorus)

Now I'm sitting here before the fire

The empty room, the forest choir

The flames that could not get any higher

They've withered now they've gone

But I'm steady thinking my way is clear

And I know what I will do tomorrow

When the hands are shaken and the kisses flow

Then I will disappear

Copied and pasted the whole song but I reckon the highlighted verses would be enough. We need an anthem.

I suggested this one before mate, though I had 'thistle' in instead of jags. Trouble is its quite a difficult song to sing as a crowd. Oh and I had slightly different words.

The passion that has come over me

Since 94 I've been afraid

That it would die away

But I've been supporting, singing, shouting

Trying to help the team to play

And thats the reason I believe

Success is on its way

So let me tell you that I love you

And I think about you all the time

Caley Thistle you're calling me

And now I'm calling you

I could never be a stranger

You know it would make me more than sad

Caley Thistle's been everything I've ever had.

Nobody will sing the caledonia song because it's slow, boring, and depressing.

Find a catchy upbeat song, then change the words.

How about never gonna give you up by rick astley? :rotflmao:

We need a signature tune like "Hearts, Hearts Glorious Hearts". Catchy, upbeat and free from any bigotry.

I think a songwriting competition is a good idea, and if someone can sort a prize (season ticket or home/away kit?) for the winner then there should be a good few entries.

caledonia dont talk crap

It would work quite well with a big group singing it and maybe speeding it up slightly. Works pretty well at Scotland games getting the crowd going!!

You can hardely slate Caledonia and then offer 'who are ya, who are ya' 'Ye canne get a job' :rotflmao: Real classic you got there

I suggested this one before mate, though I had 'thistle' in instead of jags. Trouble is its quite a difficult song to sing as a crowd. Oh and I had slightly different words.

The passion that has come over me

Since 94 I've been afraid

That it would die away

But I've been supporting, singing, shouting

Trying to help the team to play

And thats the reason I believe

Success is on its way

So let me tell you that I love you

And I think about you all the time

Caley Thistle you're calling me

And now I'm calling you

I could never be a stranger

You know it would make me more than sad

Caley Thistle's been everything I've ever had.

I like that. If we could come up with a pre kick off anthem (I am in favour of this version but others are not obviously) what are the chances of getting the words into the match programs and getting the PA to play the tune before each match until it becomes second nature?

everyone will laugh at us.

lets not try to manufacture a false image.

everyone loves us so lets just keep developing naturally instead of singing that soppy shi##.

if the PA starts playing that pish just before kick off i am staying in the pie queue until 3.05pm

what a cringy embarrassment!!

i would rather aggressive in yer face chants!!!!

everton play the Z Cars tune before KO

at this rate you guys will have the PA playing the Take The High Road theme tune before kick off

get a grip guys please

if the PA starts playing that pish just before kick off i am staying in the pie queue until 3.05pm

what a cringy embarrassment!!

i would rather aggressive in yer face chants!!!!

Having gone through all the posts in this thread it seems to me you might be the only one in the pie queue.

lets just keep developing naturally instead of singing that soppy shi##.

One of the few sensible posts on this thread.

What did fans of the world's greatest clubs sing in the first 15 years of their existence? Nothing.

everyone will laugh at us.

everyone loves us so lets just keep developing naturally instead of singing that soppy shi##.

In what way is it manufacturing a false image? I am talking about getting a song together which will get a large section of the crowd in the mood for singing, chanting and shouting. An anthem or signature song if you like, not one which is sung for 90 minutes but one which will stir the crowd pre match and during lulls in the play. There will still be room for your infantile chants during the match.

It's always amazed me why the obvious is not sung, instead of Caley clap, clap, clap why not In-ver-ness, In-ver-ness, In-ver-ness, IN VER NESS

Or is it too much to DROP the other two words?

Ab-er-deen do it to serious noise level and whilst I think it's very basic it DOES work and it is LOUD and reaches a much better finale!!

lets just keep developing naturally instead of singing that soppy shi##.

One of the few sensible posts on this thread.

What did fans of the world's greatest clubs sing in the first 15 years of their existence? Nothing.

Thanks Yngwie. We should be very very proud of who we are and what we have done!

We dont need gimmicks

Edited by DRAGAN

or All For Mairi's Wedding

Step a gaily on we go

Heel for heel

and toe for toe

I thought you were against having people laugh at us? Who the feck is Mairi BTW?

"Ring of fire" was tried before, that is a possibility, especially now we have a new manager.

or All For Mairi's Wedding

Step a gaily on we go

Heel for heel

and toe for toe

I thought you were against having people laugh at us? Who the feck is Mairi BTW?

"Ring of fire" was tried before, that is a possibility, especially now we have a new manager.

I was just trying to predict what you would come up with next.

Seriously just let it develop naturally