FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Player of the Year

RiG

At ICT I would say that there are a trio of contenders for POTY - Wilson, Munro and Hastings.

Wilson - He may now be 35 and a reduced role next season might beckon but he has had another great season for us. Still a potent threat down the right hand side and can send in a mean ball for the strikers to capitalise on. Weighs in with some goals himself and although his pace might be fading he can still beat his man with some neat trickery. His goal against Hibs showed he still displays quick thinking and he has also showed a degree of flexibility in his play by been stationed on the left wing on a couple of occasions this season.

Munro - One of the very few players to come through the ranks at ICT. Runner up in Scotsports "Longest Throw" competition laugh.gif Grant has formed a solid partnership with Dods at the heart of the defence. Indeed this season he has performed better than Dods on many occasions I would say and it looks likely he will be given the Captains armband next season. Strong in the air and a fierce tackler, Munro has shown in numerous games he can handle the big stars of the SPL.

Hastings - I was one of those who were sceptical when Robertson brought him back to the club. A bit part player is what most thought of him. When Golabek dropped out of the side through injury Hastings came in and performed exceptionally and soon began to gain confidence the more he played in the team after some shakey starts. This season he has carried on that form and is very much our first choice left back. Indeed, his form has been so good that Golabek has been farmed out to Livi. Certainly one of the most consistent performers for us though often poor with his passing out of defence and his crossing could be better. That said he defends well and matches his attackers for pace on most occasions. A dark horse for our POTY I feel.

My personal preference is between Munro and Wilson. At this stage I don't think I can really separate them. A few more games should do that smile.gif smile.gif

These three must be pretty close to the top of the leader board.

For me Barry must be made the player of the year. He is the one constant for ICT. You just know that when Barry has the ball he will generally make best use of it and is always one of the players you look to for that little bit extra to produce a goal or match winner. This will probably be Barry's last full season for ICT and he should be rewarded with this accolade.

Hastings has some engine, but seldom does he produce the telling cross that troubles defenders. For all his great leading up play the end product is not there. His defensive qualities are also up for debate as once he gets forward, we are exposed at the back, a la Falkirk at the weekend. However he has definitely had a good season, I never doubted his re-signing for us and he has proved his worth, if only he could cross the ball like Robson.

Grantie, his time will come. He is solid and dependable. His downfall is the famous ICT punt which does not always find it's target. He will soon be recognised as a stalwart, and will go on to become an ICT captain and legend, but this year is a year too soon for me. But, like Hastings, he has had an efficient season, probably more consistent than Dods and would be one of the first names on the sheet.

Tokely has also had another solid season, often maligned for his ungamely style but still has time to cut through defenses during his mazy meandering jaunts down the wing, cutting inside defenders, then unfortunately not always delivering the killer blow. Probably just off the pace, but great season anyway big boy.

Rankin has just had his best game for us against Falkirk and scored a precious equaliser. He has weighed in with some vital goals this season, and some spectacular ones at that (Rangers especially sweet) This lad could push for a podium finish next season and I look forward to him forging a good understanding with Markus. Slow start to his ICT career, but his talents are now showing through, keep it up for next year John.

Hart...........I like his style and drive, especially through the middle but lack of games has meant it is not to be this year Richie. I do believe he will be like a new signing come August and hope to see more live footy from him. get your shooting boots on and hit the target please as most keepers will not know what hit them......whooooosh.

Bayne..................nah, much as I like his work rate, his last few performances have been erratic and unproductive, but eleven out of ten for trying.

Black...........one of the most talented players we have, but the old chestnut has haunted him too often to give him a gong. The future is bright, the future is balck.

Duncan...........flits in and out of the team, has been back to his best recently but the wayward passes will be his downfall. Does the jobs that nobody elso will tackle and always looks for the ball, but please sort out the unnecessarily shocking simple passes that go awol and you will be a star.........maybe next year.

McBain...........has anyone seen him. Once he puts on that strip he becomes invisible. Well thats how it appears to me, although the team missed him while he was injured so he must be doing something when he is on the pitch. No end product after some tidy play makes him an also ran.

Dods...........well he is going so he gets nothing. This will not take anything away from the fact he has been outstanding since Caff's red at Killie, and has been instrumental in us still being in the SPL. However, he has his moments, the bad ones being hoofing the ball the way he is facing, but that is more than made up for in his ability to see off most strikers in Scotland. Thanks for what you have done for ICT and good luck elsewhere, but no player of the year award is going to a Dundee United player.

Dargo............injuries have cutailed his proficiency this year and haqving to change strike partners so often has not helped. He is electric when on song but not enough performances, through no fault of his own, to merit the green jacket.

Brown/Fraser..........Both have done their bit for the cause, Mark as we know was excellent, penalties apart and Mike has continued the good work. Next season may well be a very big one for Mike, but he seems pretty cool about it all and fair play dude.

Rory................I have the right to remain silent, but I won't. The pooer loon gets a lot of stick and probably mostly justified. But there has been times when I thought we were on a winner (celtic game) and other times when I wondered what he was all about. Big strapping lad who may benefit from a loan spell and regular games in the first division, whatever, stick with it Rory you have plenty of time on your side. Keep the mantle piece clean in four or five seasons, you never know.

Markus............This lad may be the dark horse for next season. I like him, (but I coulnae eat a whole one). Already has shown he has an eye for goal and would like to see him starting more games next season. Good in the air and willing to take defenders on, an ideal replacement for any old codgers we have in the team. Go Markus go............when the young dudes in the North stand work out a word to Rhyme with Paatelainen, you will be off and running.  Good luck for next season and the rest of this one.

Charlie Christie though gets my vote, the only man for the job.

It's got to be Wilson, by a mile! The Player of the Year league table never lies :

Barry Wilson  42

Mark Brown 42

Darren Dods 23

John Rankin 22

Graham Bayne 21

Ian Black16

Grant Munro 16

Craig Dargo 15

Russell Duncan 11

Richard Hastings 9

Ross Tokely 8

etc

that table is correct up to the turn of the year ...... now that we have reached the split, I will try to update it this week so that the totals go to end of march.

It'd be strange if Wilson were to win. From what I've seen this season (only home games) he hasn't been as influential as he used to be, certainly on the goal scoring front - but also as a playmaker. The fact that he's in contention for player of the season is a sad reflection on some of the younger players who haven't really stepped up to the plate and filled the old guards shoes. That said, I can't fault his work rate. For a 35 year old, to still be able to cover all the ground he does in 90 minutes is a collosal achievement.

It's usually the flair players that catch the eye.

The mere fact that Munro & Hastings aren't even in the Top 5 proves that!!

Mark Brown must have had a **** of a good couple of months to be in 2nd place considering he left nearly 4 months ago?

Do less people vote now than at the start of the season??

Did not think this thread was started as  solely an ICT website player of the year, I thought it was just generally asking peoples opinions on who they thought were the top players this season..............

.............RIG, it's all your fault, whats the answer?

I thought the web poll was an entirely different entity, but the concensus of opinion remains the same..........Bazza is the man.

Yeah - I agree - Bazza is the man - not just for this year either..  Strange that Brewster somehow seemed to give him a whole new lease of life....  :022:

Brewster entered bazza's career just at the right time, when his fitness was holding him back. Just before Robbo left i think it was a case of Barry's legs not doing what his mind wanted them to do, but if theres one thing you can say about Brewster reign is the he got our boys fit.