FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Did we shoot ourselves in the foot?

chris123

It's actually a good point, and as a resident of the Skye & Lochalsh district of the Highland Region I would say there is definitely a bit of resentment towards the Big City in the East.

There is very little interest here in ICT - Ross County are definitely more popular, even in parts that were formerly Inverness-shire, although the majority of football supporters here tend to follow the OF.

If ICT had more of a regional identity, and dropped the name "Inverness" I think more people in the out-lying areas would follow them.

On the other hand though, ICT is a city team - do we really want those banjo-strummers?

What nonsense...!! Inverness is the capital of the Highlands... Anyone in search of a decent shop, or restaurant, cinema or theatre, this is where they have to come - not Dingwall -

The full name of Inverness Caledonian Thistle is fine with me... I notice now that the meeja have taken to calling us by a shortened form of "Inverness." That's ok with me to...

We don't hear many footy people talking about Heart of Midlothian FC too often...

Guest TinCanFan

Sorry I don't understand this thread :029: Inverness Caley Thistle Play In Inverness and Real Madrid play in Madrid and FC Barcelona play guess where? Most teams are called where they come from or have it in their team names.

I can name a team who don't play in the place that is in their name - Red Bull New York.

RBNY actually play in New Jersey not in New York City or State.

Yes well whatever, as the younger us2 said Aston Villa play in Birmingham I was just trying to make a point that this thread was and is pretty pointless.  :clapping03:

Im sorry, I'll make sure I check with you next time i go to start a thread.

Scotty

I was impressed with Toronto F.C. the last time I was able to se them on TV. They are not short on determination and effort but I think that ICT would be too much for them in the pace department and slick passing for which they are rightly famous since time began. In short , more professional......IMHO of course :003:

I was happy and a little surprised to see the name of Buckett appear out of the blue once again. How are you my man? And have you relocated recently? And ..well.. er...slightly controversial as ever..... :022:

I think we should be actively trying to pull in people from around Inverness, we should sell/give away blocks of season tickets to schools in Ross Shire and right down the Moray firth and let them rotate who gets which games.  The name of the team, with Inverness included, will in the long run have a bigger pull to those 6 fingered weirdos than any name without Inverness.

As for reaching to extreme out lying areas, well who really cares, we'll never compete with the media coverage the Old Firm get and ultimately thats how the vast majority of these people will stay 'in touch' with their clubs.  These forgotten places, like the place Buckett lives, should stay forgotten.

The sad thing about the clubs lack of activity in trying to bring in more out of town(or in) punters is that right now is the time we have to do it, infact it may have already passed, we need to seriously find a way to push season ticket sales in areas as far east as Elgin and upto Tain.  The only reasons for not doing this are laziness and complacently, thats aimed at the supporters trust aswell as those employed by the club, inexcusable.  :018:

Sorry I don't understand this thread :029: Inverness Caley Thistle Play In Inverness and Real Madrid play in Madrid and FC Barcelona play guess where? Most teams are called where they come from or have it in their team names.

I can name a team who don't play in the place that is in their name - Red Bull New York.

RBNY actually play in New Jersey not in New York City or State.

Your best post ever.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I moved from Inverness to the Western Highlands many years ago and see myself as a bit of a missionary - trying in vain to convert my banjo-strumming County/OF-supporting neighbours to the cause of ICT, even offering them a lift to Inverness on matchdays.

Whereas they would have no problem supporting a team with a Highland identity, they most definitely would not support a team with "Inverness" in it's name. Strummers have issues with that sort of thing.

But I would say this is more than offset by the number of Invernessians who swarm to the Longman every other Saturday buoyed by civic pride in their team's city identity!  :016:

Scarlet P - kind words indeed! I am well, hope you are too. Seems we were on different frequencies all those years ago!  :003:

There might have been merit at the outset in calling the team Highland, like the rugby club..........

What a load of absolute tosh! And before I forget, you lot would still be in the HFL if it were not for Caley!  :crazy07:

Buckett--I am not so well as I was 10 years ago , but still working. Next year is definitely when I retire from the grind so I have my sights on Inverness sooner or later in 2008.

On different wavelengths  years ago?--nah, we were just growing up thegither. Boyish enthusiasm  and all that.  :001:

After a couple of pints with IHE we will be swearing undying love and affectation.  Life is too short for anything else.

:banana99: