FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The positive Scotland Thread

KingBeastie

After the negativity shown by Moomkin, Mr.Bannerman, TM4TJ, Mantis, et'al regarding the Scottish National Team on another thread I thought I'd start a wee thread where anyone who fancies being a bit more positive can post.

I propose anyone who fancies it can post a positive aspect relating to our boys.

I'll start the ball rolling:

1. Craig Gordon.  Since the retiral of Leighton and Goram we have struggled to find a proper long term option for between the sticks.  I think that in Gordon Scotland have a great keeper who will over the next few years prove himself to be one of the very best in Europe.

Next.....

I reckon if we played England today we'd hump them! Loads of promising young Scottish players coming through, Kris Boyd is an excellent striker, Shaun Maloney's not too shabby either, Craig Beattie, Chris Burke, Gary O Connor, Ian Black, blah blah blah,  lots of hope for the future, we just won a cup ffs!  :003:

Hey! What have I done?

Anyway under Wattie Smith I think we're on the way up and we'd probably have done as well as *ngl*nd have done at the WC. At least we would have shown a bit of passion.

McFadden is coming of age!!!

After having a hard time to settle in the Premiership, last season he started to show some real potential and was one of the few reasons Everton had such a strong finish to the season.  I think this coming season he is going to flurrish playing beside the likes of Beattie, Cahill and now the excellent Andy Johnson!!

We have a goal scorer! Boyd bagged a mass of goals last season and hopefully he can continue his run of form

We have a set-piece taker Maloney scored 5 free kicks last season

The 6 real contenders for player of the seaosn last year were all Scottish... Gordon, Hartley, Steven Naysmith, Boyd, Burke, Maloney

Anderson and Webster are solid at the back

We have a world class Goalkeeper

and so on and so on... plenty of reasons to be happy!! :001: :001: :001: :001:

-------------------Gordon-----------------

Wilson-Webster-Anderson-Naysmith

Burke---Fletcher--Hartley-----Maloney

-----------Boyd-----McFadden-----------

edited because I got my Naysmith's mixed uo  :017: :017:

If you feel that you are sinking into the myre and drivel of the press  and TV coverage over the next few week, just close your eyes and remember the euphoria when.....

Lorimer scoring our first in 74

Wee Archie....beats one beats two; Gemill-GOAL!!! 78

David (Toe-poke) Narey; 'I say' Scotland 1 Brazil nil 82

Stachan, Strachan; what a goal! Scotland 1 Germany 0 86

Stuart McCall...it's a bit late to start playing now! 90

After that except for perhaps the Flower of Scotland prior to the Brazil match in 98, there hasn't been a thing.

My wee boy looks at me as if I'm mad but I remember when......

Have I missed any?

........Don't mistake my nostalgia for negativity!  I too think we have bounced off the bottom and there are many positives from the younger players coming through.  Would be nice to have a bit more strength in depth and I think our real problem is at grassroots level......not enough kids are playing football these days.  I see no initiative whatsoever from the SFA to do a thing about it (after all they have Robbie Williams concerts to organise!).

Scotland will have to consistently lift their performance to qualify for Euro 2008 but with the young squad they have in the making then I don't see why not.  I'll never be anything but positive for Scotland!!!!

Back on a positive note - not only is our team starting to believe in itself and play well, we also have an amazing, colourful, good-natured, humourous support who would have brightened up this World Cup a lot more.

Remember at Bannockburn (bit before my time, right enuff) - outnumbered by more than 3 to 1 by a superior armed force - our guys stayed positive, didn't quit -  and the result - an amazing victory!!  :brave:

I think with the changing ways in Scotland of teams (including Old and Infirm) having no cash to waste on cheap foreigners. the young lads have as good a chance as any to develop and get into the 1st team.

At grass roots level the main problem is the only place you can play footie nowadays is down at a football park.

When the great scottish players of the 60s/70s were growing up, they could play anywhere. nowadays if there isnt a no ball games sign there usually happens to be a car threatening their life.

It reminds me of a time when a Janitor i knew was phoned by a pensioner to tell some kids to stop playing football on college grounds on a beautiful summers day. (and remember this is scotland, we dont get many) He was also asked to phone the police to move them on.

Now not only would this be a terrible waste of police time. but why move them on for making a bit of noise and having fun? Fair enough if  she owned the land but it was college owned and they were just playing football.

Another time me and my friends tried to play football on a privately owned football field because the council owned rugby field grass was too long/ being used (cant remember) and it was fine till some old git who was the groundkeeper or something moved us on because in the past youths had damaged the dugout area and so on and so forth. The fact that the local astroturf pitches were being used for tennis and cost £15 an hour to hire didnt help matters. it would be ok if they were well maintained but this stuff was worse than east end park. And payin to play football, your having a laugh arent you?

Change these attitudes and it might help.  But I for the 1st time since the Euro 2000 qualifiers i feel optimistic about Scotland and it gives me a buzz to watch them. with goal scorers like Boyd and Faddy. Great providers in Burke and Maloney and solid centre halfs in Webster and Mcmanus with a top keeper like Gordon. as well as Fletch and Ferguson and hartley with the likes of O Conner and Roirdan and Steven Smith and Scott Brown. The future looks Bright indeed Oh and dont forget Mark brown (GIVE HIM A GO)

Well done Beastie - top thread!

Now that Everton have bought Andy Johnson, it'll be tough for Fadders to get in the side.

I reckon he'll end up North of the Border before long.

He has his critics, but I for one absolutely love the guy.  True passion and grit.

Just needs to settle a bit and the goals will come.

Roll on Euro 2008 - we'll be there!

Remember, Zidane and a few others may have retired by then!  Changing team - right time to catch them.

We could potentially get a draw.

I remember others on this board saying we wouldn't last 2 mins in the SPL!

I BELIEVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs PB

x

We are more likely to finish 5th than 3rd. 

How is the seeding done for this qualifying?  Both World Cup finalists in one group, what a load of pish.

Considering the draw for European was made some time ago, before the WC finalists were known dont you think the comment is a bit stupid.

France and Italy were also, obviously, seeded a bit apart to have been in different pots.

I actually believe we have as much chance as any of the other teams in our group if we adopt the right attitude to the games. France and Italy may be WC finalists but, from what I've watched over the last few weeks, they are not so very brilliant and are there for the beating.

France and Italy may be WC finalists but, from what I've watched over the last few weeks, they are not so very brilliant and are there for the beating.

Who's having a glass of what Alex and I are drinking.... :clapping04:

:party01:

Guest airbornejake

Hey guys i undrestand i have been away from Scotland 35years now, and watched footy all over europe, do you really believe that Scottish football will or is good enough for euro 2008. i am not so sure.

in the words of the great Scot Kenny Dalgliesh "maybees aye maybees naw"

I think we are at our best when we play against better teams so if we can manage anything against France or Italy it will be a bonus but I think the real test will be taking 3 points from all the other teams in the group.  It's a massive ask but I think for the first time in a LONG while we finaly have a team filled with capable players

• 1 month later...