Defensively solid.

Guest Mahonio

Guest Mahonio

So, today was our first 2 goals conceded in this Premiership season, i was wondering, is this due to Dean Brill and our back 4 or other teams Strikers mis-firing?

I mean, its the same defence as last season but with a different goalie so my gut instinct is, its due to Dean that we are losing less goals but in pre-season, we did concede some but can't remember if Dean was involved when we lost the goals.

What do you guys reckon?

Edited by Mahonio

I have been impressed with Deano especially in the air but he was slow in getting down for the second and was nearly caught delaying in clearing the ball. He takes some risks with the ball at his feet but looks as if he organises his defence well.

Pass marks so far for all in our defence!

I think half of the reason is down to luck, good defending and good saves by Deano. In pre season Esson was injured for nearly all of it so he played more less all the games. The only goals he has conceded are to Raith (two goals), Arbroath (one), Clach (not sure if he played but if so, one) and today at Celtic two goals. So he has only conceded 5 maybe 6 goals (correct me if im wrong) with 2 goals in the league and 4 pre season which is pretty amazing considering how many goals our neighbours from over the bridge have conceded so far in only 4 league games. Almost every team have conceded more goals in the league already than Dean Brill has conceded for ICT, including pre season, that is unbelievable!

I think Warren and Meekings are used to playing together henceforth and that their pair is therefore more efficient. In addition, Raven et Shinnie, who were already very good last season, are well helped by the midfielders. And Brill is a great goalkeepper.

Have to confess that I was impressed by Brill today - he is very good with his handling and he does look like an imposing figure. But he probably has the most consistent and reliable back four in the country in front of him. And feck me did we need them yesterday.

Meekings and Warren were stand outs yesterday, both reading the game very well and getting across to cut out any danger, both outstanding in dominating second balls and clearing crosses. Meekings has improved so much in just a short time. Shinnie barely put a foot wrong yesterday and played a big part in lessening any threat from that left side. Raven was up against it against Matthews and did what he could but he looks a better right back getting forward but there was little chance in that for him, I don't think anyone else in the team could have coped any better yeterday in that position. Brill looks a good addition and going by this performance could be hard for Esson to shift. So we are solid and also still improving.

Brill was the standout for me. Parkhead can be a daunting place for players not used to such an atmosphere but i thought he did so well, he made some cracking saves and he handled some set pieces with ease, dont forget he took a knock in that challenge with Balde so that may have affected his mobility when it came to the 2nd goal, in all honesty i thought it was just a good strike for Matthews.