FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

BBC Views

chris123

Guest TinCanFan

I see Ian Rankin's got a TV programme on BBC 3 on Wednesday's at ten o'clock.  I wonder if it's the same guy?

The BEEB---huh?

I emailed them a note asking if the game in Inverness is going to be broadcast on Saturday to Overseas listeners since their Sportsound website does not have a single reference to date about the ICT versus Rangers match.

Surprise, surprise, they ignored me and did not reply..

Can any one on here please advise about Overseas broadcasting for Saturday?      :33:

Thanks

S.P.

OK... I realise it's open season on the BBC at the moment and it's easy to take a swipe but the Rankin thing is a simple and obvious Freudian type slip.

Ian Rankin is, of course, the well known author of the Inspector Rebus mysteries and whoever wrote the copy has quite simply interchanged Christian names. It's something we've all done.

In fact the best memory I have of that was when Alan Michael was doing commentary from the Caledonian Stadium and he referred to "Geri" Halliwell in the visiting goal!

Gringo... yes, there was a period when ICT's home record wasn't great, but across the wider picture of 13 years I would suggest they have quite a formidable home record. I'm sure you've heard the term "Fortress Caledonian Stadium".

BBC Quote "Inverness have always proved a tough nut to crack, particularly at home." Unquote..

Oh ye', since when?   

Since last season...  we have swapped round our form, now much better at home but pysh away.

Charles perhaps you could ask your colleague at the BBC, Murdo Macleod, what sort of criteria the panel of experts look at when considering an appeal for a work permit and whether he thinks Niculae has the right footballing credentials to enhance the Scottish game

OK... I realise it's open season on the BBC at the moment and it's easy to take a swipe but the Rankin thing is a simple and obvious Freudian type slip.

A Freudian slip that they also made at least a dozen times last season too .......

Charles, I am very appreciative of the BBC now that I live over here. I get BBC World News on TV, BBC Canada on TV for things like Little Britain and other quirky shows, and during the football season I enjoy being able to listen over the Internet to RG and the sportsound panel and even hear your own dulcet tones from time to time when the games arent blocked (which is not the BBC's fault as I have said on numerous occasions). Heck, I've even been know to listen to Traynor which is not something I ever did when I lived in the country !

I dont even blame them (BBC Scotland) for closing down the predictor in the light of recent phone-in scandals despite the fact that the predictor is an online game with no phone-in element and which would be hard to rig. They are only following orders from on-high

All in all, highlighting this frequent mistake doesnt constitute 'open season' from ICT fans, just frustration at an often repeated mistake  :004:

Perhaps Ian Rankin could get Inspector Rebus to investigate work permits !!!

Oh well I can see that no one is available to inform me about broadcasting on Saturday to overseas punters. How come the rest of you punters draw a response from Charles but not the poor old Scarlet Pincer (oops, sorry, that's my uncle).

The fact is that only the Motherwell game is going to be broadcast overseas tomorrow Saturday, 4th August, 2007, so Scotty you and I might as well live on Mars ....

Quite an impressive line up of commentators too, I see..... :022:

Maybe I will  try the chat room instead but 4.30 a.m is indeed early out here on the West Coast of Canada to be getting up.

Hows it a Freudian slip Bannerman? A Freudian slip, or 'parapraxis' refers to when the unconscious id overrides the conscious ego causing an individual to unintentionally verbally expresses a forbidden desire. What does mixing up John with Ian have to do with psycho-sexual conflict? Stop trying to show off with big words you don't understand you pretentious so and so.

SP - thanks for the info re. availability of audio for overseas. On this side of the Pacific the BBC pages have been unavailable for some time so I wasn't even able to check the listing. Think I'll just stay in the pub and watch the tractor pulling championships (again.) :017:

You know, in an effort to find some sporting action to view I've been watching some bizarre TV recently. I think yesterday's Ski-Doo racing was the lowest ebb (but I still watched it!).

By the way, it looks like BBC will be putting the weekend highlights onto its website for 7 days...whether the great unwashed overseas will be permitted to participate... :008: :009:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport.cfm?id=1220112007

Think I'll just stay in the pub and watch the tractor pulling championships (again.)

Must remind you of living in the Borders!

I was wondering why I couldn't keep my eyes off it...still hoping to see re-runs of 'One Man and His Dog'...but that might be on the cookery channel!