FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Butcher to Barnsley? Terry stays put***

RossP

How exactly can "things only get better" for us? Second in the league and still in both cups. The only way it could get better is to be top of the league and still in both cups, but I don't think many would consider that to be likely.

A more realistic statement is that things can only get worse, that's the sad truth! Enjoy it while we can.

I'm not worried because I don't believe he'll be leaving for Barnsley.

I agree but when the end of the season comes will he have his head turned by similar offers ??

Its also now time for the directors to ensure the team are kept together for next season regardless.

No, I think by the end of the season he'll be getting better offers....but I also hope that our stock will also have increased by then and Terry will want to take us to Europe.

There's plenty going on behind the scenes with player contract talks and things and I believe the Directors will be doing everything within their power to keep as much of the team together as possible.

Are you referring to Terry Wogan or Terry Butcher ?  Where are the Muirfield Mills when ya need them most ?

Perhaps TB is sacrficing himself as the compensation from Barnsley will pay fer new contracts for the players.

STV:

Doncaster Rovers have asked Inverness Caledonian Thistle for permission to speak to manager Terry Butcher about the vacancy at the Keepmoat Stadium, STV has learned.

By Paul Goodwin Doncaster Rovers
Published on Tuesday 8 January 2013 06:50

NORTH of the border based bosses Steve Lomas and Terry Butcher have emerged as early candidates to replace Dean Saunders in the Doncaster Rovers hot seat.

Rovers want to speak to Inverness Caledonian Thistle manager Butcher, according to reports in Scotland. While St Johnstone boss Steve Lomas is the surprise early bookmakers’ favourite for the Keepmoat Stadium post.

Former Rovers boss Sean O’Driscoll, Coventry’s Mark Robins, former Northern Ireland manager Nigel Worthington and Cheltenham boss Mark Yates are also in the betting. Rovers chief executive Gavin Baldwin revealed last night that the club had already received ten applications “of the highest quality” out of a total of “not less than 50” CVs.

Butcher is due to hold talks with neighbours Barnsley this week about their vacant managerial position.
However, reports in Scotland have suggested that Doncaster have also expressed an interest in speaking to the former England defender and are awaiting a response from Thistle. Inverness chairman Kenny Cameron, however, last night reiterated his desire to hold onto Butcher.

Ex-Manchester City midfielder Lomas, who guided St Johnstone into the qualifying rounds of this season’s Europa League, was installed as an odd-on favourite in the betting yesterday.

Sources close to Lomas have indicated that the fiery 38-year-old, who is currently serving an eight-game touchline ban, would be keen to follow ex-Saints managers Owen Coyle and Derek McInnes south of the border.
However, The Star understands that Lomas is currently on holiday overseas and is somewhat mystified by the Doncaster link.

Rovers will invite applications until next Monday and hope to interview the strongest candidates on their shortlist next week. Chairman John Ryan told The Star that high on his priorities is to appoint a manager that would create a “seamless transition” from the Saunders era.

“Doncaster Rovers are in the best shape they’ve ever been in and it’s up to us make the right appointment,” said Ryan. “We’re not rushing it. This is probably the most difficult job in football, to pick the right manager.
“We want it to be a seamless passage from Dean to the new manager.”

Daily Record article:

"They (ICT) are aware former boss John Robertson is keen to get back into management and ex-Caley Thistle star Paul Sheerin has impressed at Arbroath, while Paul Hartley is making waves at Alloa. Ex-Inverness manager Charlie Christie is also interested and Elgin City’s Ross Jack is another who has been tipped to succeed Butcher at some point."

Translation: We really haven't got a clue but we still had another paragraph to fill.

• Agree 2

Dear Journalists (I use the term very broadly),

Linking out of work managers (or anyone for that matter) to a job that does not exist is not news.

While I am at it, rehashing Twitter rumours is not news either.  It's not even interesting because most will have already read it...last night...on twitter...same time as you read it.

Thanks

CaleyD

• Agree 2

Didn't know whether to post this or not but the source is usually very reliable.

Apparently Barnsley contacted Terry via a third party (possibly Kevin Beattie) on Sunday to see if he would be interested. Terry asked very few questions and told them to contact ICT chairman. One question that was asked was "Is it just me, or all the coaching staff?". The Barnsley director involved was non- commital on this but asked if TB would meet with owners and directors. The rest is well documented.

Edited by Big G
  • Agree 1

You dont get Champions League for 2nd this season .

You dont get it at all in the Championship, only 9 points off the top in the SPL and then we would have it...all the more incentive to stay :happy:

Daily Record article:

"They (ICT) are aware former boss John Robertson is keen to get back into management and ex-Caley Thistle star Paul Sheerin has impressed at Arbroath, while Paul Hartley is making waves at Alloa. Ex-Inverness manager Charlie Christie is also interested and Elgin City’s Ross Jack is another who has been tipped to succeed Butcher at some point."

Translation: We really haven't got a clue but we still had another paragraph to fill.

If they are throwing names about from the lower leagues surely Alistair McCoist would be near the top of the list, is he not looking to be at the second best club in Scotland! 

• Agree 3

Didn't know whether to post this or not but the source is usually very reliable.

Apparently Barnsley contacted Terry via a third party (possibly Kevin Beattie) on Sunday to see if he would be interested. Terry asked very few questions and told them to contact ICT chairman. One question that was asked was "Is it just me, or all the coaching staff?". The Barnsley director involved was non- commital on this but asked if TB would meet with owners and directors. The rest is well documented.

Lets hope for good news within the next 24 hours to put this one to bed.

We must all unite behind ICT in this hour of need .....get Brewster back!

Words cant describe so i'll just use smileys haha.

:amazed:  :tongueincheek:   :rotflmao:

Edited by ajsict92
  • Agree 1

Had a look at the latest odds, half expecting the 'book' to have been suspended. However, a tiny glimmer of good news...Butcher's odds have 'improved' since I last checked. 1/3 now as opposed to 1/4! For those unfamilar with odds this loosely equates to the bookies shifting from an 80% chance of Butcher leaving, to a 75% chance! Or am I clutching at straws!

I have been thinking  about the repercussions  if Terry did go anywhere now. 
 He then takes a couple/3 players, takes the management team, we fail to reach League cup final, drop down the league, lose in Scottish cup, finish out of top 6, miss out in Euro place. Would it be worth it to the board, to spend some money on Butcher/players now, to persuade him to stay. Because the loss of potential earnings is quite substantial.  Thats not to say any new management team/players wouldn't win the treble.  But less likely.

Still think/hope he will stay though.

• Agree 1

I have been thinking  about the repercussions  if Terry did go anywhere now. 

He then takes a couple/3 players, takes the management team, we fail to reach League cup final, drop down the league, lose in Scottish cup, finish out of top 6, miss out in Euro place. Would it be worth it to the board, to spend some money on Butcher/players now, to persuade him to stay. Because the loss of potential earnings is quite substantial.  Thats not to say any new management team/players wouldn't win the treble.  But less likely.

Still think/hope he will stay though.

Problem is even if we did spend that money there is no guarantee it would be achieved, and there is no possibility the board could get close to what is on offer in the Championship 

• Agree 1