FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Former Football Grounds

Kingsmills

With so many clubs having decamped into anonomous concrete and steel cloned stadia of varying sizes there must now be dozens of former football grounds throughout the United Kingdom serving different purposes.

Locally, those new functions are all too boring and mundane with Kingsmills turned over to housing, Telford Street to a retail park, Muirton Park now being home to an ASDA and Peterhead's old ground at Recreation Park housing yet another Supermarket.

Surely somewhere on this Island there is an old football stadium serving a more interesting purpose.

Does anyone know of any old grounds which have actually been converted into something worthwhile ?

Good question Km. I can't think of any at all, not even down here in Englandshire. Like you say, they're all housing developments or retail parks.

You know of course that bastion of Inverness football in the crown area Kingsmills park, is now an old folks home  :015: :015:

As you entered the ground the waft of pee hit yer nose...nothing changes eh  :016:

:003:

Looked up a few others :

Boghead, The Baseball Ground, Ayresome Park and Maine Road are all housing.

Broomfield became Safeway, while Burnden Park is an Asda.

The Goldstone Ground and Leeds Road are retail parks.

Boothferry Park and the Vetch Field are awaiting demolition.

Cliftonhill was demolished 25 years ago, but is still home to Albion Rovers.

I'm sure I've got a newspaper photo somewhere. Also I think LSM the fanzine has one but in my new spirit of ecumenical goodwill I won't upset the half a dozen jeggies who frequent this forum  :001:

Just looked thro the old stadium pics and was reminded of hamden. I remember as a child thinking the commentary box looked so unsafe and about to slip off the roof (hopefully wi **** brown in it). Also, Tannadice, was and still is the worst ground for me simply as its so bits and piecey. Am into symetrey and cant stand lopsided off centre stands.