FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Wilson Promises More

RiG

Nice piece in the P & J from Mr Wilson in which he raises two things that I have commented on recently.

1) While we are in a very good position we still aren't playing the kind of football we are capable of.

2) Our sole tactic on Saturday was "Thump to bayne" which was, essentially, ineffectual garbage. When we pass it we play so much better.

Caley Thistle are scaling the heights in the SPL - but Inverness midfielder Barry Wilson believes his team should be doing much better.

Craig Dargo's first-half goal brought the Highlanders a hard-earned point at St Mirren on Saturday, lifting the club to fourth place in the SPL. But Wilson believes the team is still under-achieving.

He said: "We are on a decent run but confidence should be higher and we should be playing better. In the last couple of weeks we have been getting good results without playing reasonably well and I think it caught up with us in the second half against St Mirren. But an away draw is a good result and we haven't lost ground to anyone."

Wilson is firm in his belief it was two points that escaped from Charlie Christie's side following Dargo's fifth goal of the season which had given the team an interval lead.

Having looked on course for their fourth win in a row, Caley Jags were distinctly off the pace in a poor second-half display, with Gus MacPherson's Buddies grabbing a deserved point courtesy of John Sutton's goal.

Wilson added: "I'm really disappointed. We tried to hit Graham Bayne all the time instead of getting the ball down and passing it and it's not like us.

"The way St Mirren play, they cause us a lot of problems - as they showed on the first day of the season when they beat us 2-1 at Caledonian Stadium."

*Wilson Interview*

I think he raises a fair point about our sole tactic on Saturday which clearly wasn't working. One wonders why we persisted with it for so long...

Exactly!!  long ball to Bayne is doing my nut in.

One problem we have is that our defenders, though good at stopping the opposition, panic when they get the ball and are not able to play out of defence so they take the other option and punt. We hqave midfielders that can link with each other and with strikers but we dont have defenders who have the confidence to link up and play the ball out of trouble.

When Baltacha took over we became better defensively but boring. For most seasons after he was replaced we attacked teams at all levels and built a formidably reputation. We met SPL teams and found them boring machines who often panicked when attacked. We joined the SPL and caught the disease. We need to defend like **** in this league, keep the ball, but as we showed against Falkirk attack is a tremendous form of defence. Every time we sit back and defend a lead we get punished. I recall Stewarty getting a hat trick against the Dons in a friendly we actually won. In 6 SPL games between us there have been just 6 goals. I hope we rebuild our home record based on continuous attack behind our sound defence and fit midfield and that we start on Monday with Denzil and Harty leading the initial charge. One good win against the Dons will give us the confidence we need and bring more spectators into Caledonian Stadium. Aberdeen were initially at panic stations against Hibs but stabilised and eventually got the break with KJillen's sending off and the late goal.

Wilson shouldn't be captain, you need someone who encourages and motivates players. Players in these positions tend to be centre halfs and midfielders as they are in the heart of the action and have a 'team' personality while attacking players, by their nature, are more selfish and more inclined to moan when things aren't going their way.

What I'm trying to say is you need a team player as captain and while I think Wilson brings a lot to the team and is one of our best players, he isn't a worker like a Dods, Munro, etc are. If we are changing captain it's Munro all the way for me.

One problem we have is that our defenders, though good at stopping the opposition, panic when they get the ball and are not able to play out of defence so they take the other option and punt. We hqave midfielders that can link with each other and with strikers but we dont have defenders who have the confidence to link up and play the ball out of trouble.

Thats where a holding midfielder with good passing skills is a huge benefit to defenders who dont share david beckhams passing skills. All it takes is a short pass from the defence to a holding midfielder who can spray the ball wherever.

Personally i am not a fan of the long ball tactic at all and i dont think it suits our team, our defenders are excellent at stopping attacks and all it needs is a short simple pass to a midfielder dropping deep and we can build from there. its not rocket science.

Personally i am not a fan of the long ball tactic at all and i dont think it suits our team

Doesnt matter what division we were in, or what season it was, we have always been a far better team when playing the ball on the deck and passing it around

Spot on Scotto.

You have to wonder why, if the fans could see it wasn't working, the players weren't getting along with it and with St. Mirren pounding us, we didn't stop playing long ball and change our style of play?

Personally i am not a fan of the long ball tactic at all and i dont think it suits our team

Doesnt matter what division we were in, or what season it was, we have always been a far better team when playing the ball on the deck and passing it around

couldnt agree more

One game always stands out for me with regards to this debate - the final game of the 2003/04 season v Saint Johnstone when, in the first 25 minutes, we passed them so far off the park they'd have been as well going on a dolphin cruise in the Firth. We utterly destroyed them and I have never seen an ICT performance like it this season and yet we are doing better than ever!?  :017: :015:

One game always stands out for me with regards to this debate - the final game of the 2003/04 season v Saint Johnstone when, in the first 25 minutes, we passed them so far off the park they'd have been as well going on a dolphin cruise in the Firth. We utterly destroyed them and I have never seen an ICT performance like it this season and yet we are doing better than ever!?  :017: :015:

Absolutely RiG. Remember the game like it was yesterday, the passing was so crisp and accurate it was a joy to behold

I think wilsons age and experience would easily counteract any selfish attacker instincts. He both plays by example and encourages his team mates around him.

Wouldnt have dods stripped of the captaincy though. that would be harsh.