FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Mike Smith

Is it his job to get people to sit down at the stadium? :steward:

Yep, bums on seats, thats it :moon2:

And to raise the morale of the home fans :party01:

And sort out the car parking :steward: :driving01:

defermation of character/slander???  :018:

nothing defamatory or slanderous has been said here. sarcastic perhaps but not defamatory or slanderous.

As with all threads regarding "individuals" we will keep an eye on this and take appropriate action if it does go too far. Mr Smith is also a registered user of the website so has the facility to complain if he himself feels the comments have gone too far.

Guest mailer1234

Definitions of 'slander' - 3 definitions - WordNet 

slander (n.) words falsely spoken that damage the reputation of another

slander (n.) an abusive attack on a person's character or good name

slander (v.) charge falsely or with malicious intent : attack the good name and reputation of someone

definetely something that has been done in previous threads regarding this person!

A false DEFEMATION (expressed in spoken words, signs, or gestures) which injures the character or reputation of the person defamed;

It is important to note that slander and libel do not exist in Scottish law, it is all covered under 'defamation of character' so your definitions count for little here.

To my mind nothing has been said here (or in other threads recently) which cannot be backed up by facts.  i.e.  Calling someone an idiot is not defamation if you can provide evidence to support it.

Is it his job to get people to sit down at the stadium? :steward:

Yep, bums on seats, thats it :moon2:

And to raise the morale of the home fans :party01:

And sort out the car parking :steward: :driving01:

If these items are indeed on his job description, what has he actually achieved ?

What do we expect from a guy who has absolutely no interest in the game?  He doesn't even watch when he is at the stadium on match days.

When he was appointed he said...

"My priority will be the business side of things, leaving the football operation to director of football Graeme Bennett and the football management staff."

Therein lies the problem.  He is a glorified accountant who seems to have been tasked with keeping the bank book in order and is out of his depth when it comes to dealing with anything else.  He hasn't the first clue when it comes to knowing anything about the fans, their wants/needs or expectations but finds himself having to deal with these things on a regular basis - either because it is part of his job description or because the club have failed to appoint a suitable person to deal with these things and he is trying to fill the gap.

My concerns are twofold.  Firstly a person in his position at any club should have the skills necessary to be able to step in a deal effectively with just about any of the clubs operations in an effective manner, and secondly, the club are allowing a person who has demonstrated time and again that he isn't the man for this roll to continue making the same mistakes time and again.

In Summary.....What is his job? - I would imagine it is the same as the Chief Executive of any club/company.  He is there to oversee ALL club operations.  As in any company he is the man with which the Buck Stops in regard to day to day operations (and that includes Match Days).

If that is not his Job Description then I too would like to know what it is he brings to ICTFC to justify his 6-Figure (or very close too) salary.

Definitions of 'slander' - 3 definitions - WordNet 

slander (n.) words falsely spoken that damage the reputation of another

slander (n.) an abusive attack on a person's character or good name

slander (v.) charge falsely or with malicious intent : attack the good name and reputation of someone

definetely something that has been done in previous threads regarding this person! A false DEFEMATION (expressed in spoken words, signs, or gestures) which injures the character or reputation of the person defamed;

mailer1234 - whilst it is noble of you to support Mr Smith, the simple truth of the matter is that I can see no defamation (note correct spelling) in this thread. Previous threads are inconsequential as you are complaining about this one.

Although we could argue the semantics of whether the correct term is slander/libel/defamation lets not bother as what you are talking about is the same regardless of its heading.

definition 1: words falsely spoken that damage the reputation of another

definition 2: an abusive attack on a person's character or good name

definition 3: charge falsely or with malicious intent

definition 4: attack the good name and reputation of someone

The initial question was "What exactly does he do ?  What has he achieved since starting ?  I am serious as I dont know." ... thats right a QUESTION. no falsely spoken words, abuse, attacks or false charges simply a question.

The second response would appear to be an opinion of where a poster has experienced his influence. It is widely publicised that he was one of those in charge during the Dunfermline game where fans were allegedly targeted by stewards because of orders "from upstairs". He has also been seen on occasion trying to help ease traffic congestion in the car park. The response was sarcastic perhaps, but not defamatory. I could add a few other incidents but I wont, instead I will try to keep this response in the context of this particular thread.

The third response is also an opinion, and lets be honest here, one that is held by a lot of fans. I am sure Mr Smith works hard at what he does and maybe those who work behind the scenes at the stadium see more evidence of that than we - the great uninformed - do but to the majority of long term fans of this club he is invisible until a problem occurs and then is usually tagged with the blame for that problem.

As the top executive at the club, the buck stops with him and although he may be blamed unfairly at times (?) he has done nothing to promote any of his achievements to the fans either on here when the site was official or on the new official site (despite suggestions/offers that were made to him to do just that). I personally have no idea of what he has achieved at the club even though I have sat down and had reasonably pleasant conversations with him on numerous occasions.

Finally ... As I said above, we will indeed monitor this and any other threads that pertain to named individuals and remove anything that we deem to be defamatory. We are not obligated to do this (please read the terms and conditions), but have routinely done this over the last 13 years the site has been in existence because we are - for the most part - very responsible in what we allow/disallow. The onus is on the poster to be responsible for the content of their postings and for any "injured parties" to use one of the complaints mechanisms - of which there are several - to highlight to site admin anything that concerns them. As Mr Smith is a registered site user, this is well within his capabilities.

[edited to remove incorrect 'match commander' reference as pointed out by LG. couple of other small edits too]

Scotty, Can I make a small correction to your statement.  Mike Smith was Safety Officer for the Dunfermline game in John Sutherland's absence, the job of match commander goes to the police and on that day was Insp Cox.  I made the same mistake myself re: the titles and I was asked to correct it, so just passing on the info as I got it.

Oh and by the way - good response.

Scotty, Can I make a small correction to your statement.  Mike Smith was Safety Officer for the Dunfermline game in John Sutherland's absence, the job of match commander goes to the police and on that day was Insp Cox.  I made the same mistake myself re: the titles and I was asked to correct it, so just passing on the info as I got it. Oh and by the way - good response.

Thanks L_G - I stand corrected  :004:

There is nothing in this thread that is capable of amounting to defamation, at least not yet.

For myself it's very difficult to form an opinion on Mr Smith as he adopts such a low profile. However, it seems to me that when he does on occasion raise his head above the parapet his contribution is almost always negative and unhelpful.

There is nothing in this thread that is capable of amounting to defamation, at least not yet.

and there speaks our unofficial counsel  :004:

So at least this thread explains why the car park is such a nightmare to get out of  :015:

Still don't know what he actually DOES apart from annoy everybody  :008:

And my bum won't be anywhere near a seat until he's left the club or at the very least apologised humbly to everyone he insulted the day he was "safety officer"  :008: :008: :008:

I suspect that the mailer erse may well be Mike Smith. The prosecution rests..and sits down.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

nope - he is registered on here but that user is not him.

So .. Mr or Mrs Anonymous has provided a smoke screen. I am pissed off with Mike Smith but if he is taking ICT forward then that is enuff fer me to forgive and forget. So ONCE AGAIN I ask:

What is his role?

What is he actively doing to help ICT ?

What has he achieved so far ?