FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

RIP Tommy Burns

Guest birdog

Guest birdog

A great servant to Scottish football will be sadly missed. Tommy Burns died this morning, rest in peace Tommy.

I'm shocked!

Produced one of the most entertaining football teams I'd ever seen in that great Celtic line-up, where ball players of Stubbs and Boyd were rocks in the defence, Collins and McStay were at the heart and di Canio, Cadette and van Hooijdonk were the amazing front line.  Only a sheer will to win and incredible goalie stopped them winning the title.

RIP

Indeed

And a fine footballer in his day too.

One memory I have of him and I think he was playing for Killie at the time, I'm sure someone will know, he was one on one with the goalie and lobbed him beautifully, only to see the ball bounce over the bar off the hard summer pitch!!!

I recall around about 1979 Celtic were playing a pre season friendly against the Jags at Kinsmills and there were the usual crowd of kids hunting autoraphs at a time when Old Firm stars appearing in the Highlands was a rare event.

Most of the Celtic team, even the fringe players who made up the bulk of the Celtic XI, signed one or two autographs in a perfuntory manner and then departed for the dressing room but Tommy and Pat Bonner both made a point of staying out on the pitch until they had signed for every child in the queue.

Just had an e-mail from Mike Smith and at the request of the SPL there will be a one minutes applause before all the games tomorrow.  Fitting tribute.  :clapping03: :clapping03: