FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Strengthen during transfer window?

Guest Mahonio

Guest Mahonio

With it only 3-4 days until Jan window opens, do you think we need to strengthen or does it depend on who goes

Imo, we probably need another Striker to replace Curtis Allen and possibly someone in on loan who could replace Foran whilst he's injured.

I think we're actually well placed in all positions except striker. Not sure what John Hughes will do with Toby? It would probably be wise to give him a deal until the end of the season.

Our next top scorers after Billy are, (jointly), Doran and Foran on 4 goals! If Billy got injured we'd likely have problems finding the net without overhauling our system. 

There are, of course, two players of potential in the U20's - Calum Ferguson and Ali Sutherland.

But realistically, we do need to bring in a forward with experience.  

Not even wanting to contemplate Billy leaving next month.

Just after watching Yogi's post match interview on the official YouTube channel, I wholeheartedly agree with what he said regards the January transfer window: "If we can keep everyone at this football club, then I make that good business"

I think that the depth in the squad is actually not too bad when you compare this squad to last seasons. Do we need to strengthen? - I don't think so. What we need to do is Yogi to get in about the squad and be the motivator that Terry Butcher was.

However, with Curtis Allen leaving and Toby Agdestein's contract running out next month, I think Yogi needs to address the strikers situation as we are very light. Will we be renewing Toby's contract? Is Calum Ferguson ready to be a back up striker? What about the Arsenal link up, is it still there after Philip Roberts, we could utilise that.

Other than strikers, I think our current squad is the best we could ask for and we desperately need to keep hold of that.

I agree about an assistant manager coming in though.

• Agree 1

Will we be renewing Toby's contract?

Well put it this way. From what we have seen, there is very little evidence that he is capable of doing well for us upfront, and add to that the fact that he is a 22 year old striker who hasn't scored even a single goal since he was 18.

We need a 2nd choice striker who is at least remotely capable of challenging for a 1st team place, and sadly he isn't the answer. He was a panic signing when it became apparent that Curtis was a total dud.

• Agree 1

Will we be renewing Toby's contract?

Well put it this way. From what we have seen, there is very little evidence that he is capable of doing well for us upfront, and add to that the fact that he is a 22 year old striker who hasn't scored even a single goal since he was 18.

We need a 2nd choice striker who is at least remotely capable of challenging for a 1st team place, and sadly he isn't the answer. He was a panic signing when it became apparent that Curtis was a total dud.

To be fair to Toby, how he nor Shane Sutherland from previous seasons could make an impact in a game within 10/20 mins is beyond me.

I have watched Toby at U20 games, at the start of the season he was scoring goals granted he only scored like 2 maybe 3 but I agree we need a solid 2nd choice goalscorer that can influence the game at anytime and I don't think Toby can do that.

Actually we have a pretty good strike force as we are, it is just that they seem to have lost confidence in shooting. They seem to deliberate too long on the ball and when the shot does come it is too tentative. At the start of the season they were all banging them in and they seem to have lost that.

An experienced striker that we could afford would either be too prima donnaish or at best little better than we have now so I would stick with what we have got and get Yogi to sort out the existing problems in training.

I go along with the bring back Dave the rave factor and play Graeme where we did during the second half of the Aberdeen game. I would also shorten the contributions of Ross, Williams

and Doran and sub them with young blood from time to time to increase place competition and sharpness. Young Christie proved that point today with his short but very active role.

So I say keep what we have got in the transfer window if possible and replace only any that get whisked off.

• Agree 1

Actually we have a pretty good strike force as we are, it is just that they seem to have lost confidence in shooting. They seem to deliberate too long on the ball and when the shot does come it is too tentative. At the start of the season they were all banging them in and they seem to have lost that.

An experienced striker that we could afford would either be too prima donnaish or at best little better than we have now so I would stick with what we have got and get Yogi to sort out the existing problems in training.

I go along with the bring back Dave the rave factor and play Graeme where we did during the second half of the Aberdeen game. I would also shorten the contributions of Ross, Williams

and Doran and sub them with young blood from time to time to increase place competition and sharpness. Young Christie proved that point today with his short but very active role.

So I say keep what we have got in the transfer window if possible and replace only any that get whisked off.

That's the worrying thing, although we have a good strikeforce that comes down to Billy Mckay. Say Billy gets injured or suspended (touch wood), then where will the goals come from. We really do need more help upfront, a tall goalscorer would be nice! Edited by ICTRoughi
  • Agree 1

I was always a fan of Shane Sutherland to be a second choice striker but i was fully behind the idea to let him go, only of we brought in a better replacement and Curtis and Toby are both inferior to Shane IMO.

As for the arsenal link, should we trust it? It didnt exactly help us, ok before anyone bites Roberts did 2 things well, but other than that I thought he was awful.

IN

Striker

Midfielder (Holding or behind striker role)

OUT

Toby

Agdestein hasn't had anything like enough time to prove himself this season so far. Coming on with 5-10 minutes to go when we're down (the usual scenario) or out of sight is of little use to him or us. He's not going to displace Billy as No. 1 striker, so what does he do? We couldn't go 2 up front against Celtic, Commons would have ripped up our midfield. His record in the under 20's is pretty good, he links and leads the line pretty well. Keep him I say, and give him chances when the games start to pile up in March/ April.

• Agree 1

The fact that we've started to fall down the table means its a 100% yes for strengthening in my opinion

I do worry what type of player Yogi targets though it's likely we will start seeing a different sort of player arriving to what we've been used to under Butcher

The type that likes his fitba, gives 110% and his an honest good bloke which translates into cart horse

Dougal

Fully agree too, we have dropped from league leaders to 4th (with a game in hand), a cup semi final and still in contention for a 2nd cup - personally I think its time to get rid of these underachievers and replace the lot of them with established international stars who are willing to work for the level of salary our huge support of 3k deserve.

In all seriousness though I do think we need someone who can score goals to help Billy and give another option. I know there are reports of bad attitude and fitness etc, but I'd think about someone like Tony Watt on loan, good player who has scored at this level and might prove himself? We also need someone to step up and cover Foran when injured but I think we already have players in the club who can do that, its just the right forumla and set up on pitch required. Overall only really need 1 player and keep everyone we have.

I see ex falkirk striker Lyle Taylor has gone to Partick Thistle on loan. That's the type of player we need!

As for Tony Watt coming here, would've better signing him if Terry Butcher was still manager but in saying that Richie would be just as good to sort him out. I made a suggestion the other day, Bahruddin Atajic, every time I watched him against our U20 and also Ross County's u20 he was always a stand out for them.

The fact that we've started to fall down the table means its a 100% yes for strengthening in my opinion

I do worry what type of player Yogi targets though it's likely we will start seeing a different sort of player arriving to what we've been used to under Butcher

The type that likes his fitba, gives 110% and his an honest good bloke which translates into cart horse

Dougal

Dougal, strikers are not my worry when it comes to Yogi signings. I believe it was he who brought in Stokes, Moutinho, Duffy and Steve Lovell and at the time I'd probably had any at ICT, so I am fairly confident with his ability to pick out a goal scorer if required. And none of them could possibly be described as cart horses. In fact of the top of my head I can't really think of any true cart horse types who he signed.

I do think we need back up, up front. Perhaps a loan signing. Aside from that we're fine. I think the likes of Christie and Polworth have the required quality along with a few others to fill any gaps brought about b injury or suspension. The rest to me is a player out/ player in scenario.

What about Farid El Alagui?  Fallen out of favour at Brentford apparently.  Proven goalscorer in Division One at Falkirk, and offers something to Mckay.  Don't know if he'd come here, but he'd be a good signing I think.

• Agree 3