FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Who'd be a football manager?

Caleyjag

Following Ayr beating Hibs in the cup tonight, BBC Radio Scotland and Chick Young were speculating over Colin Calderwood's position as Hibs boss i.e. should he still have it? I think this is shocking, he hasn't even had a transfer window to try to put his influence on the team (admittedly we're in one now) how can Hibs fans justify calling for his head?

I don't think that Scottish football is the worst offender for this, looking down south, who would have wanted to be Avram Grant this week? With 'Sources' leaking all over the place that he was going to be relieved of his position, if I were him I would have put any journalist who asked me about my job to name his source, talk about being stabbed in the back!

I think I heard recently that the average duration of a manager in the English leagues has fallen to 13 months.

What's the reason? Impatience of the fans, or impatience of the Board (who are under pressure from the fans)?

Its amazing isn't it, would any of us realistically take a job with such poor prospects of still being in the post only 18 months later?

I think that generally speaking fans are a lot more impatient now, and also they know that with enough pressure a manager can be removed from his post, either through pressure to resign or by a board sacking him. For these clubs the grass is always greener, if Aberdeen had their time again, would they have kept Jimmy Calderwood? Credit to Colin Calderwood though, tonight he has come out fighting and I at least have my fingers crossed for him.

Edited by Caleyjag

If i were Calderwood id shoot my entire team for lack of effort and desrie. He has a good track record down south and was a great player. He has been in charge of what? 9 games? To even think about getting rid of him is ludicrous.

Apart from a couple of saves i thought Ayr Utd looked very comfortable most of the game. That must be quite worrying given that Zemmama, Miller and Riordan on the field at once.

They remind me of Liverpool, too many underperformers and average joes and imo are in need of a complete overhaul.

Edited by ajsict92

Sadly I think Calderwoods days will already be numbered - like the MacGee situation at Pittodirie the players just look dis-interested and arent putting in effort, there may be a transfer windown but he cant revolustionise the whole team without cash. Apart from Stokes and a few other lesser players this is the same team that was pushing for Europe last season, nothing has changed but mentality.

Looking at the next 3 fixtures

Saturday, 22 January 2011 Clydesdale Bank Premier League Motherwell v Hibernian, 15:00 Wednesday, 26 January 2011 Clydesdale Bank Premier League Hibernian v Rangers, 19:45 Sunday, 30 January 2011 Clydesdale Bank Premier League Dundee Utd v Hibernian, 13:15

By the start of Feb and the home game V's St Midden, CC may well be out the door - realistically they look unlikely to get anything from the above 3 games. Time to stop paying these prima donnas wages (not just at hibs but any club, basic salary and big bonuses not the other way round)