FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

improving the home form

TSTtiger

home form has for quite some time been somewhere between patchy and pish. if we're to win the league again thats got to change pretty rapidly.

its hard to say what exactly is the cause,.. atmosphere, more pressure,different mindset/style of play etc have been muted as the cause but whatever it is we should be putting it right now.

we've tried playing in the away tops before but i'd like to see us shoot into the bridge end from the first half seen as how important the first goal can be. a few years back i'd shudder at the thought but it cant really hurt now given our home form anyway.

I think it would be a huge help if the Main Stand could be a lot more positive and get behind the team 100%.

Sadly they are too keen to relish any misplaced pass.

I think it would be a huge help if the Main Stand could be a lot more positive and get behind the team 100%.

:028: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have heard the Main Stand being blamed for something but never for causing a poor home record :lol:

I never hear the North Stand exactly rocking either to be honest

:028: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have heard the Main Stand being blamed for something but never for causing a poor home record :lol:

I never hear the North Stand exactly rocking either to be honest

where do you sit then?

Under Steve Paterson ICT used score for fun and that's the key here. A defensive style may well work for some away games but attacking football has to return at the Tulloch Arena. I can remember when ICT were said to be the most entertaining team in Britain. Can't say the same now. Attacking football at home especially will make the chances of the 1st Division trophy much better, will pull a bigger crowd and sell more season tickets. Look at what happened when Mowbray went to Hibs. He played attractive attacking football and low and behold the season ticket sales went up. Bring back attacking football to Inverness. That's what's needed.

Edit - And another thing. ICT used to have a good home record due to having a huge pitch. The biggest, or one of the biggest at the time in Britain IIRC. I believe it still is one of the bigger ones. What Paterson used to do was play the ball as wide as possible, keeping the wingers on the wings (something that does seem to be finally re-emerging under Terry Butcher) and getting passed the other teams. For years now ICT have been far too narrow.

And one final thing to notice. Why is it than when ever a goal kick is going to be taken, both teams wander along to one side of the field. It's like sheep following the leader. I've even noticed both Tokely and Proctor (when playing right-back) plod over onto the centre-left side of the pitch. Why? Is it a wind thing moving the ball that way? What I'd do if I were boss would be having them move over but having one shoot wide out to the side. For example. Esson's about to take a goal kick and the whole team move to the left. Johnny Hayes is playing right midfield and runs over to the line just before Esson kicks it forward. Esson can then punt the ball over to him as best he can and doesn't even need to get it off the ground of its going fast enough and Hayes can then control it and run down the line. He'd be in acres of space at this point and can try and ping the ball into the box. Jack Charlton used a system sililar to this with Ireland to some success and would be a great tactic for ICT to use when something like this happens.

Edited by Renegade

Under Steve Paterson ICT used score for fun and that's the key here. A defensive style may well work for some away games but attacking football has to return at the Tulloch Arena. Attacking football at home especially will make the chances of the 1st Division trophy much better, will pull a bigger crowd and sell more season tickets. Look at what happened when Mowbray went to Hibs. He played attractive attacking football and low and behold the season ticket sales went up. Bring back attacking football to Inverness. That's what's needed.

Could not agree more Renegade, it does not matter how many you concede as long as you score more than the opposition. I remember our last time in Division 1 and one of the memories from then was that there were a large amount of games where heading into the last quarter of the match either drawing or one down I would still be very confident of a goal or two in the last twenty minutes, unfortunately I cannot say the same these days.

Under Steve Paterson ICT used score for fun and that's the key here. A defensive style may well work for some away games but attacking football has to return at the Tulloch Arena. I can remember when ICT were said to be the most entertaining team in Britain. Can't say the same now. Attacking football at home especially will make the chances of the 1st Division trophy much better, will pull a bigger crowd and sell more season tickets. Look at what happened when Mowbray went to Hibs. He played attractive attacking football and low and behold the season ticket sales went up. Bring back attacking football to Inverness. That's what's needed.

Edit - And another thing. ICT used to have a good home record due to having a huge pitch. The biggest, or one of the biggest at the time in Britain IIRC. I believe it still is one of the bigger ones. What Paterson used to do was play the ball as wide as possible, keeping the wingers on the wings (something that does seem to be finally re-emerging under Terry Butcher) and getting passed the other teams. For years now ICT have been far too narrow.

And one final thing to notice. Why is it than when ever a goal kick is going to be taken, both teams wander along to one side of the field. It's like sheep following the leader. I've even noticed both Tokely and Proctor (when playing right-back) plod over onto the centre-left side of the pitch. Why? Is it a wind thing moving the ball that way? What I'd do if I were boss would be having them move over but having one shoot wide out to the side. For example. Esson's about to take a goal kick and the whole team move to the left. Johnny Hayes is playing right midfield and runs over to the line just before Esson kicks it forward. Esson can then punt the ball over to him as best he can and doesn't even need to get it off the ground of its going fast enough and Hayes can then control it and run down the line. He'd be in acres of space at this point and can try and ping the ball into the box. Jack Charlton used a system sililar to this with Ireland to some success and would be a great tactic for ICT to use when something like this happens.

When I was watching the Ayr game I dont think it was that we were too defensive because we controled the game and we played most of the game in the Ayr half. One major problem that I saw from that game was that when we got into the final third the player were too scared to just hit the ball at goal. You felt as though if they didnt get a shot on target they would never play again so they tried to walk the ball in. I do agree that we probably could have been more attacking by getting the LB and RB to overlap the wingers on every occasion we get the ball in the oppositions half and just leave to 2 CB's and one of the CM to cover any counter attacks and when the players get a opening they just have to have a go and if it goes off target I would be dissapointed yes but glad that they had the effort rather than ***** footing about always wanting somebody else to take the responsiblitiy.

I also think that now we are trying to keep the ball on the ground more often and dont want to hoof the ball long. Playing the long ball never worked for us in previous seasons because we never had a target man. Playing long balls to the likes of Wyness and Dargo is stupid and we still dont really have a target man so the ball has to be played on the deck preferably out to the wings to see Hayes get to the byline and swing one in the box or for Tokley to go steaming outside of him and he swings it in instead

I definetly agree that we have been too narrow over the past few years every since the likes of Barry Robson left the club. Butcher has recognised that and has brought in Hayes who loves to get to the byline and I reckon Imrie will be the same when he gets back fit.

I agree.

A more positve game plan from TB, more willingness to shoot from the players and more willingness to support the team from the fans.

Is it any wonder the players don't have the confidence to be positive when some sections of the club's supposed support groans and even boos them when it goes wrong. Better to have 3 shots landing in the car park and one in the back of the net than no shots at all. Lets applaud a positive attitude and encourage them to try again rather than boo a poor bit of play.

Maybe those who boo'd Lionel can buy a ticket for the other end of the ground next home match and cheer for Partick - that won't have such a negative effect on our players because it won't be obvious that some of our own so called support is actually helping the opposition.

The team should go on a 3 hour coach journey before each home game.

I'm not sure that that this isn't the very thing. Footballers as we know are creatures of habit clinging to myth and ritual. When you have them all in one space for that amount of time, the management are free to work with their morale and attitude. They can be compared to soldiers going into battle. I have no idea when they turn up to TCS (perhaps someone can tell us), but I suspect it is a lot shorter lead time.

Familiar surroundings + the proximity of home+ interuptions = complacency and distraction.

Maybe the management want to look at the prematch prep ritual. A pint or two at the Gellions, perhaps. Certainly worked for <name withheld>

I think a wee bus run across the bridge, pre match, and offer the players a look at Victoria Park - their new home if they do not play well.

They should then be made to walk through Dingwall, savouring the sights and smells of the 'gadgies' and I would suggest that the bus back to the park would be full of very motivated players, ready to attack any team to get the result to keep them away from this potential fate.

I think a wee bus run across the bridge, pre match, and offer the players a look at Victoria Park - their new home if they do not play well.

They should then be made to walk through Dingwall, savouring the sights and smells of the 'gadgies' and I would suggest that the bus back to the park would be full of very motivated players, ready to attack any team to get the result to keep them away from this potential fate.

Nice one! :rolleyes::lol: :D :D

QUOTE (absent friend @ Sep 14 2009, 12:05 PM) *

I love it - rolling on floor at the thought :D :rolleyes::lol: :D :D :P

I started reading this and had a flash back of a scene from slumdog millionaire, of a county fan covered in sh1te walking through other fans to get to Craig Brewster for an autograph.

We need more crazy fans or hypnotise the main stand to think that they have travelled for 5 days to get to the match,it seems that the more time you spend travelling to the match the more you give of yourself, whereas some people just turn up at a home game and wait to be entertained.

The Main Stand should be blamed for everything.. haha

Why we are sh1te at home

Why we got relegated

Why lionels soo bad at football.......