FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Butchers No Show at Testimonial

Renegade

I really enjoyed it. It was a good game for a friendly with actually some quite entertaining performances. Some of the players obviously still have it in them and Bobby Mann's passing is still something to behold. Their was even some niggles between Adams and Christie, but special mention must go to the still great Jim Calder! Still the showman and pulled off one really good save as well. Going up for that corner made my day!

Sadly, one thing though did dampen it somewhat. If Terry Butcher missed that game on his own choosing, then that is really a disgrace. This was a game for two legends of the ICT team throughout the years and two players he managed. He's the face of this club and should have been there and in doing so also missed some performances from reserve and youth players who could make the step up next season - particularly the 1st half ICT number eleven Kyle White, who looked very dangerous at left wing. If all those ex-players, fans and managers can make the effort then so can Butcher.

• Agree 1

Come on - give Butcher a break - you have to take Terry's personality and past decision making in to consideration - he would have been demoted to a bystander and may have had to face some questioning about whteher he had any regrets about the Munro dumping. Narcissists avoid such contacts. Cant wait to hear his excuse - will he blame the missus, the dogs etc., etc. ??

Granty and Russell already knew what Butcher thinks of them but not turning out just proves he is just a big English barsteward without any respect for anyone other than his own little jabbies :werenotworthy:

Thanks for all you did to make this club what it was before he got rid of you - shame on him

Edited by caleyboy
  • Agree 3

Dissapointed Terry didn't make an appearance, wasn't there myself so I maybe can't say anything but unfortunately trying to get a degree has to come infront of what sounds like a good and deserved day for Grant and Russell.

Damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

Granty and Russell already knew what Butcher thinks of them but not turning out just proves he is just a big English barsteward without any respect for anyone other than his own little jabbies

Personal insults, especially those of a racist nature only serve to show your true colours.

Does anyone actually know why TB was not there? He is clearly not Grant and Russell's favourite person and they may have expressed a wish that that he not be present. In any case, the focus of the day has to be on Grant and Russell and his presence would inevitably detract from that. Whoever initiated his absence I am sure it was agreed by all that it was for the best.

Dunno about that DD. Personally I feel that as ICT manager he should have been there regardless. It would have made him look like a bigger person.I think probably all should have moved on.

Absolutely agree that all should have moved on - but have they? All I'm saying is that it is not fair to slate the manager for not being there today if you don't know why he wasn't. I'll be first in the queue to criticise if it turns out he simply snubbed 2 of the greatest servants this club has ever had. Focus should be on those 2 and not on Butcher.

Granty and Russell already knew what Butcher thinks of them but not turning out just proves he is just a big English barsteward without any respect for anyone other than his own little jabbies

Personal insults, especially those of a racist nature only serve to show your true colours.

Oh take a trip man - I'm anything but racist

Sorry oh mighty one - I'm anything but racist and you don't know anything about my "true colours".

Not at all. Terry Butcher is the face of this club and should have been there. Even if someone had asked him why he was there all he would have had to say was "I'm here to represent this club, to watch some of the young boys for next season and to see some of next season's opposition as well". But of course, no-one would've batted an eyelid. Heck, even Brewster turned out for the legends team in Roy McBain's game!

• Agree 4

If he has genuine reasons for not being present, would it be too much to expect him to have said in advance that he was sorry that he could not be present and wish the two players well?

In spite of his personal or professional opinions of the players and their value to the team (I actually have no real issue with the idea that we needed to move on from Grant and Russell), as the current Manager of the club (and the Manager during the latter stage of their time with the club) it is at the very least his duty to publicly thank the players on behalf of the club for their efforts (hence the reason for the testimonial in the first place).

• Agree 1

Given the fact that this thread is in the danger of, or has succeeded in, turning into a kick Terry Butcher one, rather than a praise Munro and Duncan one, maybe Butcher had an inkling of the way some ICT fans would react if he did turn up and decided to spare everybody at the testimonial the satisfaction of of making their day by booing him and possibly spoiling the day for Grant and Russell...and took the sensible course for the benefit of all......particularly of those who did the hard work of organising all the Testimonial for them.

As CaleyD said, damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

• Agree 2

Given the fact that this thread is in the danger of, or has succeeded in, turning into a kick Terry Butcher one, rather than a praise Munro and Duncan one, maybe Butcher had an inkling of the way some ICT fans would react if he did turn up and decided to spare everybody at the testimonial the satisfaction of of making their day by booing him and possibly spoiling the day for Grant and Russell...and took the sensible course for the benefit of all......particularly of those who did the hard work of organising all the Testimonial for them.

As CaleyD said, damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

No sorry dont buy this! He is ICT manager and its his job to turn up as it was ICT v Ross County in the first half. He would not have got booed and I doubt he would even have got much stick. He could have watched from the hospitality area if he wanted. He missed some good performances from the younger players by not being there. BTW in not giving Russell and Grant new contracts Terry Butcher was just doing what he felt was right at the time ie his job. and although I dodnt agree with him I respect his right to make it.I think the damned if he did option was the one he should have taken in many fans eyes.

• Agree 3

If Butcher didn't go because he was scared of being booed then maybe he should move to another profession - not that he would have been anyway mind. If he really didn't attend through his own choosing then that is very unprofessional, no matter what the circumstances are.

Edited by Renegade

As folk have said poor show but I don't think the lads were too bothered! Well done to Scott Kellacher tho for masterminding the best home ICT performance in some time. ;)

• Agree 1