FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Adam Rooney

mikeyrob73

Let's hope he does better there than Lee Cox. Cox just got 2 starts for Swindon and is now out on loan at Oxford. It's a funny old world - whenever we sign players struggling in the nether reaches of the English league folk moan about lack of quality yet Cox is a player most of us would love to have kept. There are very few who seem to do do better once they leave ICT.

There is something about ICT which brings the best out in players. It must be the great atmoshere inside the TCS and vocal support of the massive crowds. :tongueincheek:

• Agree 1

Also seen some posts that it may be turned into a permanent deal - could be a good move for Rooney as he may have a better shot at a regular spot under Di Canio

Interestingly Swindon fans reaction is that he will have to be exceptional to break up their current front two partnership - will watch with interest as to how this plays out

He was subbed just after half time yesterday. More interestingly, Di Canio also subbed the goalie after 20 odd minutes as he felt he was at error for the first Preston goal. The goalie went off, kicking a water bottle (a la Lennon) and watched the rest of the game from the stand. Di Canio later called him the worst professional he'd ever seen. In true Di Canio style, they made up today!

If he can't make it at Swindon then he is not going to get the breakthrough he would have been hoping for. As many have found out before, if you don't kick on when there is the opportunity then nobody wants to know you. He started off pretty well at Birmingham but was not able to get a run in the first team and has now dropped down the pecking order. His confidence will be gone and if he comes back here he will struggle. He should have stayed here for another season in familar surroundings. A good season in the SPL would have made him a a much more marketable commodity. A two year contract with the intention of selling him on after one would have done both him and the club a lot of good.

Having said that, I can't say I blame him, it is difficult for these young lads to turn down offers of significantly more money especially when they probably have unrealistic expectations of what they might acheive. As for having him back here, I would hope that with the options now available to us there would be absolutely no reason why Terry would feel the need to take him back.

Played 96 minutes for Swindon today in their 1 - 0 defeate by league 2 side Oxford (for whom Cox was not playing) According to the BBC live updates Rooney did not make much of an impact. The only mention was.

"Adam Rooney has an effort at goal from close range which goes wide left of the goal."

Oh dear! Not the best way to grasp a new opportunity. Sounds as though he will struggle to get a game after that.

I think adam was unfortunate at Birmingham.

He would have been 2nd or 3rd choice striker when he first joined the Blues, as all the had was Zigic. But only a week or two after adam arrived, they brought in Marlon King. King was immense for the blues and with a fully fit Zigic, there was no real place for adam but the bench.

I sincerely hope he comes good at swindon and makes an impact.

I think some people on here remember only Rooney's good times at ICT. Admittedly these were in his last couple of seasons with us. Before that he struggled to get a regular game and was only an infrequent scorer. Even when he was scoring regularly, many of them were penalties, which we get so rarely now, we've forgotten how to score them!

He left us to further his career for all the right reasons, and I still hope it will work out for him down south. I don't think for a minute he'd come back here, and if he did many folks expectations of him would, I believe, be too high.

• Agree 1

Not that many of them were penalties. When Rooney got his most regular run in the team (SFL1 season and 1st SPL season) he scored 48 goals in all competitions (League and Cup [excluding North of Scotland Cup and Friendlies] ) 13 of which were penalties or 27%.

To be honest, I would want my regular goal scorer, high on confidence, to take penalties as there's more chance he would score. People level this idea that a lot of his goals were penalties like it's a bad thing. It's a shame people seem to almost belittle what Rooney did with us.

• Agree 3