FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Defender Required

absent friend

Somewhere on another thread someone was making the point that our manager should, being a forward, be able to recognise the type of CD we require.

I wonder if he does think this way or with him being a forward, is he concentrating on scoring or scorers.

Our record in the two departments over the past two years should have allowed the Board - with their eyes and brains shut - to recognise our need was in defence and offer all assistance if Brew is blind to this.

06/07 Only 3 teams scored less than us

07/08 Only 3 teams scored MORE than us!

06/07 Only 4 teams had a better defensive record than us

07/08 Only Gretna let more goals in!!

Credit where due, he seems to have got the most out of his forwards - although you would not think it, with all the negative comments on here.

BUT

'The Defence', surely it cannot be just the loss of one player??( I see the goalkeeping area as being quite solid)

Is it possible that his coaching is aimed at the area he is so knowledgable in, at the expence of defensive training OR is that too simplistic?

Surely a problem so large must be the topic at each board meeting and I would like to think that this is now being addressed in the transfer targets?

Have to agree. Defence has been an issue ever since we lost Darren Dodds. As for Mcguire well less said the better. Hopefully once Niculae goes there will be some cash to offer a decent wage but Ive no preferences other that a bit of experience in the mould of Dodds if thats possible. Don't have much faith in Brew though going by recent dealings in the market...

Guest neksor

A large and mobile central defender is most certainly needed but another problem is right back.

The manager persists in playing Tokely who was a player of yester-year! His style of play is easily read and indeed more and more opposing managers know to put a nippy player on the wing and Tokely is floundering. He makes lunging tackles and he is not able to recover. In addition his spacial awareness of what is going on around him is limited. He does on occassion make powerful runs up the park but then leaves his own position vulnerable.

It is not just one defender we need!

neksor

Personally I agree that we need a commanding centre back but unfortunately it has been made very clear that we are not going to make any more defensive signings this season

Which I find mind boggling to be honest. Must have a lot of faith in the defenders we already have. I can see a new defender arriving by January though as I don't have the same confidence - based on last season admittedly.

07/08 Only Gretna let more goals in!!

I remember seeing this at the end of the season. Was hugely disappointing thing to realise about the defence last season.

The fact of the matter is that in the summer of 2006 it was pretty obvious that Darren Dods was going to leave and the defenders we have signed since then are:

Phil McGuire - Had a positive impact when he first came in but slumped (along with the rest of the side) after New Year

Steven Watt - Injury-prone youngster who has only played something like 15 first team games in his career.

Lionel Djebi-Zadi - Notoriously unreliable player, who could come good but is a risk.

We haven't done enough to plug the obvious gap in our squad since then.

Maybe Brewster being a forward player himself cant see things from a defensive perspective!  but even my privet hedge noticed the poor defence last season, surely a wee light has gone off in his head to highlight this?

Unfortunatley Brew has a penchant for putting players into unacustomed roles, and i can see this being continued this season in defence.  :009:

It looks like our first choice back 4 will be the same as last season's. The 4 that played against St Johnstone and Nordsjaelland:

Tokely - McGuire - Munro - Hastings

We can all see that this is the area that needs to be strengthened most of all. But Brew doesn't see it. If we start the season leaking goals all over the place then he will have to stand up and take the blame. Until then, we'll just have to give those 4 another chance.

This is the best feckin thread by a country mile - Our defence is shocking and we need three more defenders - somebody who has experience and leadership and somebody with a bit of pace and knows how to play a ball out of defence without hoofing it.

Get Proctor into right back - keep Munro and ditch the rest - It is a bit like Brewsters favoutrites at the back and will he admit the obvious deficiency - like feck he will - and we will all suffer.

Guest manonthemoon

Lionel Djebi-Zadi will be great success!  Also, with Proctor, Munro, Hastings, and Tokely.. we have good solid defenders there!  Roll on the new season!

STEVEN PRESSLEY!!!!

Doncaster turned him down so he'll be getting desperate :rotflmao:

No really think he could do the job for us for a year or two and wouldn't necessarily go for high wages as he'll want to play 1st team football at his age. He's a Scotland coach also which could help us out somehow perhaps!

I think he would be a great signing but I can't see Brew wanting him due to the fact he is looking to go into management

True but maybe, just maybe, Brewster could show some stones and think that signing him and him playing well would benefit the team and thus benefit him?

Ditch Malky and get him in as assistant. Then we can give him a defender wage and a managment wage. So effectively he will be on more money but not breaking the wages structure.

Graham

I'd go for that. Brewster get it sorted!

Interesting post on P&B a few minutes ago suggesting Russell Anderson may be loaned to Hibs this season.

This would probably be a non-starter for two reasons: firstly, if it came to a contest between us and Hibs I suspect he would prefer a move to Edinburgh; secondly, we probably wouldn't be able or prepared to meet the percentage of his wages that Sunderland would want us to pay.

That said, it might still be worth making enquiries in case the Hibs move falls through.

NB should point out that Anderson scored an og in Sunderland's 2-1 defeat to Accies today...

Lionel Djebi-Zadi will be great success!  Also, with Proctor, Munro, Hastings, and Tokely.. we have good solid defenders there!  Roll on the new season!

Careful mano..................your positivity could be contagious

Manonthemoon would is more than likely from dingwall, and on the wind-up.