FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

County win again

PaderbornCaley

Seven wins in a row and now 6 points clear. I'm certainly in the camp of it would be good for the Highlands to have 2 SPL teams. Of course we get the Highland derbies back, and extra income from the attendances, as well as the excitement of the derby, but It occured to me the other day though, that there is one other massive benefit.

We will have another ally in the fight against a 10 team SPL. If two teams are needed to block it, then with other Chairmen started to stutter, then ourselves and County could be key IF everything goes to plan for us and them until the end of the season.

Years ago, Highland teams were blocked from joining the SFL, and even when we joined, there were many lowlanders not happy to travel 'such long distances'. How fitting would it be, that in a years time, it could be 2 Highland teams that dictate the whole structure of the league. That really would be 2 fingers to all the prejudiced ones who don't want us there!

• Agree 17
  • Disagree 1

Of course it would be the correct thing to have both ICT and County fighting it out together in the SPL for a multitude of reasons.

However, how far away is such a reality?

Much better odds of ICT climbing up the table clear of relegation than County maintaining their heady heights into the New Year.

• Disagree 2

I hope County keep winning, as long as ICT do! Having two Highland teams in the SPL would be great (and infuriate those pesky central belters!). I don't think having ICT go down and County coming up would be good for neither team, league or region though.

• Agree 1

Once we get our act together we're staying up. I already predicted C(o)unty's annual April collapse but I have to admit with the experienced squad they have they're starting to look the real deal, especially since none of the others look anything special this year.

START widening the A9. Chances are it's going to be seeing twice as much SPL traffic going up it next season.

The Southerners are already dreading what seems the likely scenario. Imagine all the drivel clubs would come out with having to travel to the deepest depths of the dark Highlands 4-6 times a year, I for one would love it.... as long as they don't ever finish above Inverness.

Edited by martinskye
  • Agree 2

Years ago, Highland teams were blocked from joining the SFL, and even when we joined, there were many lowlanders not happy to travel 'such long distances'. How fitting would it be, that in a years time, it could be 2 Highland teams that dictate the whole structure of the league. That really would be 2 fingers to all the prejudiced ones who don't want us there!

To be fair, living down here I get more people interested in ICT and our setup than moaning about the travelling, just remember recently when all the Jambos were saying how it was their favourite away trip.

OK nobody relishes a midweek trip up the A9 any more than we enjoy going down but it doesn't help to get too paranoid unless you're trying to get a Fergie thing going, that everybody's against us. Lets not confuse what the fans think with the business of running a club.

My take on it is: back in the 70s and 80s before ICT got in, the wee clubs voted out of self interest. Any club chairman, say East Stirling, is going to vote for Ferranti Thistle rather than Inverness Thistle when he looks at the cost of running a coach. The fans would enjoy the trip but when did the opinion of the fans ever count?

In 1994, the Premier clubs got 4 votes, the Div 1 clubs got 2 and the Div 2 clubs got 1. That's how we got in. The big clubs didn't care about things like hiring a coach, and they probably never thought they'd have to play us anyway.

Was listening to open all mics yesterday and you could hear the horror in the voices at the thought of having 2 highland teams in the spl. Youd think it was the north pole they were having to travel to! Big crowd at Dingwall too not sure if that is good for us either.

I can't say I detected too much horror in the bit of Open All Mics that I heard OCG but I wasn't across it all afternoon. What I did hear was pushing on towards half past five whilst on my way back from Dingwall and Chic was speaking what I thought was very positively about the possibility of two Highland teams in the SPL.

But there will indeed be those who will already be wringing their hands in despair at the thought since of course we all know that it's FAR further from the Central Belt up to Dingwall/Inverness than it is in the opposite direction.

I must say that I was very impressed by County yesterday - they really look the business and I hadn't seen them for a few weeks since the fixtures are so badly arranged this season with both teams either at home ro away far too often. On the other hand I didn't quite see the entire game since there were times when I was seriously distracted by Steven Pressley's astonishing dress sense which kept reminding me of Dr Who.

If these were his working clothes, what on earth does he wear on a night out? :laugh:

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

If it happens and I hope it does and the penultimate game of the 2012-2013 season is Ross County v ICT may I apply to take part in and organise the Highland March - I would suggest Maryburgh on the Saturday - Conon Bridge on the Sunday - Muir of Ord on the Monday - Beauly on the Tuesday - Kiltarlity on the Wednesday - camping out in TB's garden on the Thursday - a booze cruise from Lochend to Dores on the Friday and in to Sneck on the Saturday,

If it happens and I hope it does and the penultimate game of the 2012-2013 season is Ross County v ICT may I apply to take part in and organise the Highland March - I would suggest Maryburgh on the Saturday - Conon Bridge on the Sunday - Muir of Ord on the Monday - Beauly on the Tuesday - Kiltarlity on the Wednesday - camping out in TB's garden on the Thursday - a booze cruise from Lochend to Dores on the Friday and in to Sneck on the Saturday,

If it aint the penultimate game, then we'll do it anyway... as a 'training' march. I reckon it's nearly the same distance as our Aldershot pub crawl! :laugh:

I'd like to see county in the SPL. I would miss the terracing though. I get the impression that a lot of county fans are not too bothered about promotion - unless it's us who are being relegated. Anyone else sense this? It's pretty obvious that they were going to set out to buy the league this year though. Bringing in SPL standard, experienced professionals like Fraser, Munro and Duncan was always going to be a huge boost. I think county will win the league and st midden will drop. Fingers crossed. :wink:

Edited by Top Six Next Year

Was listening to open all mics yesterday and you could hear the horror in the voices at the thought of having 2 highland teams in the spl. Youd think it was the north pole they were having to travel to! Big crowd at Dingwall too not sure if that is good for us either.

I can't say I detected too much horror in the bit of Open All Mics that I heard OCG but I wasn't across it all afternoon. What I did hear was pushing on towards half past five whilst on my way back from Dingwall and Chic was speaking what I thought was very positively about the possibility of two Highland teams in the SPL.

But there will indeed be those who will already be wringing their hands in despair at the thought since of course we all know that it's FAR further from the Central Belt up to Dingwall/Inverness than it is in the opposite direction.

I must say that I was very impressed by County yesterday - they really look the business and I hadn't seen them for a few weeks since the fixtures are so badly arranged this season with both teams either at home ro away far too often. On the other hand I didn't quite see the entire game since there were times when I was seriously distracted by Steven Pressley's astonishing dress sense which kept reminding me of Dr Who.

If these were his working clothes, what on earth does he wear on a night out? :laugh:

Wasnt listening that late Charles. It was much earlier on that I meant. Good to hear that some of the pundits would see this as a positive thing tho.

Of course it would be good for the Highlands if we had two representatives in the SPL, even if the other one is County.

As a bit of an aside, when I was a lad in Inverness watching Caley, Ross County were never hated as they are today. It was Elgin who were always seen as the 'bad guys', probably because they were usually our main rivals for honours. I imagine this County thing only developed when they got into the Scottish league under their own steam, and we had to merge with Thistle. But that's another bag of worms best not reopened.

So back to present day, I think it would only be good for ICT to have County along side us in the SPL. And better days financially for both clubs with probably near full houses at all the derbies.

Looking at Division 1 currently, it is only County who have never played in the top division of Scottish football, in my memory. And its certainly a division which would be hard for us to get out of if we were to be relegated again. So far better for County to be up with us than the other way round.