Kelty/ Is this a joke - merged thread

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Peleistheman said:

Off their heads, any decent player who came up to the Highlands loved it. 

This season alone we lost Wetherspoon, Welsh and Carson with us being so far north a major factor. If they had stayed we would almost certainly have been the promotion playoffs, and would definitely not have been relegated.

Edited by Yngwie
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Hiro said:

So what happens with our contracted young players? Do they train by themselves in Inverness thus splintering the group and not leaving enough players for proper training or are they forced to relocate?

What happens to the players already based in Inverness? Do they have to move?

Is the stadium going to be open during the week? Will there be a club shop?

Are we essentially funding a promotion charge for a rival? Imagine if Kelty go up because we've bosted their budget.

We cannot be a community club if we are not in the community.

What happens to all the school visits etc that players do?  If they're not in Inverness all of that work will cease driving yet another wedge between the club and city.

• Like 3

I'm actually in a state of shock over this. It's screams of a desperate CEO trying to save his job!

If a player doesn't want to commit to Inverness, then I don't want that player at the club anyway! I've had enough this season of players who aren't committed to the club and who didn't give a f##k about being relegated.

All this will do is entice half-arsed players, who can't get signed elsewhere, to turn out for Inverness and steal a wage because training at Kelty is convenient for them!!

TBH I think that's me decided - I'll not be renewing my ticket for next season! They've killed the club!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Well Said 4

3 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

This season alone we lost Wetherspoon, Welsh and Carson with us being so far north a major factor. If they had stayed we would almost certainly have been the promotion playoffs, and would definitely not have been relegated.

If we move the entire club to Glasgow we might not get relegated ever again. Doesn't mean we should do it. Some things should simply be off the table. The literal point of a football club is to provide a focus for the community it resides in.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Well Said 2

1 minute ago, Yngwie said:

This season alone we lost Wetherspoon, Welsh and Carson with us being so far north a major factor. If they had stayed we would have been the promotion playoffs, no doubt at all.

We lost Witherspoon because Dundee United could pay more money. 
Welsh was seemingly planning a move but was out injured so much but has made a miracle recovery!

Not sure what happened with Carson. 

This will finish the club!

Weird how all those years we spent working our way up the leagues, into the SPL, winning the Scottish Cup and finishing third we weren't affected by house prices in Inverness or geography. Yet now we need to do something you'd see in the NFL and move the team hundreds of miles away from their origin.

Utterly laughable.

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, IBM said:

We lost Witherspoon because Dundee United could pay more money. 

Indeed but we tried to extend his contract before they came in and he was absolutely not interested because of geography. Dodds had also tried to sign him in the summer but he went to Dunfermline until that deal eventually fell through because they couldn’t come up with the money.

This cannot be allowed to happen.  Time to empty the club of these clowns and start again.  If that means part-time in the Highland League then so be it. 

Sack the board. 

• Well Said 6

3 minutes ago, RiG said:

Weird how all those years we spent working our way up the leagues, into the SPL, winning the Scottish Cup and finishing third we weren't affected by house prices in Inverness or geography. Yet now we need to do something you'd see in the NFL and move the team hundreds of miles away from their origin.

True, but we had people bankrolling us for most of that time, pumping money in that enabled us to pay wage premiums and accommodation costs. Pretty sure the vast majority of our seasons have been loss making? Nobody seems willing to fund us any more so it seems we have to live within our means - which is what a lot of our fans are saying we should have been doing all along rather than being in debt to Morrison.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ymip said:

Yngwie - you're in a minority of one here - read the room FFS.

I’m not supporting it, I’m explaining it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

What a sickener. A truly diabolical decision by the board that will definitely make the news. ICT won’t just be pitied due relegation, but now be viewed as a complete laughing stock. 

I expect the ST to raise a motion of season ticket boycotting on the back of this, with a view to a total board clear out. 

Even if the board’s plan works and we were to win the league, I’d be watching with saddened eyes as journeymen players represent our highland club from the central belt.  

Young player development will be the next cut by the looks of it. 

Surely the last straw for every last ICT fan. 

Join the ST. 

• Well Said 1

You have to ask about the board members who are signing this off.  What are they thinking?

Also, the club is owned in the main by David Sutherland.  Does he support this? 

Posted (edited)

This is so comprehensively absurd that I’ve only sufficiently recovered from the shock to comment on one aspect.

One of the biggest contributors to the mess the club has got itself into is its failure to relate to and inspire the local community. In fact it’s far worse than that because a multitude of issues - not the least the Concert Company collapsing leaving local traders out of pocket while the club trousered a generous ground rent - have resulted in public perception hitting rock bottom (or at least so I thought until this emerged). There are also strong messages that the local business community has become greatly disenchanted with Inverness Caledonian Thistle. Then consider that supporter morale has never in 30 years been as low as now and and that there is unprecedented dissatisfaction with certain individuals in the club’s employ. All of this makes for a clear, urgent and overwhelming need for the club to rebuild bridges with all layers of the local community adds also to restore internal morale.

So what do they do? They suddenly unplug the first team playing squad and management team from Inverness and send it 140 miles down the road to share facilities with a rival League One club - a direct competitor whose own promotion challenge will be greatly strengthened by the considerable rent…. from an arrangement that Inverness Caledonian Thistle tell us they are “delighted” (I did read that three times just to check) to announce.

In other words they have selected one of the club’s big weak points… and taken the single course of action that’s guaranteed to make it even worse.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 5
  • Well Said 14

I get that money/relocation is a factor in attracting players, but I think part of the issue is that the shambles that has been ongoing here for the last 4/5 years has filtered through to the players who maybe don't see the golden opportunity that a move here used to be for their careers.

Maybe they don't fancy joining a basket case of a club as I'm sure one or two of their fellow professionals might have let them know what awaits them.

If we were run properly in a less toxic environment then perhaps opinions might be different but I think we are a long way from being a 'good move' for many.

Posted (edited)

Some fans making the point on P&B that many more remote clubs train far away from their home base - Queen of the South train in Hamilton, Stranraer train in Glasgow, the Angus clubs mainly train in Edinburgh.

Major difference here is the distance - Kelty is more than twice as far away from inverness as any of those clubs and the fact that this is a wholesale relocation of the football side of our club to a rival.  Also, and no disrepect to any of those places and clubs, but we haven't had to do this before because Inverness is a bigger city than those places and we have had more success than any of them.  We aspire to be in the top flight, we spent 15 years there.  

Edited by ictchris
  • Agree 4