FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Top of Div 3 clash postponed

Alex MacLeod

It beggars belief that this could happen and it shows Elgin City in a very poor light regardless whether it was an admin error or pure greed

Ok Elgin is a pure dump anyway but at least the postponement will keep it intact for a while at least

Dougal

Edited by dougal

Maybe ICT could offer up the TCS for the game at short notice .... For a hefty fee of course !!

An extra 5000 fans through the gate with Elgin and Rangers picking up policing costs etc. shorter distance for TV trucks to travel as they are presumably all organised and some may already be on site in Elgin ....

Know it won't happen due to logistics and such but just a thought ......

tbh the stad de Borough Biggs would probably take the extra fans as its virtually all old style standing areas. Crap that health and safety gets in the way these days. Sorry for the fans who have tickets, but will now be wondering if they will miss out when its to actually be played.

Wonder if any of the other Div 3 clubs had thought of this way of bagging a bit of extra income.

tbh the stad de Borough Biggs would probably take the extra fans as its virtually all old style standing areas. Crap that health and safety gets in the way these days.

It certainly does, I have been there with another 12,607 watching them knock Arbroath out of the cup in 1968, that makes it the 30th highest ground record in Scotland.

http://en.wikipedia....endance_records

Administrative cock-up or caught out being greedy?

One of the directors has now admitted it was pure greed. They are going to be hit with a punishment over this - but would it be a fine or a points deduction? I think a fine is a more appropriate punishment for greed. Karma.

Whether you agree with the whole Health and Safety thing or not....the fact is the ground has a safety certificate for a certain capacity and Elgin were seeking to exceed that without having it properly checked out or signed off as being fit to hold the additional capacity. The consequences of that, as has been seen all around the world over the years, could have been devastating. How did they plan to ensure that there was sufficient policing/stewarding etc if it was being surreptitiously?

In saying that, I do think £25,000 for a club the size of Elgin is a bit steep....especially when faced with meeting the costs to Rangers (and I believe ESPN could still asks for costs also). The repercussions could effectively send a club like that to the wall. Far bigger clubs who've committed offences on a far bigger scale (fans causing riots at games etc) have received smaller fines....so there does seem to be a lack of parity in the level of the punishment.

I just hope that whoever signed off on this has the decency to cover the cost and ensure the club don't lose out as a result of their stupidity.