FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Loan Players

I think we have 7 loan players. 

Is this a good thing I wonder?

Pro, if they 'do well' with us it might advance their career at their aren't club or see them find another club.

Con, are they as committed to the cause as others? If the Morton game on 3rd May is 'do or die' are they going to give it their all and risk injuring themselves at that stage of the season?

• Thoughtful 1

14 minutes ago, Duke of Inverness said:

Pro, if they 'do well' with us it might advance their career at their aren't club or see them find another club.

Con, are they as committed to the cause as others? If the Morton game on 3rd May is 'do or die' are they going to give it their all and risk injuring themselves at that stage of the season?

I’m not a big fan of loans, yes they can do well when they are here but then they just walk away and we need to reset. 

I find it a little worrying we’ve lost two big players and the general influx coming in has been youths from the English set up with no real experience of a relegation fight. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, ICTPaisley said:

I’m not a big fan of loans, yes they can do well when they are here but then they just walk away and we need to reset. 

I find it a little worrying we’ve lost two big players and the general influx coming in has been youths from the English set up with no real experience of a relegation fight. 

This ...

One or two loans such as Boyes and in the past Henderson fine, I just think 7 too many. 

Carson being forced out is highly disappointing and Wotherspoon has not been replaced. 

• Like 1

It would be interesting to look at loan utilisation in the 4/5 years leading up to our Scottiish Cup win in 2015.

My perception is that we had a period of fairly low player turnover and few loans.  Which was likely the key to those golden years.

Edited by STFU
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, old caley girl said:

Carson being forced out is highly disappointing.

I don’t believe he was forced out as a move to the central belt worked for him.

I don’t want to say more about the circumstances in a public forum but I believe a lot of us are aware and understand them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Well Said 1

8 hours ago, Duke of Inverness said:

I’m nervous about the number of loans. However, Scott Young said at the Fans Meeting that there were clauses in some of the deals relating to what would happen depending on the number of appearances, with the implication that some of them may become permanent.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating but, from what I’ve seen so far, Kerr and Samuel are assets and I see potential in the young central defenders and McAllister.

We’ve had an incredible player turnover. Only four starters on Saturday played at Hampden in June.

• Like 2

Does anyone really believe if we never took loans or short deals this season (including Wotherspoon) we would actually get points persevering with start of season the Dodds squad?

Edited by bdu98196
  • Like 1
  • Well Said 1

Let's face it this is a survival season. The worry is that our season is being based on finance management. But that's due to at least a couple of years of financial mismanagement!! The display of our finances will also be well managed and will pose more Questions than answers but at least that gives us another non-football thread to enjoy. And maybe Dunc is another planned distraction and has been cleverly brought in for the short term only. My view is that he is trying to play lower English league type football and that does not suit many of our players - e.g Carson - but will be bread and butter to the majority of the loan signings.

• Like 2

Loans in general are good, and if you get the right areas filled with the right qualities then everybody's happy. 

Not finding a suitable replacement of wotherspoons class is the glaring deficiency. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Satan said:

Not finding a suitable replacement of wotherspoons class is the glaring deficiency. 

Based on our finances, location and being January who do you suggest was available to meet that criteria which we missed?

32 minutes ago, RedCard said:

We don't need to sign anyone to replace Spoony, we have Roddy MacGregor who isn't being given much of chance by Ferguson which baffles me.

His ankles are made of poppadoms, needs to toughen up a bit otherwise he'll just go straight back to the broken pile. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Based on our finances, location and being January who do you suggest was available to meet that criteria which we missed?

I'm afraid I can't give you a name, then again I couldn't have named half the central defenders we loaned in.

Finances,location & time of year didn't disrupt their signings.

I haven't heard of anyone that we were looking at but turned us down,so can only assume the man in charge is happy with his dealings. 🤔

19 hours ago, Satan said:

Loans in general are good, and if you get the right areas filled with the right qualities then everybody's happy.

I've always assumed that that was partly why Big Dunc was brought in - for his knowledge of and contacts in English football.  Possibly easier to get inexpensive or loan players from there than from the Central Belt of Scotland.

Let's face it - he wasn't hired on the basis of his managerial record!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

I've always assumed that that was partly why Big Dunc was brought in - for his knowledge of and contacts in English football.  Possibly easier to get inexpensive or loan players from there than from the Central Belt of Scotland.

Let's face it - he wasn't hired on the basis of his managerial record!

I think he was brought in because the board were starstruck!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Thats the thing though, we got spoony on the back of being crocked and no club for months and wrong side of 30. All in it was a gamble and he could have flopped like Sheridan.

Not sure we have the money to throw at more perma-crocks just to keep physios busy.

On 2/17/2024 at 1:11 PM, Satan said:

His ankles are made of poppadoms, needs to toughen up a bit otherwise he'll just go straight back to the broken pile. 

MacGregor now has a foot injury and is unlikely to be in the squad for tomorrow. 

• Funny 1
  • Sad 2