FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Is Barrowman our worst ever signing?

cal234ey

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its very subjective but I would have to go with Gary Farquhar as the worst. Touted as a top player to help us move up the divisions, his alleged personal issues saw him out of the team quicker than you could blink ..... Bradshaw was another who screwed it up for himself .... looked like a good centre half in his few outings but if the stories are right he didnt like training full time so decided to jack it in .... bizarre.

As for Niculae - I dont agree that the problems stemmed from his signing. His signing (and departure) may have brought some simmering problems to the surface, or highlighted our ineptitude in terms of the world game, but most of those problems were already there ... or arrived 3 games into the season !!! Whether he was worth the money he cost us (and may still cost us) is another debate but any behind the scenes problems at ICT are not and were not his fault.

Barrowman - It was a mistake to pin all our hopes on him and to go after him so hard that he got an (alleged) sweet deal ... but he still has a couple of years to show us the faith shown in him by Brewster was merited.

no i dont think he is. he came on the back of a good season (albeit in the 2nd div) but that has obviously lead to people believing that he will score the goals.

when dargo arrived i bet many didnt think he would turn into the success he did.

if we play around barrowman and give im the chance he deserves then he could prove to be a good signing. i think if he is given a chance next season and he doesnt produce then he obviously hasnt been a successful investment.

he needs a strike partner, possibly wood to challenge for the high balls so barrowman can get in and around the drop balls

I don't really remember Darren Mackie having any good games while he was on loan in 2004 and in a way he was a high profile player at the time.

And i disagree, Liam Fox was good player. But for some reason he was a GREAT player when he came of the bench. He rescued some vital points for us with his cameos and that lob over Derek Stillie against Dundee Utd in 2005 was class.

Guest Muir-Jaggie

Barrowman has already had a chance in the SPL with killie and fecked up big time. He left Walsall to go to them (Walsall a League 1 team) and then arrived at county after a few seasons (who were in the 2nd division). He scored 29 goals or something like that and brewster signed him thinking he would make a difference in the SPL and has he NO!!!!

John Rankin was absolutly dire for his first season with us. You could count his good games on one hand. He's only fondly remembered because he had a purple patch just before he left.

I would have said the exact opposite to that.... I thought he started off well and gradually went downhill.

Maybe we can blame Brewster for that of course.

Barrowman has already had a chance in the SPL with killie and fecked up big time. He left Walsall to go to them (Walsall a League 1 team) and then arrived at county after a few seasons (who were in the 2nd division). He scored 29 goals or something like that and brewster signed him thinking he would make a difference in the SPL and has he NO!!!!

:rotflmao:

Andy Barrowman

Kilmarnock From: 26-07-2006 To: 01-08-2007 Fee:Free Apps: 0 (3)

wow, 3 subs appearances for Killie, hardly classed as a chance with killie!

i think its grossly unfair to write a player off after a mere 13 league starts for our club!!

Edited by Libero

I feel a bit sorry for Barrowman. We have been pish this season and he is making a step up. Hardly the best basis to build up confidence and come to terms with playing at a higher level. We don't have any experienced forwards who could 'bring him on'. Perhaps he will use the experience he has gained this season to make more of an impression in the future.

I feel a bit sorry for Barrowman. We have been pish this season and he is making a step up. Hardly the best basis to build up confidence and come to terms with playing at a higher level. We don't have any experienced forwards who could 'bring him on'. Perhaps he will use the experience he has gained this season to make more of an impression in the future.

totally agree, yeah i hope his experience this year will have aided him and a full pre-season with the team will help him realise his potential

John Rankin was absolutly dire for his first season with us. You could count his good games on one hand. He's only fondly remembered because he had a purple patch just before he left.

I would have said the exact opposite to that.... I thought he started off well and gradually went downhill.

Maybe we can blame Brewster for that of course.

Much agreed with Johnboy.

Rankin got motm on his league debut for ICT and he throughly deserved it. He was a great player after he got his first 2 goals and never really looked back after that. He did go a bit down hill after about January time and it got worse after he was dropped by Brewster when he returned. But after Rankin was reinstated it was really annoying to see him leave as Brewster had been messing with his head saying he could go then stay.

Guest Muir-Jaggie

Andy Barrowman

i think its grossly unfair to write a player off after a mere 13 league starts for our club!!

I have to say it would have being hard to get in the Killie team if they had Boyd, Dargo, Nish and Naismith at that time

Andy Barrowman

I have to say it would have being hard to get in the Killie team if they had Boyd, Dargo, Nish and Naismith at that time

They seem to be struggling without those guys terribly. Before they left Killie were in immense form and since they all left Kille have fallen down the table greatly.

In answer to your question, no he's not.

Its been a lean season for him but thats not a great surprise, "da bomb" long\high ball tactics we have employed this season have not suited his style. He needs it at his feet around the six yard box this also goes for Rooney. We simply don't have the wide men attacking the goal line and providing the crosses and cut backs these guys need to score. With the punted dross provided by the likes of LDZ its never going to happen for them.

Vettle Anderson, used to pass across our goal mouth.

Darren Mackie, would put in all the hard work then put in a curving shot directly at the keeper.

McSweegan, cant remember what he did which speaks volumes.

Barrowman had a good game alongside Morais against Partick, I would imagine all the other fans that turned up that night to sit in the pi**ing rain for 90 minutes would agree too.

He's far from our worst ever signing, but from what I've seen, he's not the sort of player our team needs at the moment. I'm guessing he functions best as a "lurking" centre forward who will score the majority of his goals from cut-backs from the bye-line or loose balls around the box created as a result of consistent pressure: he got his only league goal in open play for us as a result of a ball put across the box from a wide position, after all.

For most of the season we've either played on the counter attack or played long ball pish. Neither seems to suit Barrowman: he doesn't have enough pace to lead the line as a counter-attacking player and doesn't appear particularly comfortable winning the ball from long punts. I've been furious about his work rate at various times this season (especially Tynecastle around September/October) but when I saw him most recently, at home against St Mirren, I thought he tried really hard, and it still didn't come off for him: he was never up with the play when we got into their box. Maybe with a good ball winning forward (Foran?) alongside him and two quick players (Imrie and Morais?) getting properly wide, he could start scoring, but I have my doubts. I suspect we'd be better off shot of him, but given his wages it's unlikely to happen, and hopefully he'll prove us wrong next season.

Guest Muir-Jaggie

I'm guessing he functions best as a "lurking" centre forward who will score the majority of his goals from cut-backs from the bye-line or loose balls around the box created as a result of consistent pressure

Just like Kris Boyd then

Regrettably that will be a very expensive 2 years. And I agree with Caley D's comment above.

If Mr Barrowman needs the ball to be played to him in a role as a poacher and the chances of his being successful in that role this season are remote what is the point of retaining him in the team?

Sorry but we need a player up front in his position who is willing to work for the ball in stead of waiting for it to be played to his feet. And that means that he will have to get back to forage which is a pipedream.

What we need is for our defenders and midfielders to get back to playing football. Being able to hold the ball and play it. Not just players with pace but playing with pace. Using the wings. Accurate passing. Running into space. Creating space for others. Be confident to look around them and see whats going on instead of panicking when the ball comes to them. Get all that right and the Barrowmans will score goals.

We need to grab games and control them.

What we need is for our defenders and midfielders to get back to playing football. Being able to hold the ball and play it. Not just players with pace but playing with pace. Using the wings. Accurate passing. Running into space. Creating space for others. Be confident to look around them and see whats going on instead of panicking when the ball comes to them. Get all that right and the Barrowmans will score goals.

We need to grab games and control them.

Could not agree more!

How often on Saturday Alex, did our left back collect the ball, run it out of defence and start shouting for players to go onto the wing to give him options.

If they are not on the wing for him, they are not on the wing to cross the ball and therein is the problem.

Scoring goals through the middle is difficult - defence facing the ball, favourites, the forwards having to gather and turn, difficult.

Ball crossed from byeline, forwards facing goal and the defenders now have to collect and turn, roles reversed.

We appear to be relaying on our two backs to get up the field and cross the ball and it goes without saying that they will cross it from nearer the centre line than the bye line, to return to their positions and this therefore leaves the defenders in prime position to clear it.

We need a 'beat your man' winger - now if I remember correctly we had one of those.

Some of the best 'attack from the back' memories from past seasons have been down the right with Rossco and Dods at the back and Wilson with Hart inside him. Loads of control, loads of overlap, playing the width of the pitch then a good cross in and Dargo or Wyness on the end of it.

Get that sort of plays going again and Barrowman could easily be the new Dargo.

Edited by Alex MacLeod
added a bit

He's far from our worst ever signing, but from what I've seen, he's not the sort of player our team needs at the moment. I'm guessing he functions best as a "lurking" centre forward who will score the majority of his goals from cut-backs from the bye-line or loose balls around the box created as a result of consistent pressure: he got his only league goal in open play for us as a result of a ball put across the box from a wide position, after all.

For most of the season we've either played on the counter attack or played long ball pish. Neither seems to suit Barrowman: he doesn't have enough pace to lead the line as a counter-attacking player and doesn't appear particularly comfortable winning the ball from long punts. I've been furious about his work rate at various times this season (especially Tynecastle around September/October) but when I saw him most recently, at home against St Mirren, I thought he tried really hard, and it still didn't come off for him: he was never up with the play when we got into their box. Maybe with a good ball winning forward (Foran?) alongside him and two quick players (Imrie and Morais?) getting properly wide, he could start scoring, but I have my doubts. I suspect we'd be better off shot of him, but given his wages it's unlikely to happen, and hopefully he'll prove us wrong next season.

Bold signifies gross understatement.

The first of these is about pace. He's not just slow but he refuses to run channels and put pressure on defenders. This is an essential requirement for almost any SPL striker. Even the Old Firm refuse to carry penalty-box lurkers in big games. The out-and-out striker is dying breed.

The second point concerns Barrowman in the air. He's unbelievably crap in the air. He doesn't even challenge for the long balls and never looks a threat a set-pieces. The guy must be at least six feet tall. I cannot understand how a striker of that size has developed in British football without learning or at least trying to be a threat in the air.

Understatement number three is the use of the word 'furious' to describe your response to his work-rate at Tynie in September. Surely something stronger is needed to describe the 5 hour rant that followed that game.

I really hope he proves me completely wrong by scoring a hat-trick tomorrow.

Agree with most points on here but suprised some say he has been lazy because last season with us he would chase down every ball and worked really hard. I think he just doesn't fit into your style of play and formation as last season we would play 4-4-2/4-3-3 most games with the ball on the deck alot and alot of attacking play. I know it was Division 2 but I still think he could cut it in the SPL with the right players around him and formation.

Rumoured to be coming back to us in the summer but I doubt he would be in a hurry to get out of a 3 year contract on 2k p/w anytime soon...

This thread is a real shame, discussing(?) a striker who's confidence is shot. I hope he doesn't see it. Having said that, he shouldn't be put in a position of reinforcing the perception that he's crap week in week out. Send him and Grantie on holiday.

ICT fans - you have no crap signings beside that of my other "soft spot" side (Dundee United) Walter Rojas. Nuff said :rotflmao:

Interesting that Darran Thomson got a mention for getting us to Hampden to make us a few bob, and Foxy got a couple of mentions too.

My biggest memory of Foxy is when he missed a chance to make it 3-1 against P*rt*ck when he was through one on one. Minutes later P*rt*ck got a last minute penalty then put us out in the replay. If Foxy had scored we could have gone on to make a few bob in the cup or even win it. In the next round the Maryhill soapdodgers went out narrowly to the eventual winners Hearts. With the OF both out, Gretna even made the final.