FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

v Airdrie - League Cup

tm4tj

Don’t think that’s a question that should be raised right now. The guy has just been offered a 2 year contract. Irrespective whether we think that was right or wrong, the fact is it is in place. We can’t afford to pay him off, simple, so we just move on!  
Tonight’s result ends interest in this cup. We just hope Dodds and the team learn from the mistakes over the past two games and get it right for the league games ahead.  We can’t enter into another winter like last year!!

bc

Edited by big cherly
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Facepalm 1

We have recently seen too much emphasis put on Billy beating our scoring record. Great....but....

For the bigger picture let's hope two poor defeats and a less than convincing win against Bonnyrigg create a big wake up call before we end up bottom of the Championship after our first three games.

• Agree 2
  • Well Said 1

16 minutes ago, SteveA said:

We desperately need to strengthen the defence before the league season starts. 

3 minutes ago, kenneth thomson said:

Signed a two year deal

Should NEVER have got that far 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Well Said 2

Need to shore up the defence and central midfield, plus need a tall target man up front to help Billy. Looked like a bad injury for young Nicholson. On the plus side some nice play from Longstaff early on and Bray when he came on. Looks like the Dundee game will be a pre-season warm up.

• Agree 1

We shot ourselves in the foot by gifting the two goals in the first half. Until then we looked better than in our earlier games.

We were much better in the second half and deservedly got back in it. We played some decent stuff, with Carson, Shaw, Bray and Gilmour probably the pick. Longstaff looks a decent signing too whilst Davidson looks effective going forward and hopefully won’t repeat the slackness that cost us a goal. The jury is out for me with Brooks but he’s not had many minutes.

Devine looks out of sorts but hopefully just needs time to get back to full fitness and sharpness.

We looked the more likely to win it but conceded late on when tying to get a winner.

Now Mckay has passed Wyness’ total hopefully he goes on a scoring run.

Gilmour’s goal was a cracking finish, whilst Samuels came very close before we conceded late on.

I understand the negativity in the posts above (not sure how many of those posting were at the game) but if we can maintain the level of performance we showed in the second half we will not be too far away.

Unfortunately Airdrie are another team that will wind the clock down and try to con the refs.

Losing Lewis Nicolson is a big blow as he was looking good again tonight. I heard it being discussed in the stand that he’d messaged a pal indicating it was a bad one and he could miss the whole season. Hopefully that was just talk and it’s not as serious as feared.

Edited by Robert
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Well Said 2

Sluggish first 60 minutes. Some awful defending and should have been 3-0 down at half time, but weren't as Cammy Mackay dealt with Delaney's gaff in first few minutes. 

Did well to get back to 2-2 which prevented me falling asleep.

Gash defending again for their third. 

Just not good enough. 20 odd minutes of good football out of 90 is just not good enough. 😐 

Edited by Duke of Inverness
  • Agree 2

What do we really expect from the same manager and coaching staff that only saved their jobs last season because of a registration mistake from Queens Park? I fear it's going to be a long hard season if this is the standard that's on offer.

Why do most of the teams that play us look sharper, pass the ball better and close us down, hit us on the break and create more chances? It's down to the coaching and the tactics that are implemented in the game, and Dodds is lacking on all fronts. When we eventually get the ball back our first thought is boot it up the park, just get rid of the hot potato instead of looking up and picking a pass to a teammate, like Airdrie were doing.

I haven't made a prediction yet about what I think our final league position will be, but on our showing so far, I think we will struggle to get into the top half of the league this season, there are a lot of good teams this season, and a lot of them will be stronger this term. I hope I'm proved wrong, but we will need to improve 100% more than we have shown so far. We need a good centre back, another good midfielder and to find a good partner for Billy Mckay. I really can't sit through another season of boring ponderous football again.

• Like 1
  • Well Said 5

Thought we looked sluggish in terms of passing and movement. No press on Airdrie despite everyone knowing they were playing from back. Two elementary mistakes for the goals - Devine with a brilliant tackle and then thinking he was Maldini and taking 2 hours to find a pass. That actually summed up the first half - they were sharp, incisive and committed; we were ponderous, shapeless and guileless. 

second half looked to be going the same way until we got that wonder strike from Gilmore. From that point on I thought there was only going to be one winner. Nathan Shaw was a joy to watch - perhaps just the final ball needing a bit more precision. thought Bray looked tidy, Duffy added a bit more direction and Carson actually looked much better at right back. Samuels added a bit more pace and guile. We definitely don’t have an option B for crosses and long balls. Three men up front not one over 5’8!
Thought quite a few of them tired - Gilmore def looked knackered. We looked about 2 -3 weeks behind them in terms of pace and sharpness. 
move no Idea how their keeper made that save at 2-2 

Definitely lacking midfield guile (welsh) and despite the mistake by Davidson in the first half I think we could see a decent partnership with him and Longstaff (who looked knackered by half time!)

• Like 1

We have to be the slowest team in the league. Pass across the back four, back and fore back and fore then pass to the keeper😫. GO FORWARD! Take a man on, and show some urgency from the starting whistle. Not when we are 0-2 down! What a shame for Nicholson, i hope its not bad as i have high aspirations for him this season. 

• Agree 2
  • Well Said 2

After a bright start I thought Lewis's injury affected the players.  I'd be surprised if he hasn't done his cruciate ligament - looked very like it to me.  I hope I'm wrong - he was playing pretty well, as he did against. Bonnyrig.  The team responded well in the 2nd half and had several chances to take the lead, but messed up.  I think we have the talent available but there was a lack of composure and silly mistakes all over the park.  Great strike from Gilmore and Billy breaking the club's scoring record were at least some consolation on a disappointing night.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Wheelybinz said:

We have to be the slowest team in the league. Pass across the back four, back and fore back and fore then pass to the keeper😫. GO FORWARD! Take a man on, and show some urgency from the starting whistle. Not when we are 0-2 down! What a shame for Nicholson, i hope its not bad as i have high aspirations for him this season. 

Yes, I hope it isn't as bad as it looked, I thought that Nicolson was going to be the breakout player this season. He could really make the LB spot his own.

This passing back and fore across the back line must be Dodds tactics, because they did it all last season as well. There was one attack where we were on the right, nearly in line with their box, and it went backwards, and backwards until in went to the keeper, and it couldn't go any further back, so we had to kick it forward. Pathetic.

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

What do we really expect from the same manager and coaching staff that only saved their jobs last season because of a registration mistake from Queens Park? I fear it's going to be a long hard season if this is the standard that's on offer.

Why do most of the teams that play us look sharper, pass the ball better and close us down, hit us on the break and create more chances? It's down to the coaching and the tactics that are implemented in the game, and Dodds is lacking on all fronts. When we eventually get the ball back our first thought is boot it up the park, just get rid of the hot potato instead of looking up and picking a pass to a teammate, like Airdrie were doing.

I haven't made a prediction yet about what I think our final league position will be, but on our showing so far, I think we will struggle to get into the top half of the league this season, there are a lot of good teams this season, and a lot of them will be stronger this term. I hope I'm proved wrong, but we will need to improve 100% more than we have shown so far. We need a good centre back, another good midfielder and to find a good partner for Billy Mckay. I really can't sit through another season of boring ponderous football again.

Absolutely 100%

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

I haven't made a prediction yet about what I think our final league position will be, but on our showing so far, I think we will struggle to get into the top half of the league this season, there are a lot of good teams this season, and a lot of them will be stronger this term. I hope I'm proved wrong, but we will need to improve 100% more than we have shown so far. We need a good centre back, another good midfielder and to find a good partner for Billy Mckay. I really can't sit through another season of boring ponderous football 

6 minutes ago, caley1 said:
1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

I haven't made a prediction yet about what I think our final league position will be, but on our showing so far, I think we will struggle to get into the top half of the league this season, there are a lot of good teams this season, and a lot of them will be stronger this term. I hope I'm proved wrong, but we will need to improve 100% more than we have shown so far. We need a good centre back, another good midfielder and to find a good partner for Billy Mckay. I really can't sit through another season of boring ponderous football 

CEO has that answer I guess 

• Agree 1

If we don't have the finances to sack the manager, then we don't have the finances to sign any more players.  If we can only afford one of those options, then it should be cheerio to Dodds, and a whip around to get rid of the person who gave him a 2 year extension.

• Agree 4

The stats suggest we were on top (52/48) however 13 attempts on goal with only 3 on target is not a good ratio. 

Still only one clean sheet (v Nairn) this season and we've shipped six goals in three league cup games. Also not a good ratio.

Only time will tell of cousre but the early signs are not filling me confidence that we can make a strong challenge this season.

Hope young Lewis is ok and the injury isn't as serious as mentioned above. I also hope it isn't a start to another injury hit season and the same old excuses being rolled out.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Wheelybinz said:

If Nicholson is out for a while we'll maybe get an announcement from the club around Christmas time, if we're lucky!!

Gardiner take off your rose tinted spectacles re Dodds!!

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 3

Well I am not going overboard yet although the danger signs are looming in the not so far horizon. To me the last two games have been akin to pre season friendly experimentation. Why else rotate the keepers and make so many changes during the game?? Yet other excuses but probably acceptable are the short preparation time, letting newbies settle in, fitness improvement and seeking the preferred starting eleven and system. I would say that enuff is enuff and we have to use the Dundee game as the opening league game. I presume, given previous comments, that we are persevering with the tippy tappy, play from the back style - which I hate and worry that it is a modern trend that many teams follow. We have been lacking of a tall centre forward for some season but I thought that the purchasing of apparently young, pacy and skilful additions would lead to a more attack minded approach and using width and speed. The upper echelons were lucky last season and have promised much for this campaign. Their heads are already on the blocks and it is time to show us that they can change and care. And quickly!!

• Like 1
  • Well Said 2

• tm4tj unpinned this topic