FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Butcher to Barnsley? Terry stays put***

RossP

Speculating on all the speculation, with our fan base and income ICT will never be in a position to hold on to managers who might be looking for higher earning offers or so called 'bigger challenges' and that goes for players too, so we just have to live with it and as others have said we have done pretty well so far overall with personnel over the years.

I do wonder though when you look at some managers who have taken every offer going (McLeish, Hughes etc) and then the likes of Tony Pulis or David Moyes who have stayed and achieved something at whatever level their clubs can sustain. Football is a transient game though and there can be no blame attached. It's not so long ago that TB was being slagged off by many so it's his right to work where he wants. Barnsley though? I would have thought he can do better than that in lots of ways.

I do think that he has genuinely enjoyed the successes with us and this season has been a little miracle so far. I hope he stays to see it through. The way clubs are just now there are never any shortage of jobs going. 

I fear he is going to go, will be pleasantly surprised if he stays.

As for possible replacements, here are some that I strongly do not want:

Jimmy Calderwood - vastly overrated

John Robertson - Great manager first time around but I don't think he would be the answer again

Barry Wilson - not ready yet but could be further down the line

Maurice Malpas - he's not a number 1

Anyway hopefully Tel will stay and we can draw breath until the next club comes calling for him.

• Agree 3

Look at Aberdeen and Dunfermline before and after Calderwood. Terrific record. Sure, he spent money but that's because it was given to him to spend. If ICT finished in the top six (almost) every year and ended up in Europe (on the budget that the directors decided they could afford), I wouldn't consider that a failure.

Anyway, it's so easy to say who you don't want without giving any names of who you rate (...and a little premature).

Edited by starchief

Personally I don't want to see Big Tel leave Inverness cause this season has been spectacular and he thoroughly deserves to finish it off in style.

However, we have to be realistic. If he does decide enough is enough and heads down to England then so be it. I thank him for his services at ICT and will also be proud of what he has achieved with us.

In terms of replacements, I see a lot of ex players being branded about. Yeah, that's fine but the lack of experience would worry me. I would like to look to the future and not the past.

Paul Hartley is a good one, doing well for himself at Alloa learning the trade but is he ready for the SPL, I don't know. My outsider choice would be Gordon Strachan. I know it may be difficult to obtain his services but would provide the experience and knowledge for the coming months.

End of the day, I hope Terry Butcher is manager of ICT until at least the end of the season.

Edited by ICTRoughi

I wouldnt say no to Calderwood if Tel did decide to leave. He always kept Aberdeen in the top 6 and he led Dunfermline to a Scottish cup semi final. Kept Kilmarnock in the premier league as well. Could certainly do a lot worse. 

Terry should read this before he decides -

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=50&fid=41&sty=2&act=1&mid=2113506770

Barnsley's financial position

Based on new accounts unto may 2012

Turnover £8.6m down from £11m previuos year some of this down to loss of BBC tv revenue approximate £800,000

Wage bill £6.2m reduced by £1.8m from mark robins reign

Pre tax profit £30,000

Transfer fees paid out approximate £700k

So in effect once the wages are paid the club were left with £2.4m to run the stadium, pay the rates,pay the police etc and leave a transfer kitty

That's the size of the task facing the new boss, credit were credit is due to turn out any profit on those figures is tough.

Like it or not on the playing side and know one can argue it's been poor when you look at the debts of other clubs it's the morals of football that's wrong not BFC we are leaving within our means and trying to compete with teams currently with wealthier owners or £48m parachute payments.

Very tough job awaits someone.

The world of football is so fickle. 6 games into the season there was a thread citing TB replacements when some wanted him out - now we all want him to stay (well I hope we all do). Someone should just reserect the names to spaculate for replacements lol.

TB will stay til the summer, he will be replaced by a young manager as ICT have in the past - Sheerin or Hartley are probably the most likely candidates.

If Terry goes I wonder what Steve Marsella would be like as a manager. Obviously the skill set to manage people is a totally different one to that of a scout, but he clearly has an exceptional eye for talent and appreciates the game. Again it's another wildcard however.

• Agree 1

TBH I'm not fussed if he stays or goes.  He won us the first division, got us to the challenge cup final and kept us in the SPL for 2 seasons.   I'd say he has achieved about par for what we would expect.

On our first season back in the SPL, we were in 3/4th just behind Celtic and Rangers until Christmas, it all went a bit flat in the new year and we ended up in the bottom 6.  Same could happen this year, I actually think a bit of a shake up would do us the world of good.

On the other hand, he is a top bloke and the players obviously really enjoy working with the guy, that would be a far bigger miss than anything he brings as a coach.  He superb at bringing through young players aswell, its been forced on him but theres not been that many misjudgements, certainly no more than anybody else would make.

Being this is winter, I'd much rather he stayed, he should take a chance on us finishing in a decent league position and maybe winning a trophy before looking at his options in the summer.  Until then hes won nothing, maybe for his own sake he should take the bigger contract while its on offer? 

I'd imagine the length of the deal theyre offering will be the biggest factor in his decision making, he won't leave for a 1 year deal no matter the salary.

We still have a manager but if we didnt,  I think a lot of managers would be champing at the bit to sit in TBs chair at ICT.  Moving into his house  and admiring the same views on their way to work.

Still in 2 cups and hope of Europe next year,   if we do finish in 2nd we are talking big bucks and that would have been the old firms share.  Theres also a lot of money coming in from cup games.  

If he does move on he doesnt need to worry about ICT as there will be a long queue of replacements.

People are reporting on Twitter that Butcher has agreed to take the Barnsley job, if he is allowed Malpas as assistant.

Make of that what you will.

Edit - The Telegraph are also saying this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/barnsley/9786293/Terry-Butcher-set-for-for-Barnsley-job-if-he-can-take-Maurice-Malpas-with-him.html

Edited by Renegade

From the Telegraph article: 4 paras that basically say they are speculating ... he might go to Barnsley, he might go to Doncaster or he might stay in Inverness ... everyone has no clue as nobody is returning phonecalls !

"Former England captain Terry Butcher is likely to accept the offer from Barnsley to replace Keith Hill as manager at Oakwell, provided he is able to bring his coaching staff with him."

"Butcher will want to keep them together in order to give himself the best possible opportunity of succeeding with the Championship’s bottom club, presuming he chooses them ahead of the League One side, who have lost Dean Saunders to Wolverhampton Wanderers."

"Indeed, Butcher, a master at motivation, may be tempted to remain in the Highlands unless he is able, for whatever reason, to work with his trusted lieutenants."

"Neither the manager nor Inverness’s director of football, Graeme Bennett, would return calls on Monday but chairman Kenny Cameron confirmed on their official website that Barnsley had been granted permission to speak to Butcher."

Sounds like Paul Mariner is available now !!! Toronto Star and other Canadian news sites are reporting that Mariner was fired today and QPR Defender Ryan Nelsen is taking over as manager (or player/manager) tomorrow. Nothing official on their website other than the fact that TFC have announced an "important" press conference for tomorrow..... another part of the 'rebuild' that new club president Kevin Payne is instigating.

Trust me .... we do not want this particular Ipswich old boy ! hoofball, late game collapses, and belligerent with the fans who have the audacity to call him out for poor results !

Holy Crap !! I could be in the unfortunate position of following two teams, one of whom is doing really well, the other which is showing optimistic signs for the coming season ... and both might end up replacing or having to replace managers !

That's a bonus, wouldn't fancy Malpas taking over.

Quite excited about this news really, if true.

Did anyone really think if he moved on, he wouldn't be taking the people who have made him what he is? He could find player replacements to do a turn at Barnsley..but would find it much harder to replace Mo...and Steve Marsella, if it comes to that....and without them...what would he have achieved at ICT....maybe as much as he achieved everywhere else without either of them?

Hi,

Barnsley fan in peace,

Just read through the page about butcher to Barnsley. 

Firstly no idea if he will come to us or not and no silly comments about our club is bigger etc. To be honest there are good reasons to be at either club but for me you just have the edge. 

just like to clear a few things up.  

SOD was fans favourite and probably the boards first choice, but has SOD himself has stated, they never discussed terms or anything.  Its the main view of most fans that he is waiting for his compo to be sorted out with Forest before returning to  management.  He clearly says its too early.

on subject of us selling our best players,  Craig Davies was a decent league 2 striker, come to us last year and had a £300k minimum fee in his contract.  was ok last season, scored 8 goals this season including 4 against Birmingham and has been crap ever since.  his minimum fee has been met and we cant do owt about it, Not many BFC fans are sad to see him go.  First touch is very bad, he's lazy and not good enough for championship.

The other scot Wiseman is truly Awful and one of the reasons Hill got the sack.  Wiseman is a rightback who cant defend, yet Hill played him at center back all season and he has cost us goal after goal.  Hill brought him with him from Rochdale and has blindly stuck by him.  Theres a thread on our board with everyone in hysterics that Blackpool are buying him.  So no were not selling our best players.  

One plus point we do have is a group of youths who are on long contracts and worth some cash,  one lad John stones is already worth more than 3 million with Prem sides already hovering.

We actually have a decent team, and if our best players were to be played in their correct positions we could easily climb the league, but Hill has never played the same team twice and at times made 4-5 changes from game to game. 

I think the main thing in our favour is the success Butcher has had with you lot may give him the confidence that he could save us from relegation and have a real go at the championship.  I dont want to put the SPL down, but if Butcher wants to coach at the highest level then the best route to the EPL is via the championship. 

anyway, whatever happens,  Good luck for the rest of the season,  great to see some different teams in that second place. Long may it last

btw best Barnsley forum is http://v2.barnsleyfc.org.uk where Butcher is the poll leader

• Agree 3

All these exclusive articles are based on Twitter speculation, discussion and even some attempted wind ups.  Quite entertaining in itself...especially the fact people are so quick to latch on to them the moment someone turns it into an article.

Hi,   Barnsley fan in peace,   Just read through the page about butcher to Barnsley.    Firstly no idea if he will come to us or not and no silly comments about our club is bigger etc. To be honest there are good reasons to be at either club but for me you just have the edge.    just like to clear a few things up.     SOD was fans favourite and probably the boards first choice, but has SOD himself has stated, they never discussed terms or anything.  Its the main view of most fans that he is waiting for his compo to be sorted out with Forest before returning to  management.  He clearly says its too early.   on subject of us selling our best players,  Craig Davies was a decent league 2 striker, come to us last year and had a £300k minimum fee in his contract.  was ok last season, scored 8 goals this season including 4 against Birmingham and has been crap ever since.  his minimum fee has been met and we cant do owt about it, Not many BFC fans are sad to see him go.  First touch is very bad, he's lazy and not good enough for championship.   The other scot Wiseman is truly Awful and one of the reasons Hill got the sack.  Wiseman is a rightback who cant defend, yet Hill played him at center back all season and he has cost us goal after goal.  Hill brought him with him from Rochdale and has blindly stuck by him.  Theres a thread on our board with everyone in hysterics that Blackpool are buying him.  So no were not selling our best players.     One plus point we do have is a group of youths who are on long contracts and worth some cash,  one lad John stones is already worth more than 3 million with Prem sides already hovering.   We actually have a decent team, and if our best players were to be played in their correct positions we could easily climb the league, but Hill has never played the same team twice and at times made 4-5 changes from game to game.    I think the main thing in our favour is the success Butcher has had with you lot may give him the confidence that he could save us from relegation and have a real go at the championship.  I dont want to put the SPL down, but if Butcher wants to coach at the highest level then the best route to the EPL is via the championship.    anyway, whatever happens,  Good luck for the rest of the season,  great to see some different teams in that second place. Long may it last   btw best Barnsley forum is http://v2.barnsleyfc.org.uk where Butcher is the poll leader
Maybe worth a wee mention, Terry Butcher didn't save us from relegation in season 08/09. Merely out of interest on your fans poll, why are more of your fans not going for Owen Coyle?

I watched Barnsley play I think it was Sheffield Wednesday not that long ago, they really pushed in the second half but the quality was dire, we'd have put a few past Wednesday that night.

This could be career suicide for Butcher if he goes, he needs time to get his own players in, he wont have it at Barnsley.

What could a manager achieve with Barnsley?

They do not have the resources to get to the Premier League.

They do not have a good cup record.

As pointed out, their league positions are of historic struggle. 

The only achievements could be saving the club from relegation again, and again, or getting relegated and trying to get back up..and welcoming Michael Parkinson as an occasional guest.

Magic!!