FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Is Marius our Larson

BornCaley

A bit off topic but while the company will almost certainly post a loss for the financial year I don't believe the figures will be that bad and should not be a significant factor in determining Niculae's future at the club.

It is expected that the football club will post a substantial loss this season, so the temptation of a windfall will, in my opinion, be too good for them to turn down.

The explanation for this will make for interesting reading.

I suspect we may be led down the path that its all because we broke the wage structure for one player but lets make this clear to those that might try that spin here and now .... A lot of people know some fairly detailed information about how his wages for two seasons have already been covered one way and another whether he is here for next season or not.

The blame for any shortfall in the accounts cannot therefore be blamed on this one transaction. If there IS a substantial loss then I ask that the club do not treat the shareholders like mushrooms (kept in dark, fed on ****) but explain it without spin. Personally, I suspect that our abysmal cup runs will have had far more effect on the bottom line than one player.

I think that's right and while I expect that there will be a loss it shouldn't be huge especially given that there was quite a surplus on transfer activity during the financial year.

If there are huge losses after consecutive years of modest profits then that's not down to Niculae's salary alone and somebody needs to explain themselves but I can't, for the life of me, see how the losses could be that bad.

I suspect we may be led down the path that its all because we broke the wage structure for one player but lets make this clear to those that might try that spin here and now .... A lot of people know some fairly detailed information about how his wages for two seasons have already been covered one way and another whether he is here for next season or not.

The blame for any shortfall in the accounts cannot therefore be blamed on this one transaction. If there IS a substantial loss then I ask that the club do not treat the shareholders like mushrooms (kept in dark, fed on ****) but explain it without spin. Personally, I suspect that our abysmal cup runs will have had far more effect on the bottom line than one player.

If the speculation is true that Orion financed the wages of Marius by purchasing shares, then the effect of this in the club's accounts would be to strengthen the balance sheet but it would not positively impact on the profit and loss account for this financial year.  So I suspect that the full cost of Marius' salary will result in a significant increase in the wages recorded in the accounts, and thus result in a loss for this financial year.

I agree that our bad cup runs this year did not help matters, but most clubs (including ICT, as I understand it) do not budget for a decent cup run.

Firstly I feel IHE is being a little unfair in that for Niculae to perform well as a lone striker he needed players capable of feeding him. That was the big problem in my opinion. Midfield performances were not what they should have been.

Is he Larson? Definately not!

What is a substantial loss to ICT? Up to 100k? More than 100k? Until the accounts actually come out and can be scrutinised then its hard to discuss. If profit last year was 100k and this year we break even then we have made a substantial loss because accounting practise is to report loss of profit as loss. That does not necessarilly mean the club is running at a loss. If we report an actual loss of say 100k but we have at the same time reduced our debts by 200k more than budgeted have we made a loss of 100k or a profit of 100k. Until all the figures are available then theirs no point anyone getting frustrated by rumour.

Oh! and on the subject of rumour.......I am led to believe we are due 50k from the Romanian FA for allowing their boy to play for them.

Oh! and on the subject of rumour.......I am led to believe we are due 50k from the Romanian FA for allowing their boy to play for them.

Your right there Alex. Im not quite sure of the logistics of the thing, but we will receive ?6,000 for every day Marius is with the national team, which will see us pocket at least ?50,000.

Guest stevico64

I thought that the figure was closer to ?3,000 a day. In any event, a welcome windfall.

The figure is almost ?3000 a day, and is paid to the club for each player in the latter stages of Euro 2008, what they mean by latter I am not 100% sure.

Ok after 32 replies, both on and off topic. Maybe i should clarify my "is Marius our Larsson" comment. Im sure sure we all agree that we dont compare Marius to Henrik in terms of world class quality, that would be silly. My point was that Henrik was loved by Celtic more that any other player i can think of, so my point is that i can see Marius being the same in terms of how much the supporters love  the guy.

I do believe if the greedy ICT Board keep him for next season then he has the potential to achieve ICT legend status, especially if his Euro campaign is a good one.

A lot of expectations were placed on his shoulders, before the ink  on his work permit was dry; especially with him being alone up front..So a 2nd season is what he needs to get his Mojo working

their!

Carry on !

I think that if ICT keep him for next season we may just see the best out of him. He was at a low ebb when he came here, both in terms of fitness and morale. The work permit issue did nothing to help matters, and the early expectations placed upon him when clearly not fit, didnt do any good either.

If he has a decent Euro2008 and is still an ICT player come season 08/09 then I think we may see a different, more confident, and far more effective Marius. He is now seen as a success again, he has scored more goals than he has for the last few seasons, he is back in the national squad and his confidence must have been restored. From what I hear - like Don Cowie - he actually wants to be at Inverness because he is happy here and that is important to him.

If he is played in the right system - and despite his constant berating of the guy, I think IHE has actually made a lot of fair comments about this subject in amongst some of his less fair ones - then he will flourish and be yet another example of ICT resurrecting a career that had stalled ........  (maybe that should be our unique selling point to players we try to sign !!!)

I hope our board can see past the "political" issues that seem to be driving him out of ICT and make a decision based on football. I hope to get to at least one game during season 08/09 and it would please me immensely if Marius was still in an ICT shirt.

As for Larsson - I dont think Marius is feted as much as he was and to be fair, he doesnt deserve that amount of adulation (yet). Larsson, pound for pound is the best ever signing that any team in Scotland has ever made in my opinion. 650K for a guy who did what he did in his time at Celtic is unbelievable.

IMHO I have made just as many fair / positive comments than negative ones. They arent unfair as most people - mostly off this forum - are prepared to criticise rather than to protect and laud.

Alex - he still didnt really cut the mustard when we had Black, Rankin and Cowie in ascendancy.

But play him in the right system with support and well lets hope we see next season. I dont mind them fitting a system around Marius when he is played in the proper position and is fit.

Cant wait to see how he performs in the Euros.

Marius is a genius, has shown glimpses of a real class act this season and should stay.  By all accounts he enjoys it in the highlands and we should strive to keep one of our best players for what looks like a very difficult season ahead.

BUT the ict board will probably shove him out the door as fast as they can if he does perform at the euros.

How about a petition for Marius to stay??  :clapping03: :clapping03:

Marius is a genius, has shown glimpses of a real class act this season and should stay.  By all accounts he enjoys it in the highlands and we should strive to keep one of our best players for what looks like a very difficult season ahead.

BUT the ict board will probably shove him out the door as fast as they can if he does perform at the euros.

How about a petition for Marius to stay??  :clapping03: :clapping03:

:021: I'd  be  all  for  it  !!! :021:

Why did the Board of Directors not secure Marius on a longer contract before his appearance at Euro2008? This would not only have given him confidence for his future but also strengthened our bargaining position should any offers come in for him.

The guy himself deserves the break but also deserves the stick for most of his away performances this season. IMHO it is one of the strangest and surprising selections I have ever came across. If he turns it on then I will be very disappointed at how he played for us - If he fecks it up then I wouldnt be at all surprised. But perhaps it could also be the way he was played and the finger then points at Brewster.

Brewster's options were limitted were they not? Correct me if I'm wrong (I've no doubt you would anyway), but it's unfair to expect one player to perform at world class level when he's supported by his club class teammates. The support he receives at ICT is the best we've got - end of story.

It is expected that the football club will post a substantial loss this season, so the temptation of a windfall will, in my opinion, be too good for them to turn down.

I'd agree with you on the cup runs or rather lack of this season having a big impact on turnover. However this season has seen Robson moving to Celtic for which there should be a commission coming in and Rankin's move to Hibs should also show up on this years accounts, so if there proves to be a loss rather than profit this season there should be some probing questions being asked of the Board of Directors.

Marius our Henrik? Hope not!

Larsson