FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

BBC Alba

davieB

Found this...

'BBC ALBA will broadcast one full SPL game every Saturday for two seasons.[5] The games will be broadcast three hours after the game has ended. The game shown will be a selected one not covered by either live Setanta Sports or on an on-demand basis by BT Vision[6]. The match will only have Gaelic commentary along with English subtitles.'

Alba launches on Sept 19, and I read on another forum that the first game being shown is our visit to Hearts (not sure how that person knows this, I cant find anything else about schedules). I'd guess we might feature quite often though given that it's a Gaelic channel!

Should be good though, and give us far more coverage than our weekly 2 minute slot on Sportscene. Oh, and it's on Sky 168 for those who didn't know.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this...

'BBC ALBA will broadcast one full SPL game every Saturday for two seasons.[5] The games will be broadcast three hours after the game has ended. The game shown will be a selected one not covered by either live Setanta Sports or on an on-demand basis by BT Vision[6]. The match will only have Gaelic commentary along with English subtitles.'

Alba launches on Sept 19, and I read on another forum that the first game being shown is our visit to Hearts (not sure how that person knows this, I cant find anything else about schedules). I'd guess we might feature quite often though given that it's a Gaelic channel!

Should be good though, and give us far more coverage than our weekly 2 minute slot on Sportscene. Oh, and it's on Sky 168 for those who didn't know.

Cheers for that David I'm learning Gaelic so watching ICT with gaelic commentry should be good

Guest RPFaither

Will the band of Caley 'singers' have to learn a Gaelic football song? :rotflmao:

I'd suggest 'Oidhche mhath' by the Vatersay Boys but the words might be too difficult to learn! :thumb04:

Actually, joking apart - it'd be a great one to sing to opposing fans when Caley are winning!!

Will the band of Caley 'singers' have to learn a Gaelic football song? :rotflmao:

I'd suggest 'Oidhche mhath' by the Vatersay Boys but the words might be too difficult to learn! :thumb04:

Actually, joking apart - it'd be a great one to sing to opposing fans when Caley are winning!!

Brilliant idea or when away fans are leaving early instead of singing cheerio

Just sing mar sin leibh. :018:

This is an attempt by those behind gaelic to artificially boost viewing figures so they can turn round and say there is a demand for gaelic and get more cash. Speaking of gaelic......Where is TCF these days?

From me:

I read that BBC Alba will be showing an SPL game every week, on cable and

satellite, with freeview coverage after the digital switchover. As a

licence-paying football fan without cable or satellite, I think this is an

utter disgrace. I am paying my licence fee to fund programmes I cannot

watch. There is already all too little football on terrestrial television

due to Sky and Setanta, and now the few games available to the BBC will be

only to shown to those who are already paying out subscriptions. Whatever

happened to the idea of free national broadcasting? I hope you will

reconsider the timing of the freeview coverage.

From the BBC:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding BBC Alba.

I appreciate you are unhappy the channel will not be launching on Freeview

on the 19 September when it is launched on Freesat, free-to-air satellite,

Sky and digital cable.

While we would like to provide access to BBC Alba to our terrestrial

viewers in Scotland on the 19 September, we are currently limited by what

we can offer on Freeview due to the existence of analogue television

services. Once the switchover is completed in Scotland, we will be

provided with the capacity to transmit BBC Alba, using frequency space

previously used by analogue television channels.

In the meantime there is no requirement to pay a subscription to view BBC

Alba on digital satellite. For a one-off payment, all that is required is

the installation of digital satellite equipment to receive BBC digital

channels using Freesat, or an independent satellite receiver. For further

details please view our website at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/digital/tv/tv_nonsubs.shtml

I realise you are disappointed with the current situation and hope this

reply goes some way to helping you understand the reasons for the delay of

BBC Alba on Freeview. To this end your comments have been registered on

our audience log which ensures your views are registered and circulated

across the BBC to programme makers and senior BBC management.

Thanks again for taking the opportunity to contact us with your views.

So no need to pay a subscription, I just need to pay a fortune for hardware.

That's okay then :rotflmao:

Guest RPFaither

This is an attempt by those behind gaelic to artificially boost viewing figures so they can turn round and say there is a demand for gaelic and get more cash. Speaking of gaelic......Where is TCF these days?

Don't under-estimate the power of the coast-wester!! Good singers/enjoy a party/generous etc etc :rotflmao:

Maybe not, I have discovered this from Tesco Direct. If you use the points as "Deals" they're worth ?40, so net cost is only ?35. I've just bought one.

You get 4 months of free channels and as long as you cancel it during this time giving them a months notice, you get to keep the dish and box giving you all the Freesat channels.

Edited by Caley

Maybe not, I have discovered this from Tesco Direct. If you use the points as "Deals" they're worth ?40, so net cost is only ?35. I've just bought one.

You get 4 months of free channels and as long as you cancel it during this time giving them a months notice, you get to keep the dish and box giving you all the Freesat channels.

That sounds very impressive. Will you let me know how you get on with installation etc?

i think it is about time we got our own language on the tele, the Welsh have had it for years so we should also, i wish i was fluent in the gaelic but i'm not however i'm learning it at the moment.

i also think gaelic should be taught in schools all over Scotland, the local council in Renfrewshire are running free classes for adults.

Found this...

According to a story in today's "Herald", the channel's first game will indeed be the Hearts-ICT match - recorded on Saturday and shown later in the week with Gaelic commentary. Didn't give a day or time, unfortunately. Maybe someone should run off a wee banner for the occasion. How does one write "Stick the long ball up your @rse" in Gaelic?

I was under the impression the games would be shown on a Saturday night. Just checked the Sky guide on the TV and there's sport on from 19.30-21-30 on Saturday night......described as SPL 90.

that's what i thought as well, here was mee looking forward to watching the game in gaelic on saturday night with a wee carry out......... :rotflmao: