FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Highland Football Academy - New Approach

I am reliably informed that the participants of the Highland Football Academy are going to be divided into two groups which are not age related. I understand that the philosphy is to create a tier system in the same manner as schools or, more simply, like an A team and B team ideal. The upper tier will receive more intense skill and fitness training whereas the lower tier will receive more skill development training.

A. Is this fair on the participants to create such a divide ?

B. Are we simply creating an elitist breakaway group?

C. Is it right that the upper tier all have to wear ICT colours?

IHE... I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that this is not one of your wind ups. If this is genuine, what IHE quotes strikes me as a potentially very risky strategy. I can't see how players at any level will thrive on what appears, in the case of the lower group, to be a limited fitness regime. Coming from another sport which is highly conditioning and fitness dependent, I would have to say that football has benefited hugely by waking up to this notion over the last decade or so. And I think no team has gained more than ICT from increased attention to fitness.

I am VERY reluctant even to be mildly critical of Pele who to me is right at the top of the Caley Thistle legends' tree. But I do feel he undercooked things a bit in terms of fitness. Robbo began to change that and Brewster's greatest legacy was to revolutionise it. What I saw in Italy last summer and generally chatting to management and players tells me that Charlie has kept this notion very much on board.

At the Academy, I would be quite concerned if up and coming players, even of the second tier, were being under exposed to fitness training.... especially given the dreadful fitness levels prevalent among youngsters these days.