FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Wales v Scotland

Yngwie

Squad announced today. Good to see Cowie keep his place after grabbing his chance when so many others couldn't be bothered going to Japan.

For the first time, we have 2 ex-ICT players in a Scotland squad.

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Sunderland), Jamie Langfield (Aberdeen), David Marshall (Cardiff)

Defenders: Christophe Berra (Wolves), Gary Caldwell (Celtic), Steven Caldwell (Burnley), Danny Fox (Celtic), Alan Hutton (Tottenham), Stephen McManus (Celtic), Lee Wallace (Hearts), Steven Whittaker (Rangers)

Midfielders: Don Cowie (Watford), Graham Dorrans (West Brom), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), Ross McCormack (Cardiff), James McFadden (Birmingham), Barry Robson (Celtic), Kevin Thomson (Rangers)

Forwards: Steven Fletcher (Burnley), Kevin Kyle (Kilmarnock), Kenny Miller (Rangers), Steven Naismith (Rangers), Derek Riordan (Hibernian).

Not much enthusiasm for this one then. It's understandable, i suppose, after yet another anticlimactic qualifying campaign. I still believe that we have a decent first eleven. Here's the team i'd like to see on Saturday:

-------------------MARSHALL-----------------

HUTTON----CALDWELL---MCMANUS----FOX

------------FLETCHER---THOMPSON---------

MCCORMACK-----MCFADDEN------ROBSON

-----------------------MILLER------------------

I'd aslo like to see run-outs for Berra, Whittaker, Dorrans, Naismith Steven Fletcher.

Not much enthusiasm for this one then. It's understandable, i suppose, after yet another anticlimactic qualifying campaign. I still believe that we have a decent first eleven. Here's the team i'd like to see on Saturday:

-------------------MARSHALL-----------------

HUTTON----CALDWELL---MCMANUS----FOX

------------FLETCHER---THOMPSON---------

MCCORMACK-----MCFADDEN------ROBSON

-----------------------MILLER------------------

I'd aslo like to see run-outs for Berra, Whittaker, Dorrans, Naismith Steven Fletcher.

No place for Don Cowie?

Not even on the bench....

For me (without pointing out Adam is very left-footed):

Langfield

Hutton - G. Caldwell - S. Caldwell - Wallace

McFadden - S. Brown - D. Fletcher - Riordan

McCormack - S. Fletcher

GK: Marshall looked poor when he had his chance, so Langfield gets his. Not great but what can you do?

CD: I'll give the Caldwell brothers another chance. Gary, despite the criticism, is still our best defender, whereas I've heard Steven Caldwell is a better defender than either Berra or McManus. I'd like to see us play sweeper more (especially against that away match in Norway), moving Gary back and bringing in Berra but that shouldn't be necessary against Wales.

FB: Wallace gets his chance but I'd also like to see Mulgrew given his, especially when we play in a back 5, where he can use his attacking instinct more. Whittaker has looked very poor recently (and I like him as a player normally), so gets dropped.

MID: Riordan is way too good to be left out. McFadden can play on the right so he gets in there. It's maybe an idea though to start with the tougher tackling Robson and then McFadden in the second half, but it's only a friendly, so let's attack.

ATT: No more Miller. He just doesn't score enough. McCormack's a terrific player. Riordan and McCormack could switch about to see who gives the best balance but, for me, the trickiness and strength of McCormack gives him the nod up front. I've never been a big fan of Steven Fletcher but he deserves his chance after scoring for Scotland and Burnley.

I'd give Fox, Kyle and Naismith a run-out from the bench. Maybe Dorrans too but no-one else needs to be seen.