FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dundee -V- ICT : Matchday Thread

Scotty

Thanks to all who were at the game for posting their comments and assessments of individual players. It sounds as if there is fairly general agreement that Lionel is playing well and has fewer people continually knocking him than last year. Also, Munro seems to have got his act together this year. I haven't been up for a game this season as yet, but will be rectifying that fairly soon. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new boys first hand, and to make my own mind up about them. However, it sounds very encouraging at the minute.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the game yesterday and I thought it was a really good game of football (what I can remember of it)

I thought the first half was fairly even in terms of possession but we had by far the more chances. I think Dundee only had 2 real opportunities in the first half and they took them both. On the other hand we had 4 maybe 5 chances and 2 were taken. Dani Sanchez's one was a brilliant finish. He could easily have rushed it but he stayed composed and placed it into the corner. I cant remember Cox's goal but I think it was a good finish.

Second half was pretty end to end. We had a brilliant counter attack from a Dundee corner where Lee Cox went through on goal and Bullock make a good save. The rebound fell to Sanchez and I reckon if he hit it on target it would have been 3-2. Richie Foran had a brilliant opportunity as well but Bullock made on hell of a save.

Dundee also had their chances. Leigh Griffiths (or however you spell it) almost won the game when he went down the left (or my right) and took it right to the six yard box where Esson made a good save. Apart from that I thought Griffiths was crap. Complete waste of money. Proctor had him in his back pocket

I was really impressed with all of the players except Eagle. He seemed to keep wasting possession and I thought Nick Ross looked more of a threat when he came on. Hayes and Cox were outstanding.

By the way Allison didnt come on it was Morrison, Rooney and Ross.

Good performance and a great result to take away from Dundee. I would have taken a draw at the start of the match so I am delilghted we have got it especially after going behind twice which shows the Character of the side.

We have found our way to goal now as well so I think it could be looking very promising. Bring on the County Game

Please show me where you saw that rule that rules out goalkeepers coming on as outfield players?

OK - I've had a dig, and it's not a case of where, it's a case of when. It seems that designated goalkeeper subs only existed for one season; 1994/95. :D

If only I'd made my original post 15 years earlier. :D

http://www.corshamref.org.uk/lawchang.htm

Lot of criticism aimed at Eagle on here. I thought he did ok. He is not as direct as Johnny but tends to hold the ball well and is prepared to go backward to go forward and he can deliver a decent cross. The one guy that does not improve the quality of the squad for me is Stratford, or am I missing something. Russel or Roy would be a better option and even Proc pushed forward when Rossco comes back. Imrie should be useful in this division when he recovers and we still have Eric and Barrowman..............things to look forward to, and the knowledge that Dundee are not better than us.

We could easily have taken all three points but the home sides late flurry meant a draw was fair in an immensely enjoyable spectacle. Esson also earned his corn with some good blocks and Grant once again stood firm.

Great day out, cheers to Uncle Albert, Big Stu and the Snug bar.

:P GK - Adam Rooney, 12 Roy McBain, 14 Nick Ross, 15 Gavin Morrison and 16 Kyle Allison

Strange way of setting it out as the GK would also have a number, so I am assuming that Rooney was 12, Roy 14, Nick 15, Gavin 16 and Kyle 17, so when no 12 came up on the board the announcer would have looked down and it was Roy on his sheet but it was really Adam, then 15 came up he said Morrison but it was Ross and the 16 he thought was Allison but was Morrison. :D

Hope this helps, cause I think this is right!

As for the debate whether Allison could have gone on for an outfield player, I think that the subs are numbered and no one is actually identified as the sub goalie, so as long as he had an outfield jersey with his number on, he could play outfield. Some teams don't use a goalie on the bench, and that is there choice, as anyone can go in goals as long as they inform the officials before they do it.

Absolutely fantastic game, really enjoyed it. I thought we were the better side in the first half but Harkins looks a class act and took his chances very well indeed. Proctor had a bit of a time with him. I thought that we looked very sharp in midfield and up front - reports of us being shot shy in earlier games look wide o fthe mark on that evidence. Foran had a good game, his work to set up Cox for the second was brilliant and Sanchez was good rolling off his man and playing neat little balls all game. Cox and Stratford in midfield were impressive - I think we've really pulled one out of the bag in signing Cox, he looks very good in this league and he's only 19.

Dundee looked pretty shaky at the back and it's surprising that they haven't signed anyone to shore up these areas, considering they seem to have a lot of money to spend. In terms of their players Harkins looked dangerous as did Griffiths when he came on.

One of the best games I've been at in a while. End to end stuff, with a draw probably just about a fair result, although if anyone was going to sneak it, it was us. Foran and Sanchez really seemed to understand each other having played a few games together and Cox was immense again. Hayes also did well and I know that Eagle gets some stick, but I thought he was better on Saturday too, even having a shot cleared off the line.

Great atmosphere once again from our fans - the Dundee fans were terrible considering how many of them there were compared to us.

As said before, Dundee didn't look too good at the back and we looked capable of scoring every time we went forward. Cox really should have scored when he was through on Bullock. It's all looking good for the season as it shows that we can more than match Dundee and our players should take confidence from that.

In terms of subs it was definitely

Ross on for Eagle

Rooney on for Hayes

Morrison on for Proctor

:ohmy: GK - Adam Rooney, 12 Roy McBain, 14 Nick Ross, 15 Gavin Morrison and 16 Kyle Allison

Strange way of setting it out as the GK would also have a number, so I am assuming that Rooney was 12, Roy 14, Nick 15, Gavin 16 and Kyle 17, so when no 12 came up on the board the announcer would have looked down and it was Roy on his sheet but it was really Adam, then 15 came up he said Morrison but it was Ross and the 16 he thought was Allison but was Morrison. :blink:

This makes sense to me so I will amend our stats to reflect this and check it with the club and Ian Broadfoot.

edit: email sent to club for confirmation

Was at a wedding with about 10 ICT fans so we all missed the game but just before the bride and groom went in to exchange vows we found out ICT had equalised to make it 2-2.... set up what was a cracking day/night

I had a horrible feeling we were going to get a dooing but Butcher obviously has the boys on a mission, if we can improve our home results it could be a corker of a season :blink::ohmy:

bring on the gypos

Edited by Harry Chibber

Watching that game on Saturday served to emphasise just how boring football in the SPL has been for the past 5 years. It's been a long time since I've been at a game where I wasn't willing to nip off a couple of mins before HT whistle to grab a pie before the queues formed, but I couldn't pull myself away from the game on Saturday. Even at the end of the game where I'd promised the Gringos a lift to the Train Station for the 5:20 train and the game was going on and on we couldn't bring ourselves to leave....even with the risk of the Gringos being stranded (I got them there thanks to some "creative" driving).

It's also been a long time since I could hand on heart say "I Believe" in our team and tactics, but that feeling is back and my post match thoughts are more about the positives and best performances as opposed to where things went wrong and looking for scapegoats to pin my frustration on.

Do we have enough to win the league? Time will tell, but so long as we keep doing what we were doing on Saturday then I'll be content in the knowledge that we went out there and gave it our best shot, regardless of where we finish.

In terms of subs it was definitely

Ross on for Eagle

Rooney on for Hayes

Morrison on for Proctor

:ohmy: GK - Adam Rooney, 12 Roy McBain, 14 Nick Ross, 15 Gavin Morrison and 16 Kyle Allison

Strange way of setting it out as the GK would also have a number, so I am assuming that Rooney was 12, Roy 14, Nick 15, Gavin 16 and Kyle 17, so when no 12 came up on the board the announcer would have looked down and it was Roy on his sheet but it was really Adam, then 15 came up he said Morrison but it was Ross and the 16 he thought was Allison but was Morrison. :blink:

This makes sense to me so I will amend our stats to reflect this and check it with the club and Ian Broadfoot.

edit: email sent to club for confirmation

Ian Broadfoot has confirmed the subs were as stated above and the reason for the mixup was indeed the team lines.

Interesting quote from Butcher in today's P&J:

If we can continue to make chances like that I will be very pleased ? it could be a Kevin Keegan type approach, there could be results like 5-4 and 6-5, how that game finished 2-2 I just don?t know.

He's right, there could've been a few more goals in the game and i wouldn't have gambled against somebody scoring a winner in injury time. If we're going to see more games like that this season then we'll all enjoy ourselves - promotion or not.

I dont want this to sound negative but the way I word this it probably will sound negative

As much as I enjoyed the game on Saturday and thought it was really enjoyable and from what Butcher has said it could be more of the same but for this season I would much rather see a boring 1-0 win to us rather than a spectacular 5-4 defeat as we need to get back to the SPL this year no matter what.

On the other hand though we did play really good football and to be honest we never really got ripped apart on the counter. Yes there were one or two moments when I though oh god thats going in but you get that in every match

As much as I would like us to be catious and get a 1-0 win I think that we can play attacking football like we did no saturday and still not concede many goals

I just hope that at sometime in the future we dont risk 3 points for a bit of entertainment

By the way that has nothing to do with the Dundee game as I can not think of many negative things about that game at all. For once that is my sensible side talking