FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT Gaelic Film!

gordyfromsneck

With the club's co-operation, I was allowed into the stadium to do some shooting for a short film "The Home Game". It has been entered into FilmG, a Gaelic film competition run by BBC Alba. It shows a day in the life of travelling ICT fans on the way to, and back from, the recent Hearts game.

You can vote for the film, and check out some of the others.

Vote for "The Home Game" here.

Thanks to the Mackinnon family of Skye, and Mike and Darren at ICT for their help.

A win for this film would be good publicity for the club and its involvement with BBCAlba, and I will buy you a pint in the Innes...

Excellent stuff. Not only does it highlight the vastness of the Highlands and Islands but also the hard work put in by sections of the community to support the area as a whole. It also was one of the most interesting and innovative Gaelic films I have seen, blending youth, leisure, community, culture and more.

It reminds us all here that we are a unique football club, and the only SPL club with a true scots gaelic following, and that we have many unique things to be proud of.

Hats off to Gordon. Nice to hear from Darren, and the Mackinnons from Heaste! Haste ye back!

Edited by Kirishima

I open the site. I look at the films. I follow the instructions to vote but the vote buttons that should appear dont.

It appears to be Flash based (hard to tell as work firewall blocks it !!!) so make sure you have Flash (and javacript) enabled for the site ...

Haste ye back...its a classic, or if you dont like that how about `Though I am always in haste, I am never in a hurry.`

Its a tough competition, lots of videos, but I think that it has merits enougfh to do it, good footage of the football and lots of background visuals to make it very rounded, liked the capture of the Tv in the background, the butter on toast and the techno end.

I think it should reach a wider audience, any chance of getting it in the matchday programme?

Does ICT have any gaelic signage in or around the stadium Martin? With the new Gaelic movement (BBC Alba, this film competition, Gaelic schools, roadsigns)

Should ICT also display Gaelic in the stadium, programme, strips etc? Inbhir Niss!!

Why waste natural resources? Signs would use metallic elements or plastic to produce the sign and chemicals to create the paints, inks and paper would be used adding more pages to the programme, not to mention the extra fossil fuels burned in producing these items. Why create more environmental problems? Which is more important the environment or a dying language? Should we help save the planet or carry on trying to save a doomed language?

EDIT- I am not on the wind up here, I am just trying to gauge whether people think it is really justifiable to chase the dream of a Gaelic revival when there are far more worthy causes out there.

Edited by birdog

Yes, yes. Apply that argument to anything and it usually wins, lets stop ICT...think of all the exhaust fumes created by people stuck in the car park!!

For arguments sake, if the next time ICT are making a new sign, new letterheads, strips, etc, should they not put Gaelic on it. Its our Heritage, our native tongue, an ancient and unique reminder of our Celtic roots, and it is most definitely not a dying language.

Yes, yes. Apply that argument to anything and it usually wins, lets stop ICT...think of all the exhaust fumes created by people stuck in the car park!!

For arguments sake, if the next time ICT are making a new sign, new letterheads, strips, etc, should they not put Gaelic on it. Its our Heritage, our native tongue, an ancient and unique reminder of our Celtic roots, and it is most definitely not a dying language.

I am sorry I did not mean to cause offence but from my point of view I speak English, as do I would estimate 99% of Gaelic speaking Scots so I have no problem communicating with any "native" Scot.

Since your response was directed towards me I would say that it is very arrogant of you to claim that Gaelic is "our" native language yes I am a Scot but my native language could easily be Scots, Norn, Doric, or I am sure others, should Gaelic be prioritised above these?

I live in the Highlands and know very few Gaelic speakers, even fewer with Gaelic as their first language. If I were to learn a new language then I would probably try to learn one of the continental European languages as it would be of far more use to me personally but I am too lazy to bother. It is estimated that 309 to 400 million people speak English as their first language with another 199 to 1,400 million speaking English as a second language meaning that I don't think I will have much trouble finding a conversation if I really need one.

Whilst I find it admirable that people are trying to spread the use of the Gaelic language I find the waste of money and resources on such a quest disproportionate to the need for and interest in said quest.

it is most definitely not a dying language.

:rotflmao: That really annoys me when people say its dieing, not because im one of those people that will do anything to stick up for the language because its a load of bull. Don't get me wrong I'm proud of it and glad to speak it though. It may have been dieing at one point but not now, if anything its getting stronger with BBC Alba, the gaelic school in Glasgow and the increase of people choosing it as a subject at school.

Arrogant? Thats not the first time ive been called that :rotflmao:

Ok, when i said "our" i meant Highlanders and Islanders. Im 27, and my grandmother's native language was Gaelic, she learnt english as a second language. Its neither dead,dying or irrelevant in peoples daily life in a large part of the region outside of Inverness.

To stay on topic, would people not be keen on more Gaelic in the club, timing is good with BBC Alba etc, and it is an identity of the area, whether you speak it or not, so i would like to see it on the badge, lots of clubs use latin on their badges, why not Gaelic?

Ok, when i said "our" i meant Highlanders and Islanders. Im 27, and my grandmother's native language was Gaelic, she learnt english as a second language. Its neither dead,dying or irrelevant in peoples daily life in a large part of the region outside of Inverness.

To stay on topic, would people not be keen on more Gaelic in the club, timing is good with BBC Alba etc, and it is an identity of the area, whether you speak it or not, so i would like to see it on the badge, lots of clubs use latin on their badges, why not Gaelic?

I am a Highlander, born in Caithness and of Sutherland decent on my mother's side. My maternal grandfather was a "native" Gaelic speaker but it does not detract from the fact that there is a huge Nordic influence in the place names of Caithness and Sutherland, not being a Gaelic speaker I may be wrong but I would imagine that there was a big influence from Norn in the "east coast" Gaelic dialect. To rip apart your Islander arguement Gaelic was never used to great aplomb in the Orkney and Shetland Islands they still speak a form of Norn there. This is why I think you are arrogant, the fact that you are blinkered enough to believe that Gaelic is so important that other native tounges are put aside in your quest to revive a language which is by all accounts on the way out. I believe that any funding in place for Gaelic at this present time really should be split into keeping these languages alive as much as Gaelic or does your arrogance tell you that these languages should be let die?

You only have to travel a few miles East of Inverness to enter a part of the country where Doric is spoken and I believe as a language Doric is far more widely used in everyday conversation than Gaelic but that could be totally due to the fact that my life has been influenced more by Doric than Gaelic, I am not too arrogant to admit this, are you? I am proud to say that due to my paternal ancestry I have a very good understanding of Doric due to my paternal Grandparents speaking it, my Grandfather even appeared on numerous local Television programmes promoting the language.

Should the ICT club badge therefore incorporate Doric, Norn, Scots and Gaelic? Should the matchday programme incorporate all these languages too? It will end up looking like the information label of a Lidl's cooked meat package!

I am sorry, I do believe there is a place for all these languages but language is dynamic and constantly evolving English spoken today is about as close to Olde English as Gaelic is to Welsh. To try to promote Gaelic use, to the stage which I am sure you would like, is a backwards step. The world is getting smaller through the use of technology and we now have the opportunity to communicate with far more many people during our lifetime than we did even fifty years ago. Why take a backwards step and rescusitate languages which have little use in the global scheme of things, when we should in reality, as the human race be evolving towards a universal communication medium?

I am sorry but outside of the communities speaking these languages I think that money could be spent more wisely, especially my council tax.

I think the only thing we can agree on here is that im arrogant :rotflmao:

No offence meant, proud of all languages in the Highlands and islands, as you say.

Perhaps using the word arrogant is a little harsh, I apologise, but I would like to know what your view is on some of the questions I have posed in my last post. It really does annoy me at time that Gaelic is being pushed so strongly when there are people in this country, region or whatever who have a heritage equally as strong. It is very ironic that a language is squeezing out the other minority languages just because the speakers of that language feel hard done by the majority of English speakers.

When I was arranging shooting, I asked the difficult question, as to whether anyone at the club - players, board, staff, administrators - had Gaelic. I was told, as far as they knew, the answer was no. Perhaps this is an unbalanced state of affairs, but it has now been flagged up to the club, and they may decide to move, albeit gently in that direction.

I thought Japanese was our second language :thumb04:

it is most definitely not a dying language.

:rotflmao: That really annoys me when people say its dieing, not because im one of those people that will do anything to stick up for the language because its a load of bull. Don't get me wrong I'm proud of it and glad to speak it though. It may have been dieing at one point but not now, if anything its getting stronger with BBC Alba, the gaelic school in Glasgow and the increase of people choosing it as a subject at school.

The only reason it can be percieved as no longer dying is because of the hugely expensive life support machine that's been put in place to keep it alive.

P.S. nice wee film,but i reckon the road sign for Heasta and Heaste highlights the nonsense of double langauge road signing

Edited by Heilandee

Birdog, I can understand what you are saying, and i agree with you. Why do i feel Gaelic is important? Same reason as you feel Scots is important, because its part of my heritage, do i think its more important than Scots or Doric, not at all. Am i biased towards it? Yes.

Now BBC Alba and other things have stimulated discussion about this. I dont think that people who speak Gaelic have a thing against non-speakers, but that they are inherently proud of their background and roots and work hard to keep them alive.

I can understand your concerns about the need for our other just as important languages to also be given support and I believe that it will happen, and I am for that 100%.

So, the question should be, could/should ICT incorporate more of its Highlands and Islands heritage, language and culture into the club and how?

Birdog, I can understand what you are saying, and i agree with you. Why do i feel Gaelic is important? Same reason as you feel Scots is important, because its part of my heritage, do i think its more important than Scots or Doric, not at all. Am i biased towards it? Yes.

Now BBC Alba and other things have stimulated discussion about this. I dont think that people who speak Gaelic have a thing against non-speakers, but that they are inherently proud of their background and roots and work hard to keep them alive.

I can understand your concerns about the need for our other just as important languages to also be given support and I believe that it will happen, and I am for that 100%.

So, the question should be, could/should ICT incorporate more of its Highlands and Islands heritage, language and culture into the club and how?

To answer your question, I believe that ICT should be concentrating resources to get things right on the pitch before all else as this is the way in which we will attract more fans (the global language of football) once this has been sorted then attracting even more fans is always good and if sticking some Gaelic on the badge or Signs helps bring more Tchuechies to the stadium then I am all for it. (The badge was screwed up when they added that daft flower anyway :rotflmao: )

I reposted my last post here in the "Gaelic in Inverness" thread as I had taken this one off topic, sorry.

Edited by birdog