FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Butcher: 100 Days In

Renegade

116 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Butcher's first 100 days as manager?

• Excellent
    • A bit better than expected
    • Just as expected
    • Slightly worse than expected
    • Disaster

This Saturday is Terry Butcher's 100th day as manager of ICT. So how's he done? I reckon he's done pretty well so far. I know it's still pretty early to really say but the Americans seem to going on about Obama's first hundred days so we may as well do Butcher. But I would like to hear from others who were against his appointment at the time, and if they have changed their minds, or is there anyone who manted him in and now wish someone else had got the job? Discuss.

Edited by Renegade

I wasn't very over excited when TB and MM were appointed and thought we could have done a lot better. However, he has steadied the ship and appears to have instilled some confidence in the boys. We've had some great results and some very poor results so I have mixed feelings at the moment. To be fair to TB he didn't have a lot of time to sort out his squad and assess who he needed before the transfer window closed in January but, hopefully he'll have all Summer to organise our assault up the SPL table.

7/10 for effort.

After speaking to a couple of players last month i'm pretty happy with things so far, the players have responded big time, better than i had hoped at least.

Time will tell (forgive the pun) but if we look back at early January when we looked a disorganised lot, the change is amazing, the players have regained confidence and have total faith in TB/MM.

Considering how low I felt about the team and their chances of survival in as far back as October, by January I was utterly desperate to see the back of Brewster. I was fearing it would be too late. I was slightly more optimistic when Butcher was appointed even though he had an exceedingly difficult task ahead of him. I think alot of it rests on this weekends results. We could go seven points clear of the bottom if results go our way and cement our place in 9th/10th roughly where we finished last year under Brew. The cliche'd phraise time will tell applies here.

The time to judge Butcher will come next season, assuming of course we manage to survive in the SPL. It's been all about trying to repair the damage done to the club by clueless Craig since he took charge.

I'm not sure I could stomach a whole season of the way we are playing just now :rotflmao:

I struggle to think we could do much better under anyone else, so I've gone for excellent (whaddayamean this is a secret ballot). Not a perfect run for the team but given the little time he's had (especially in the transfer market), Butcher has improved the squad no end.

Only Renegade could have done better!

The time to judge Butcher will come next season, assuming of course we manage to survive in the SPL. It's been all about trying to repair the damage done to the club by clueless Craig since he took charge.

I'm not sure I could stomach a whole season of the way we are playing just now :rotflmao:

Agreed....

Right now SPL survival is all that matters.

Agreed....

Right now SPL survival is all that matters.

I also agree, his goal and promise at the start was to keep us up, so far so good.. however we are still not safe, when/if we stay up happydays, hes a man of his word, next thing for next season, if we finish in a much stronger place next season happy days.. time will TELL

I backed Robbo for the job, and still think he could have turned us around. Some may argue with that, but none of us will ever know for sure as he didnt get the job.

I also spoke highly of Terry Butcher before he was given the job as I was an admirer of how he handled things when he was at Motherwell. He steadied them in their time of need, and in the next couple of seasons developed them further.

His first 100 days at ICT have exceeded my expectations if I am honest. We all knew that the players could do it, but for whatever reason(s), under Brewster that was not happening. Terry (and Maurice) have come in, restored that belief, put some smiles back on faces (players and fans alike), and have "steadied" us just as he and MM did with Motherwell. Assuming we stay up, and assuming we can keep some of the players who are only contracted to the end of the season, I look forward to him "developing" us in the same way he developed Motherwell. I just hope he doesnt f*** off to Australia like he did half way through that job at Fir Park though !!!

At this moment in time I feel ICT are not only way ahead of where we might have been had Brewster still been here, but ahead of where I expected them to be under a new manager. I would have been satisfied with us just being in touch with one or other teams going in to the split, but to have got off the bottom and maintained a 4 point gap after the first post-split fixture is, IMO, an excellent achievement.

It's very difficult to judge whether recent results are a result of Butchers management, though I would have to concede he has made a big difference, or the players realisation that their livelihood is at stake. Either way we have seen changes for the better.

What concerns me is that Terry has only committed for another season so, unless he signs up for longer when we're safe, I cant see how he can put long term plans in place for the betterment of the team and the club and If he chooses to leave we're back to square one.

We need a decent period of stability and a plan of progression for, at least, the next five years and, unless we get long term committment at the top, that wont come about if managers aren't staying to oversee the plans.

Given the fact that he was inheriting a very unsettled and patched up squad i'd say he has done a wonderful job.

In the 3 days left in the market he made 2 excellent signings in Brian Kerr and Richie Foran and a decent player in Eric Odhiambo who have all shown how capable they are of playing for the team. He has also brought performances out of misfits like Barrowman, Proctor and of course Djebi-Zadi.

He has also instilled a togetherness back into the team as team spirit and morale seems high again, performances are not always good but they get results and TCS has become a place for teams to fear again as we have only lost 1 league game there since he arrived.

Also the vital games we have played like last week, Ibrox and the last gasp point against the Accies have been very inspiring performances that i would never have thought we would get back in December/January time.

Conclusion will be when we hopefully confirm survival which i'm hoping will be before the end of the season and if this is the case i only hope that Big Tel will remain at the helm for a long time as he is a manager that clearly has the pedigree we needed.

Its been a real mixed bag in the 100 or so days since the appointment of TB and MM. We have had the highs of draw v Celtic, win v Rangers then the absolute pish of away at Falkirk and Aberdeen(2nd half).

I'll be happy if they keep us up, and then see who he lets go, gets in during the summer. We are likely to attract better quality though, if TB/MM sign up for longer. Showing potential players that they believe in the club. Getting TB/MM signed for longer should be a priority of the board once SPL is guaranteed for next year.

I wasn't convinced they were the guys for the job, but I am coming round. I hope once we have confirmed our SPL status, we can start working on some entertaining football and not just get points any way possible. But I suppose we cant have everything

i didnt expect this at all. i go the new home strip for my xmas from the girl, and i laughed and said 'cheers very much, but we are gonna get relegated' and i saw no hope. but from then on, the players were obviously hungry!

when brew got sacked, i was one for bringing back John Robertson. I firmly believe he would have done it, but who would have thought we would be where we are just now, back in january.

Motherwell and the two Falkirk games were utter disappointments for me, but apart from that, Rangers game, 2 st mirren games, Kilmarnock, all thoroughly enjoyable! Lets keep it going though.

Win on Sunday and ill be utterly ecstatic. Go on Kilmarnock aswell.

It's the difference between night and day, hmmmnnn, ...........Brewster or Butcher, Brewster or Butcher..............

Butcher has managed to claw us back from the brink, we were definitely going down under Brewster, he had lost what little plot he ever had, the players were not responding, now they have a new respect and can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Twenty reasons to be cheerful.

Can't think of a thing to say against Mr Butcher.

And if we can get through this season still intact as an SPL side I for one will consider the second half of this season as a resounding success, taking into account all that went before.

Next seasson will be the test--for both T Butcher and the team. No doubt there may be the odd new face in the team but I dont think the money can be there to make wholesale changes., unless some usefuloney comes in from transferring existying players.

So If we can again get through next season with a few outstanding performances along the way, a regenerated defence line and a forward line that gets better and better as the season advances then that will be a very satisfying year for ICT and me.

:rotflmao: