Guest TinCanFan

Should Hastings take free-kicks?  

20 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

Guest TinCanFan

It says in todays courier that Richard Hastings wants to take the freekicks next season.  I reckon we should let him because he has a fair good shot on him.

Rankin for me - scored a few beauties last season. nothing wrong with letting Black or Hastings take the odd one though - mix it up a bit and both can hit it pretty sweet.

From stv.sport......

Inverness left-back Richard Hastings expects his return to favour with Canada to have a positive impact on his club form.

The 30-year-old Caley Thistle defender played five internationals for Canada over the summer and had only two weeks off due to his involvement in the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

He said: "It's a great lift to get my place back in the Canadian team and play in every game, so it gives me confidence for the new SPL season."

Hastings, who joined Inverness in 1995 and has spent all bar three seasons since then at the Highlands club, is now back with his Caley team-mates.

Their first match in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League is at home against title hopefuls Rangers on August 4.

Let's hope the fact he's only had 2 weeks off doesn't catch up with him

Back in the old Telford Street days, Hastings scored some crackers from free kicks.

He had scored a total of 2 goals prior to the one last season (both in 95/96). I remember one was an absolute peach of a free-kick. Cant remember if the other was a FK or from open play.

Oh let him take some free kicks, as long as he lets others take his crosses.

Without going back through all the match reports I'm pretty certain Hastings crosses contributed to a few goals last season, especially early on when he was getting further forward.

Personally I'm more concerned with who wehave taking the corners.  We've never had anyone who's proved consistant in that department since the departure of the ginger one.

Guest TinCanFan

Back in the old Telford Street days, Hastings scored some crackers from free kicks.

He had scored a total of 2 goals prior to the one last season (both in 95/96). I remember one was an absolute peach of a free-kick. Cant remember if the other was a FK or from open play.

He actually scored the first goal at Caley Stadium.  I don't how he scored it though.

dont see a problem with him taking free kicks aslong as rankin has first refusal

I'm with Clacher on this one, Rankin should have priority, if he doesnt fancy it or doesnt like the angles etc then someone else like Hastings or Hart or Black or Wilson can argue between themselves for it.

He actually scored the first goal at Caley Stadium.  I don't how he scored it though.

I think you are talking bollox. (unless of course you can prove me wrong ...........)

Iain Stewart scored the first (competitive) ICT goal at the Caledonian Stadium against Albion Rovers, although Dave McKenzie actually scored the first official one ever when he scored for Rovers 4 minutes earlier.

There WAS one friendly match played at the stadium prior to that on Wednesday 6th Nov 1996 (and it was a bloody cold night - I remember, because I was there), but these dont count in official stats. However, thanks to Ian Broadfoot's excellent records, I can confirm that Scotty McLean scored 4 that night with Iain Stewart and Paul Cherry bagging one each in a 6-2 win over a Highland League select.

----- match report from first competitive game at Caledonian Stadium -----

SATURDAY 9TH NOVEMBER 1996

CALEDONIAN STADIUM, INVERNESS

BELLS SCOTTISH LEAGUE THIRD DIVISION

INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE  1 (Stewart  74)

ALBION ROVERS  1 (McKenzie  70)

INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE - Calder, Teasdale, Hastings, MacArthur, Noble,

Ross (Tokely 86), Wilson, Stewart, Thomson, Christie (Bennett 86), MacLean Sub - Hercher

ALBION ROVERS - Duncan, Byrne, McGowan, Brown, Martin, McKilligan, Clark, Dickson,

Watters (Reilly 65), Moore, McKenzie (McNally 83) Sub - McGuire.

REFEREE - J Underhill (Edinburgh) ATTENDANCE - 3734

BOOKINGS - Martin, Watters, Moore & Reilly (Albion Rovers)

REPORT - An historic day for Inverness with the official opening of Caledonian Stadium by Provost Allan Sellar.  The game did not quite live up to the occasion but the large crowd did see plenty of action and two goals.  The home side had most of the game but failed to capitalise due to poor finishing and good goalkeeping by Cammie Duncan. It was Albion who took the lead in the 70th minute against the run of play when Dave McKenzie slid home after a John Dickson cross.  Four minutes later Iain Stewart touched in the equaliser after the Albion defence failed to clear a Brian Thomson corner.  The Inverness side pressed for a winner but had to be content with a draw.

Hastings' 2 goals prior to the 2006/07 season came in the following games:

Goal1: 14th October 1995 V Cowdenbeath (2nd goal in a 3-2 home CT win) - direct free kick - also got MOTM

Goal2: 4th November 1995 V Arbroath (1st goal in a 5-1 home CT win). - curling shot into right hand corner from 18 yards

Guest TinCanFan

Your probably right but I'm sure that I read somewhere that he was the first to score at Caley Stadium but it could of been wrong.

ok - maybe 'talking bollox' was a bit strong  :004: but practice matches and friendlies never count when it comes to stats .... the first official goal at the stadium was scored by Dave McKenzie and the first CT goal by Iain Stewart.

lets agree that the following is true

First Goal (practice match) - Richard Hastings (27 July 1996)

First Goal (friendly) - Norman Kellas (Highland League Select) / Scott McLean (CT) (6th November 1996)

First Goal (competitive) - Dave McKenzie (Albion Rovers) / Iain Stewart (CT) (9th November 1996)

Guest TinCanFan

I must have seen Hastings name on the website and subconsiously thought he was the first to score a proper goal at Caley Stadium.  So :32: fo me.

Guest TinCanFan

It's one of those types of questions that smart erse quizmasters throw in that ultimately leads to a punch up over a £5 book token  :015:

:rotflmao: :015: :rotflmao:

Well in actual fact i was the first person to put a ball into the net at TCS (Or Caledonain stadium) they had an open day to meet the players etc, remember?

well a certain Mr cummings had a ball which i put into the net as tommy was organising putting the goal posts up etc...

:blah01:

Guest TinCanFan

Well Done Caley100!  :crazy07:  Why don't we try letting Michael Fraser take the free-kicks?  It worked for Chilavert the old Paraguay keeper and because MF can't kick very high why don't we let him to it or in the friendlies at least.