FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Butchers No Show at Testimonial

Renegade

Whatever spin you may choose to put on this thread CD it is perfectly legitimate to question his absence in recognition of the hugely important position he holds within the club.

It shows a huge lack of respect for players that are far more important to supporters than he ever will be, a distinct lack of judgement and ultimately, insults the people who pay his wages.

For me it is far more important than just the no show. The departure of Grant was appalling and never explained to the support. He refused to acknowledge that the testimonial was taking place in the programme or in the media leading up to it. He declined an invitation to attend. There was no message after the match in the hospitality or per match over the tannoy. Patently, he holds no interest in the history of the club or respect for these who have contributed. Arrogant and insulting.

Ask yourself this, if Brewster had done this would you be defending him?

I can't answer for you but am pretty sure that many who are on here defending Butcher the Ipswich, Rangers,

England and media legend do so because of his image, history and profile. Certainly not his performance and behaviour.

• Agree 4

Where TB was I don't know but I'd be happier if he was at the Hibs V Killie game doing his homework as we still have to play them both than sitting watching a testamonial. (whether he was there or not who knows)

Even if some of the first team or young players made an appearance on Sun - thats why TB has a management team and they can perform duties in absence.

Simple case of no win situation now with the TB witch-hunt thats ongoing

He attends - over-shadows the players and the day

Fails to attend - shows no respect and over-shadows the players and the day

Whatever spin you may choose to put on this thread CD it is perfectly legitimate to question his absence in recognition of the hugely important position he holds within the club.

It shows a huge lack of respect for players that are far more important to supporters than he ever will be, a distinct lack of judgement and ultimately, insults the people who pay his wages.

For me it is far more important than just the no show. The departure of Grant was appalling and never explained to the support. He refused to acknowledge that the testimonial was taking place in the programme or in the media leading up to it. He declined an invitation to attend. There was no message after the match in the hospitality or per match over the tannoy. Patently, he holds no interest in the history of the club or respect for these who have contributed. Arrogant and insulting.

Ask yourself this, if Brewster had done this would you be defending him?

I can't answer for you but am pretty sure that many who are on here defending Butcher the Ipswich, Rangers,

England and media legend do so because of his image, history and profile. Certainly not his performance and behaviour.

Is it not also possible that he stayed away out of respect for those two players?

Personally I cant see what the big deal is one way or the other. Perhaps it would be a more apt debate if the subject was the many fans who never turned up. My own reason was that I couldn't get a heli for a few hours.

Another way to look at this, if we take the example of any other business/company/firm outside of football for a moment, if a firm were to hold a function for long-standing employees then i for one would expect the boss to be there regardless if he did/did not see eye to eye with the person(s) the function was being held for.

From this perspective i am dissapointed in Terry not being in attendance

• Agree 3

You can all argue and defend as much as you want but I am afraid that Sorted has got it totally bang on.

Lets look at what the textbook says:

People with narcissistic tendencies have errors in thinking which prevents them from seeing things how they are from both sides of the picture. Not wanting to feel bad inside, they build defenses such as denial, repression and a strong need to be right. When the person has severe traits, they can feel an increase in self-esteem when they get what they want and feel no remorse or justify their using others. Some even get a sense of feeling superior when they get their way or make others feel bad. This is the dynamic underlying bullying. People with narcissistic behavior cannot handle criticism in any way and feel that they are being made wrong. . They are supersensitive to criticism and either attack the other person or they leave the scene. This blaming the person who gives criticism helps the person with narcissistic defenses avoid feeling guilt, shame and depression but it also keeps them from taking responsibility for learning from their mistakes and ultimately from growing up. They can pout and give the silent treatment or hold grudges.

I don't know Butcher personally so I don't know if he is a bully or a coward but I do think he showed a complete lack of class and respect by not showing up on Sunday. I wonder how current players such as Tokely feel about his no show

• Agree 1

I doubt if it turned out to be a surprise - just like Tokely following in the footsteps of Munro will not be a surprise - or Butcher finding a role in the pending Glasgow City Rangers regime.

I fear you are right!

• Agree 1

Kind of getting bored of the Butcher Out brigade, who, lets face it, have been on his case since said release of the two players whose testimonial he supposedly didn't attend (I say supposedly, because I personally don't know if he was or he wasn't).

As has been said by others, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Turn Up, the fans say 'whats he doing here. the hypocrite! he released them now he's praising them. Butcher out'

Don't Turn Up, the fans say 'what a disrespectful oaf. why didnt he be the bigger man. butcher out.'

I know from personal experience that Butcher doesn't want to over shadow other people's limelight. He refused to join the Highland March lap-of-honour last year in fear it would be ruined by boo's aimed at him because of GM and RD's release. I'm sure, if he did stay away from the testimonial, that this would be his thinking. That if he showed up, the fans would chant away at him for releasing them, rather than showing much deserved support for two legends of the club.

Let's also not forget, that although Butcher hasn't said why he released Grant and Russell, neither of these two have come out to say why either!!

My own personal opinion on the release is that they were simply surplus to requirements. Lee Cox was quickly over taking Russell in the pecking order, so thats understandable, and the chances are that, following the captaincy issue and the possible friction that maybe came from it, perhaps Butcher, and maybe even Grant, thought the best thing to do was to part ways.

There is no doubt we have missed Grant this season, and I agree Butcher is to blame for that. But perhaps the 'butcher out brigade' can give it a rest for the final 4 games of the season, because to be completely honest, i'm getting rather bored of seeing people sprout utter pish at any possible oppertunity!

• Agree 1

It's a curious thread this. I don't know if I'd turn up for the party for a couple of ex-employees who I'd decided to "let go" and endured the backlash from customers outwith the business who have decided that it's their business to opine about it because the buy the product and liked those two employees. Butcher was graceful enough at the testimonial dinner etc. time, could well have felt that the game was just dragging this out. Who knows?

Kind of getting bored of the Butcher Out brigade, who, lets face it, have been on his case since said release of the two players whose testimonial he supposedly didn't attend (I say supposedly, because I personally don't know if he was or he wasn't).

As has been said by others, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Turn Up, the fans say 'whats he doing here. the hypocrite! he released them now he's praising them. Butcher out'

Don't Turn Up, the fans say 'what a disrespectful oaf. why didnt he be the bigger man. butcher out.'

I know from personal experience that Butcher doesn't want to over shadow other people's limelight. He refused to join the Highland March lap-of-honour last year in fear it would be ruined by boo's aimed at him because of GM and RD's release. I'm sure, if he did stay away from the testimonial, that this would be his thinking. That if he showed up, the fans would chant away at him for releasing them, rather than showing much deserved support for two legends of the club.

Let's also not forget, that although Butcher hasn't said why he released Grant and Russell, neither of these two have come out to say why either!!

My own personal opinion on the release is that they were simply surplus to requirements. Lee Cox was quickly over taking Russell in the pecking order, so thats understandable, and the chances are that, following the captaincy issue and the possible friction that maybe came from it, perhaps Butcher, and maybe even Grant, thought the best thing to do was to part ways.

There is no doubt we have missed Grant this season, and I agree Butcher is to blame for that. But perhaps the 'butcher out brigade' can give it a rest for the final 4 games of the season, because to be completely honest, i'm getting rather bored of seeing people sprout utter pish at any possible oppertunity!

I was not in the "Butcher out" brigade when Munro and Duncan got released as I wrongly thought he had must have had better replacements in mind. As you feel people are spouting "utter pish" can you let me know how you feel Butcher has in anyway improved the team in any shape or form this season, and if you are happy with the style of football been turned out on a regular basis.

Easy to say people are spouting "utter pish" but better if you can back that up with how they feel they are wrong.

I am not in the Butcher Out Brigade but I feel that it was a poor judgement not to show face. Regardless of whether Munro and Duncan are part of Butchers legacy, in the bigger picture they are part of ICTs legacy and therefore as current manager of ICT I feel he should have been there, just personal opinion

Well i have just found out why Terry wasnt at the game and will take back the criticism I posted regarding his no show. It turns out he was at an SFA coaching conference. Link at the bottom

Terry Butcher reflects on 2012 Coaching Conference

Tuesday, 24 April 2012

Everton's Alan Irvine, Middlesbrough's Steve Agnew and Scottish FA's Donald Park entertained and enlightened over two hundred coaches attending the South East region's Coaching Conference on Sunday. The game at all levels was represented by the coaching community who attended, an audience which included Inverness Caledonian Thistle manager Terry Butcher.

The former Scotland assistant boss was more than impressed by the presentations and practical demonstrations he witnessed at the Braidwood Motor Company Stadium.

"I thought Alan, Steve and wee Parky (Donald Park) were top class today," he said. "You just need to look at the number of coaches here to see how much we appreciate the Scottish FA and the regional guys putting on events like this."

"The best thing is that the day works for coaches right along the spectrum, from the ones working with the tiny tots right through to the senior pro level."

"When I started my coaching career I rarely attended events like this, I tended to get bogged down by the day to day of club life, but now I try to get to as many as possible, although they are quite often a treck from Inverness. They are really good to see, it's a good chance to network and to hear other coaches philosophy of the game."

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=2565&newsCategoryID=13&newsID=9727

Perfectly valid reason for not being there.

Now what is the reason for no message or comment on his behalf on the day or in his pre match press conference or programme notes ?

For example- "Unfortunately I am unable to attend Grant and Russell's special day. No doubt they will get a fantastic welcome from all at ICT for the service given to the club over many years. As the manager of the club I am well aware of the just how highly they are thought of by everyone, staff and supporters alike. They deserve all the plaudits they get and our sincere thanks for the enormous contribution to help take the club to where it is now. Have a great day boys!"

I'm not that hard to please really :wink:

• Agree 3

Nice to see the 'Butchers bad for not attending' brigade continue the one debate yet choose to ignore any debate on the poor turnout by many of those who claimed to support Grant and Russell but couldn't be ersed making the effort. How many of those who did turn up came across the bridge on a day ticket. For a testimonial like this one I would have expected at least double the actual turnout considering over 7300 turned out for Barry

If that's aimed at me Alex, I'll bite.

I bought five tickets, three adults and two kids. I was due to be one of them but due to the rescheduling of a golf tie (which I won incidentally :clapping:) I had to cancel. Chose not to forfeit the tie but could have I suppose. Did however make sure the ticket was used and made sure my best regards were passed on to those concerned.

That's a perfectly legitimate reason particularly if he couldn't get out of it, but as Sorted said, he should have mentioned this beforehand that he couldn't attend, gives the reason why, acknowledged the game was taking place and then wished the players well either via the website or programme or whatever. Had he done that this whole episode would have been avoided.