FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Food - of the Chinese variety

Drochit Blue

Interesting fact:

I was once thrown out of and barred from the Jimmy Chungs in Dundee for "eating too much"

Admittedly it was the Dundee Uni Rugby Teams post match meal...  :015:

Since moving over here I have come to the conclusion that there are no really good Chinese eateries in Inverness (unless things have changed drastically) ....

My mother-in-law's best friend is Chinese and she has taken/shown us some really good ones, very authentic (maybe not surprising considering most of the ones she has taken us to have been run by south Asians and are located in strip malls that cater to the Asian community) ... We go to a place called "Harden" for takeaways ... Its $10 (£5) for two fairly large dishes including two lemon teas as well and the food is always great. We go to a place called Joy Fortune for sit down meals and they are also excellent although the big tanks with live fish, lobsters and crabs in them are a little disconcerting at first. For buffet, we go to a place called Mandarin (www.mandarinbuffet.com) which is a bit more processed but still decent enough.

As for Indian food ..... in 5 years, I havent found a decent one - which is surprising as there is a large community here - and thats one thing we always look forward to on trips back.

Brazilian is the next on the list for a special occasion ..... http://www.carnavalgrill.com

Since moving over here I have come to the conclusion that there are no really good Chinese eateries in Inverness (unless things have changed drastically) ....

In fairness tho Scotty.....these dishes served over here are catering for European tastes etc and most are not authentic Chinese dishes. Same with Indian food! I bet if a traditional Chinese restraunt was set up here...it be a million miles from the takeaway grub we have become accustomed to.

Your also living in a major city remember!

I find that opinions on Chinese Takeaway foods, and which is the best, tend to differ far more than opinions on chippers and pizza places.

Mr Rice is my Chinese Takeaway of choice (I practically live out of it).  They don't have them on the menu, but you can get a sweet variety of any of their curries which are to die for, especially if you like your curry on the mild side.  I think I would be right in saying that they have the largest menu of any of the Chinese Takeaways in Inverness, and if you want something that's not on the menu then you just have to ask and they are more than happy to oblige.  They'll also deliver anywhere.

I wouldn't say I've had a "bad" takeaway from anywhere else, they just don't make the dishes the way I like them.  Best to shop around till you find one that suits your tastes.

In fairness tho Scotty.....these dishes served over here are catering for European tastes etc and most are not authentic Chinese dishes. Same with Indian food! I bet if a traditional Chinese restraunt was set up here...it be a million miles from the takeaway grub we have become accustomed to. Your also living in a major city remember!

Fair point.

Although, to be honest ..... as much as I can praise Chinese/Vietnamese/Thai or other South Asian restaurants over here and understand that they are very authentic because they primarily cater to the large number of 1st or 2nd generation immigrants from their own community, I cant for the life of me explain why finding a good Indian restaurant is so much more difficult ... There are a lot of East Indians in Toronto and I have yet to find a decent restaurant .... or maybe it is me ... maybe I like authentic Chinese food but am more in tune with UK style Indian food .....

Good Indian food seems to be a rarity in North America as a whole. From my limited experience , highly spiced food seems to equate with Mexican rather than Indian.

I've never been to the east coast of Canada but have been to the west coast on occasion where the situation in Vancouver is very similar to what Scotty says of Toronto with any number of very good and seemingly authentic Chinese, Japanese and Thai establshments but a dearth of good Indian cuisine.

In fairness tho Scotty.....these dishes served over here are catering for European tastes etc and most are not authentic Chinese dishes. Same with Indian food! I bet if a traditional Chinese restraunt was set up here...it be a million miles from the takeaway grub we have become accustomed to. Your also living in a major city remember!

Fair point.

Although, to be honest ..... as much as I can praise Chinese/Vietnamese/Thai or other South Asian restaurants over here and understand that they are very authentic because they primarily cater to the large number of 1st or 2nd generation immigrants from their own community, I cant for the life of me explain why finding a good Indian restaurant is so much more difficult ... There are a lot of East Indians in Toronto and I have yet to find a decent restaurant .... or maybe it is me ... maybe I like authentic Chinese food but am more in tune with UK style Indian food .....

Ain't that the truth! In China there isn't really one food that is 'Chinese' - every province has its own style. The Yangtse River is the point at which the southern rice eaters change to the northern noodle eaters. Even now transportation of foodstuffs is limited, so people are really stuck to what the local climate can produce.

• 2 weeks later...

I find that opinions on Chinese Takeaway foods, and which is the best, tend to differ far more than opinions on chippers and pizza places.

Mr Rice is my Chinese Takeaway of choice (I practically live out of it).  They don't have them on the menu, but you can get a sweet variety of any of their curries which are to die for, especially if you like your curry on the mild side. 

I wouldn't say I've had a "bad" takeaway from anywhere else, they just don't make the dishes the way I like them.  Best to shop around till you find one that suits your tastes.

And one that suits your appetite....!!  :eat01: