FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Hastings to Toronto FC ??

Scotty

I agree it would be disastrous to lose him, has been player of the year for me.

scotty - are you registered on that site? tell those numpties they're talking mince! cant attack? cant be the same Hastings, he looks menacing every time he steams down the wing!

Dickie has improved since he read my posts slagging him..however he still has moments of concentration failure, such as vs Hearts when he was caught ball watching for their goal.

If he went there would be some buying spree from CC to replace Dods and him, and cover for Rossco(which we need)

'he looks menacing every time he steams down the wing!'

Only when he doesnt blooter the ball over the stand.

Hastings has played his best football for ICT (in both spells with us - even though some have short memories regarding his first stint)

He seemed to have ideas above himself which led to him going to C*unty when he left previously  :017:, and even when he moved on from there he never seemed to settle.  He came back to us and after sporadic appearances got his chance and has never looked back.  He's been consistently solid for us and it would be hard for ANY left back in the SPL to displace him this season.

How much of his success is down to being settled here and suited to the ICT setup and how much is down to his own ability is for Hastings to decide at the end of the day.  Personally I think it's fair share of all factors which will make it tough for Hastings to just up sticks and go to Toronto (or anywhere else).

Once bitten, twice shy?  Only time will tell.

On a slight tangent, I can't help but feel that he has been touted as a target for Toronto FC (partly) for PR reasons.  Canadian playing for a Canadian team and all that.  We all know that we like to see Scottish lads wearing the ICT shirt and their could be an element of that there, especially with Toronto trying to get themselves established and build a fanbase.  He doesn't seem to be highly thought of by the Toronto fans posting on that forum, and that may just be enough to have them looking elsewhere.

Who Knows?

I bet it was Scotty who started the rumour!  :008: :015:

Not guilty  :015: :015:

On a slight tangent, I can't help but feel that he has been touted as a target for Toronto FC (partly) for PR reasons.  Canadian playing for a Canadian team and all that.

The newsfeed that the Toronto guy quoted came from the UK Daily express - its not in the papers here (yet).

I am not sure of the exact rules as they are pretty complicated but bottom line is that Toronto have to have a certain number of Canadians in their team/squad and a decent player who is Canadian, out of contract soon, and playing in the team manager's (Mo Johnston) home country is always going to be linked to the club.

I have two things I see as a barrier to him coming here (other than the thought of me in the stands) .... firstly, Richard was born in British Columbia which is about the same distance west of Toronto as Toronto is from Inverness so its not exactly "coming home" !!! and secondly, although he is "Canadian" we all know he is only Canadian by birth and in reality is far more Scottish/Invernessian than he is Canadian.

The biggest draw for Richard may be if he wants a final crack at getting into the Canadian International squad ? Its far more likely that a Canadian playing for Toronto will be selected than one who is playing in the SPL. The buzz about the new team is pretty big over here - partly because the team is owned by a company who also own other sports teams in the city and know how to do their marketing and also because of the whole Beckham to L.A. Galaxy and potentially making his debut in Toronto scenario.

Whatever he decides, I hope it is the right decision. I will cheer him from afar if he continues to play for ICT and I will support him from the stands if he makes Toronto his home.

OK, CB, I'll rephrase it.

Toronto FC are a brand new team in a brand new stadium in the fifth biggest city in North America.  Away games in LA, New York, Boston, Houston & Chicago rather than Motherwell, Kilmarnock & Gretna.

That would appeal to some people and perhaps Dickie Hastings.

However they seem to have a fair conceit of their MLS. What would you say the standard is like Scotty?

To be honest, no-one really knows (yet) .... Toronto last had an MLS team more than 25 years ago (the Toronto Blizzard) and many users on that site are harking back to the good old days !!!  .... A fair proportion were also Toronto Lynx fans and that is more on a par with the Highland League.

Without having seen a game, from what I hear, I think the MLS would be on a par with the SPL ..... the season starts in about 9-10 weeks so ask me again in 3-4 months and i can give you an honest answer  :004: I must admit though, I am looking forward to it ... a decent level of football in an accessible location with all the games being played either in the evening or on saturdays/sundays ...... the few times I went to see the Lynx it was a major expedition as they were based in the middle of nowhere and were not only rank rotten but also had really weird kick-off times ... like 12:45pm on a tuesday and stuff like that

This is just a feckin ploy to talk about feckin Toronto. Or I fink I have found out the reason fer the misunderstanding.

logo.jpgbanner2.jpg

Latest News

Top of the league (well almost) and most definitely having a laugh - 17/2/07

The gloom and despair, which were so much in evidence throughout a difficult first three months of the season, have long since been banished, replaced by the confident swagger befitting a side that has suffered only one defeat in seventeen league games. The desperation of home defeats to Waltham Forest and Burgess Hill Town, and the embarrassment of heavy losses away to Metropolitan Police and Chatham Town, have long since given way to that glorious sense of elation that comes from such a magnificent sequence of results, while the players and backroom staff give the distinct impression that they really are quite enjoying themselves at present, carrying an almost invincible air at times, last weekend's match at Dulwich a fine example, one of ten come-from-behind performances since the night it all began, at Whyteleafe on 21 November.

All the talk at Church Road that evening was of the potential summer signing of Evan Toronto from Maidstone. Toronto has been chased by several clubs but Hastings are the favourites to capture him. Meanwhile,United are already on their way into the top three, while goal difference is all that separates them from the outright lead, although there is still some way to go, if United are to claw back the healthy advantage shared by several of their promotion rivals in that regard.

Then only links to any truth in this story that I can come up with it that Mo Johnston and Kevin Drinkell are good mates.

The original story came off the newswires from the Daily Express as a final paragraph to another article. I havent been able to find the article online as the Scottish Express doesnt seem to have an online presence but the article itself is genuine. The content of course could very well be newspaper speculation hence the posting in the 'rumour mill'.

OK DJS! I suppose in comparison, Caley Thistle are just a fairly new club in a partly quite new, partly very new stadium in the fifth biggest city in Scotland!

Yes

I'm going to be in Boston in June primarily to watch baseball but have discovered there is a MLS game on during my visit.  Looking forward to it as the New England Revolution ( :017:) are managed by Stevie Nicol and Paul Mariner.

Interesting to note that the Highland News thinks Richard is going to change sports by signing for the Maple Leafs (Ice Hockey) as opposed to Toronto FC (football ... a.k.a. 'soccer') ........

* Christie denied that full-back Richard Hastings is set for a possible return to Canada. Reports suggested on Monday that Toronto Maple Leaf were keen to take the ICT ace back to his native country, but the club insists he will continue contract talks with director of football Graeme Bennett next week.

[ARTICLE LINK]