FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Game in doubt ?

caleyrule

I see that the BBC have only listed ICT v Dundee and Partick v Queens as the only 1st division games.

How good is the under soil heating and what temperatures can it cope with?

Ive moved this as Caley rule has just beaten me with regards to 'Game in doubt ?'

Edited by 12th Man

I see that the BBC have only listed ICT v Dundee and Partick v Queens as the only 1st division games.

How good is the under soil heating and what temperatures can it cope with?

Its good to withstand what Inverness has been hit with

I was just about to delete this thread, see Caley rules post he was a few minutes ahead of me on this one.

I know in the SPL it is a requirement to use your undersoil heating, but is it in the SFL if you have it? Just thinking about the extra cost which other SFL clubs won't have.......

I wondered about that too, Iain. We only started having games called off when the undersoil heating was installed. maybe they wil just leave it off, and let the aquifer do its thing.

I know in the SPL it is a requirement to use your undersoil heating, but is it in the SFL if you have it? Just thinking about the extra cost which other SFL clubs won't have.......

As I recollect the undersoil heating costs something like ?70 an hour to run (maybe more at current oil prices) so if it were to be on for, say, three days that would be about ?5000. That's the equivalent of about 500 (averaged across concessions and adults) on the gate. I would imagine that, compared with the gate for a midweek match later on, there would be that much to be gained from the away end alone should the game be able to go ahead on Saturday. Then there's hospitality, programmes etc etc. A postponement is quite an expensive matter generally so there's every chance that the cost of using the heating would be more than recouped.

My doubt is about how effective the heating would be given that there has been frost in the ground since last Saturday. When would they switch it on and if they did, would it be capable of melting ice starting at, say minus 3-5 as opposed to preventing solidification in the first place?

I just wonder if the biggest enemy here might be water's rather large specific heat!

The nightmare scenario would be if the heating were used and the game were still off which would amount to a large double hit.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Precisely - now treat yer grannies to a special treat this Christmas. Get them away from the tellie, avoid the pantomime and introduce them to the Spirit of the Highlands, and then hawk them off to the Stadium. It's normally grannies who sing so well in church or school concerts so we need them to lift the roof on Saturday.