FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The two months till January thread

chris123

Ok, its still a bit away, but need something to get away from the doom and gloom.

General consensous is that we need a centre back and a striker. If Zander isn't going to get a look in, some width would be nice aswell.

I'd punt for Steven Milne, was mentioned a few moths back, and from what I've seen of him, he can really play.

I wonder if there's any point in trying to pursue Dods again in January ?

As far as a forward within our price bracket is concerned, I'd like to see us make an attempt to land Kenny Deuchar on loan.

Rated him pretty highly, till I saw that in a league of probably the same standard as the first division, he has scored 3 goals in 29 appearances.

As for Dods, in pure football terms, I'm sure he'd be open to coming back here, however, he moved to go back closer to the central belt. Think he may move into the first division with the likes of Partick and Dundee before he comes back here.

I would try and get James McPake to fill the space for big defender, or may'be take a look at Brent Sancho, i think he is still without a club.

In terms of a new wide player would may'be try for Dorrans again...a year on after first trying. Or Owen Morrison who i read is looking for a club, was a good player for Dunfermline.

New strikers well the idea of Robbie Winters is pritty good, but i think we should go for Richie Foran as i heard he wants to return north.

To top it off Sean Higgins contract is up at the end of the season and i think another County steal would prove a good peace of buisness, considering Higgins is a decent player.

I wonder if there's any point in trying to pursue Dods again in January ?

As far as a forward within our price bracket is concerned, I'd like to see us make an attempt to land Kenny Deuchar on loan.

I always depsair when clubs go back to their past for players/managers, so i would rather see us move forward. As for Deucher, is he not still in the US...he was on a huge wage if i remember,

I would try and get James McPake to fill the space for big defender, or may'be take a look at Brent Sancho, i think he is still without a club.

In terms of a new wide player would may'be try for Dorrans again...a year on after first trying. Or Owen Morrison who i read is looking for a club, was a good player for Dunfermline.

New strikers well the idea of Robbie Winters is pritty good, but i think we should go for Richie Foran as i heard he wants to return north.

To top it off Sean Higgins contract is up at the end of the season and i think another County steal would prove a good peace of buisness, considering Higgins is a decent player.

Lots of interesting suggestions there.

Foran would be an excellent signing if he's still the player he was at Motherwell, but I suspect out of our price-range wages wise unless he's made such an @rse of it down south that no-one wants him. Anyone know how he's done?

McPake likewise I thought was a good target when we went for him in August, but I seem to remember quite a few clubs were interested and we'd probably not be his first choice if Livi indicated they were willing to sell.

Higgins has been out of the County team recently, hasn't he? Certainly looked the part last season mind you, but would we be getting another Barrowman who might be unable to make the step up?

Here's what Aberdeen had to say when they dropped their interest. All very vague, but might they be referring to off the field problems?

"Aberdeen Director of football Willie Miller told the club's official website: "I can assure our fans that there were other factors behind the decision to drop our interest in Richie and nothing whatsoever to do with finance.""

Edited by Yngwie

Reason behind the suggestion of Foran is that his contract with Southend is up at the end of season. As is McPake at Livingston.

Also out of intrest Robbie Winters has left SK Brann....to return to Scotland.

Edited by ajsict92

Sancho and Deuchar are both playing in States and I couldn't see either of them coming back here on what we could offer.

Foran has been on loan to Darlington for a season and half but hasn't played much due to knee problems which could be why Aberdeen dropped interest.

Sancho and Deuchar are both playing in States and I couldn't see either of them coming back here on what we could offer.

Foran has been on loan to Darlington for a season and half but hasn't played much due to knee problems which could be why Aberdeen dropped interest.

If we're talking about Aberdeen's original interest in Foran, which was expressed about a season or so before Motherwell signed him, it dropped due to alleged disciplinary problems both on and off the park. Don't remember him being a particularly controversial player when he was here - maybe he'd grown up a bit. If they've thought about a move for him more recently then I've no idea why they might have revised their opinion. Moot point anyway - as a few of us have said on here, his wages would probably be outwith our budget.

If Winters has indeed left Brann to return to Scotland, does that mean he already knows where he's going? When he could be bothered he was a quick and intelligent player, and would also have the experience we are currently missing, but if we were to go for him we might just end up with another Gary McSwegan.

:rotflmao: What I am worried about is that the Board will react in a degree of panic due to the recent losses and make a costly mistake by hiring the wrong player(s) which will not do their budget the world of good.

What do you think about Dargo returning? I am not a big fan of going back but ..well... are there positive points about re-approaching him? Say for a return until the end of the season--in this case he would have something to play for, a new contract at season's end, and maybe his confidence would return?

And Dodds?

Strengthening the defence is now IMHO critical to further losses . especially narrow losses.

Was Didds also playing hard just for the possibility of a transfer? Why has he not been prominent in the D.U team to date?

Why would he not fit in again for the same reasons as Dargo that I suggest above.?

Comments?

Dods has played a fair bit, he played against Rangers the other night, Dargo moved south rejecting a pay deal we could not afford now, he aint done much at Midden anyway.

I think this club is broke and we are not in the market to buy players unfortunatley, might get a loan deal somewhere but players will need to be moved on to free up the meagre wage budget.

Its going to be a big gamble for the board whether they can find money for players, and hope the manager can turn round the teams fortunes.

Teams with Scottish managers in England are often keen to loan here as they know its a tough league.

Swindon, Burnley, Nott Forest, Man Utd, Everton, Plymouth, Birmingham, Leeds, Peterborough, Bradford all have Scottish managers.

If finances are not there, perhaps a couple of loan signings would inject something.

I would have thought that having our traditional defenders in place plus McGuire, Duff and Proctor -(even Barry excelled at back in the reserve game, by all accounts)- we are in a strong defensive position. Maybe the players are not playing to the top of their abilities but that is a man management thing, we have the manpower.

We do not therefore require to spend on defenders, we do need one seasoned forward player, very similar to Brew, to support the younger players, with also an emphasis on attack that hits the bye line and cuts the ball back. Hitting the ball from the outfield into a defense always favours them but we have seen this week, even the best pros have problems clearing their lines from a low ball in from the bye line and this can result in an own goal. I would therefore like to see our players having the confidence to take on their defender more often but this can only happen if they have the encouragement on and off the field.

This also puts some responsibility on the fans, as losing out on a tackle making for the bye line, when the ball could have been swung over earlier, is not what the fans want but appreciating the better chance, had the tackle not been successful, must also be considered.

Absent Friend--precisely, just what I have been saying for years ; use the wingers, get to the byeline, maybe get a corner as a consolation prize but hopefully cut a hard low ball right across the goal and anything can happen. A defender mis-kicking in panic, a forward rushing in or a simple deflection off anybody?

How else, as someone says, can you break down four stalwart large defenders and get in close enough to goal without being offside?

Wingers are the boys.