FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

DUFC V ICT - matchday thread

Scotty

[li]Discuss the game in this very thread right here  :004:[/li]
    [li]Get to the chatroom HERE[/li]
    [li]See the subs / bookings / report - after the game starts - HERE[/li]
    [li]At the game ? - Dont forget to vote in the POLL after the game has ended. HERE
    [/li]
    [li]See the stats etc by choosing today's game from  HERE[/li]

PLEASE NOTE - SOME UPDATES MAY NOT APPEAR UNTIL A LITTLE LATER TODAY AS NEITHER MYSELF OR CALEYD WILL BE ONLINE DURING GAME

LINEUPS

DUNDEE UTD

[attach=1]

ICT

[attach=2]

Just back from game.

Lucky to be just 1 down at HT. Despite our 4-5-1 we had little presence in midfield, and Bayne was always isolated upfront.

Much better performance in second half - Hart and Pattie pushing forward more to support attacks. Deserved equaliser - free kick whipped in by Hart, powerfully headed down and in by Bayne. We looked the more likely to grab a winner, but a point was satisfactory in a game where both sides missed their playmakers. Poor support for both sides, very much an end of season game.

Hart's constant driving forward with the ball was good but his final pass or cross always ended up as a goal kick.

Caff did fine at RB, better than when I've seen him there before.

Dods and Munro solid as ever.

Fraser had a couple of let offs in the first half when Utd heads beat him to balls that he came for, but also made a couple of good saves.

Black looked good for the last 10 mins.

BTW I've watched McCracken a few times since he was told he's being released this summer, and once again he looked a very solid SPL defender who might be a useful addition to our squad.

I'm reluctant to draw attention to a personal matter, but from a footballing point of view it is perhaps worth pointing out that Donald Park was in charge of the team today. Charlie did not travel due the death of a close family member.

Typical end of season affair but there were still some good chances throughout the game. While a draw was a fair result both sides had good opportunities to finish off the game.

United were the first to threaten when Daly was played through but with Fraser rushing out of his goals to block all he could was header wide oft he target. Inverness were next to attack when a fierce Rankin free kick drew an unconvincing save from Stillie who could only palm the ball way.

Smart build up play on the right saw Hunt play the ball into Robertson who attempted a cheeky lob over Fraser but got nothing on it to seriously test the keeper who was equal to it. Kalvenes sent in a dangerous ball which was attacked by Hunt who forced Fraser into a good stop with Caff completing the clearance under pressure from United attackers. Caff was having an excellent game at right back, reading the game well and getting some solid challenges in on United players.

Hart scampered down the left wing to fire in a cross which went over Bayne and Marcus and cleared by the United left back. The next few chances would fall to United with a Daly header saved by Fraser and a good chance for Hunt sliced well wide of target. The impressive Gomes was performing well in midfield and a good cross by him was dealt with by Dods under pressure as United began to up the tempo.

An ICT free kick saw a good chance fall to Dods but he skewed it wide and was flagged for offside in any case. Another good cross by Hart was cleared by Daly for a corner which resulted in nothing for ICT.Then, after smart build up on the right a cross in from Hunt saw Robertson steal an inch on his marker and flick the ball past Fraser into the net to give United a deserved lead.

Into the 2nd half and a fierce challenge on Hart by Daly saw the first card of the game handed out. An ambitious overhead effort was attempted by Samuel and Fraser looked lively to tip the ball over. A free kick for Inverness saw us get the equaliser. Hart fired the ball in and Bayne was up well to flick past a despairing Stillie in the United goal.

United tried to hit back when Kalvenes crossed for Daly to get another header in but Hastings blocked his effort. Another good cross by Hart found Dods with space to shot but he took too long and was closed down by a defender and the shot deflected wide. Again we threatened with a Richie cross and Bayne looked to be budged off the ball in mid air but the ball broke to McBain who dragged a shot wide - perhaps our best chance to win the game.

United then began to press, they had a lot of the ball around the ICT box but seldom did much with it. The closest they came was a Duff cross which Fraser easily collected. Black came on for Hart and the first thing he did was send McBain free in behind the United defence but his cross was behind the strikers in the box.

United were the better team in the first half but we were much improved in the 2nd. A share of the points was perhaps the fairest result.

Just back from game.

Lucky to be just 1 down at HT. Despite our 4-5-1 we had little presence in midfield, and Bayne was always isolated upfront.

I thought we were playing 4 - 4 -2 with Hat up front. Similar to how we played against Motherwell at the end of last weeks game.

Much better performance in second half - Hart and Pattie pushing forward more to support attacks. Deserved equaliser - free kick whipped in by Hart, powerfully headed down and in by Bayne. We looked the more likely to grab a winner, but a point was satisfactory in a game where both sides missed their playmakers. Poor support for both sides, very much an end of season game.

I'd be amazed if the real attendance was anything over 3,500.

Hart's constant driving forward with the ball was good but his final pass or cross always ended up as a goal kick.

Caff did fine at RB, better than when I've seen him there before.

Dods and Munro solid as ever.

Fraser had a couple of let offs in the first half when Utd heads beat him to balls that he came for, but also made a couple of good saves.

Black looked good for the last 10 mins.

BTW I've watched McCracken a few times since he was told he's being released this summer, and once again he looked a very solid SPL defender who might be a useful addition to our squad.

Hart was wasteful but also creative - a furious combination to have. He did okay and seemed to be our most creative player and certainly our best crosser of the ball.

Caff was excellent I thought. He read the game so well and was strong in the challenge. Was seldom beaten to the ball.

McCracken - if he is still getting freed we should sign him. He was excellent yesterday and far better than Wilkie who they are retaining.

Guest Arab4Ever

McCracken was excellent yesterday (in comparison to the rest anyway). Would it be reading to much into it to point out he played extra well against ICT?  Im convinced he will replace Dods anyway.

I would point out Rig that over the course of the season Wilkie has been better than McCracken and isnt playing for a contract either.

Lets do one of these smiley rater things:

Fraser -  :003: :003: :003:

Hastings -  :003: :003: :003:

Munro -  :003: :003: :003:

Dods -  :003: :003: :003:

Caff -  :003: :003: :003: :003:

McBain -  :003: :003: :003:

Duncan -  :003: :003: :003:

Rankin -  :003: :003: :003:

Marcus -  :003: :003: :003:

Bayne -  :003: :003: :003:

Hart -  :003: :003: :003:

Black (for Hart) -  :003: :003:

Feck me RIG - you are improving.  :001:

4-5-1 has always been our best away system.

I like that formation because, as I have said before, when can easily switch to a 4 - 3 - 3 if we need to. We have the players that can easily play in positions required for both formations which is a bit of a bonus.

Lets do one of these smiley rater things:

McBain -  :003: :003: :003:

Nah, 2 at best, he had a shocker.

Really? I thought he was decent before being pushed wide right ( :017: ) where he was never going to do well. The old solid if somewhat unspectacular for me.

What a freekick from Hart for Bayne's goal.. header wasn't too shabby either :clapping03:

It was excellent. I was already standing up going "Yes, YES!"  :010: before Bayne had even touched it  :001:

I see the match report says that we appeared to play a 4 - 5 - 1. I am still pretty certain that it was 4 - 4 - 2 with Hart up front alongside Bayne which is how we finished against Motherwell the other week.