FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

So which result is bigger?

Scotty

as the title says ? Which result is bigger ?

A bad Celtic side under Barnes being beaten 1-3 on their home turf ?

or

A bad Celtic side taken over by Lennon being beaten 0-2 in the Cup Semi at Hampden ?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2000 nobody believed it was possible for Celtic to lose to a lower league team. These days its pretty common (4 in 10 years).

We were the first to do it, and the only ones to do it at Celtic Park.

exactly my thoughts

no one believed caley could do it

and people believed county could do it.

Just walked in the door from work. Put the tele on and saw the score with injury time to go. Sounds like they took them on and deserved the win. Always great when the OF get pumped. Think in terms of the question the two results are on a par.

Would I sooner have ICT almost back in the SPL or in the Cup Final. The former by a long way.

Ours was a bigger as we did it first, and arguably Celtic had better players at our time, just crap manager. Only Keane and Brown outstanding players in that team, plus one who thinks hes world class - McGeady!

Just walked in the door from work. Put the tele on and saw the score with injury time to go. Sounds like they took them on and deserved the win. Always great when the OF get pumped. Think in terms of the question the two results are on a par.

Would I sooner have ICT almost back in the SPL or in the Cup Final. The former by a long way.

The latter for me. I was a St Mirren fan before ICT. Even though Saints were a long time in the top half of the SPL (as is), it's 1987 that gets talked about.

I'm glad a thread has been started on the ICT related forum today. Magnificant result for County! I had a 14/1 bet on them to win and they delivered nicely. IMO this is a far bigger win than the 3-1 in 2000. It doesn't matter if we were 6 years old, they are in the cup final and thats worth more than what we recieved (Aberdeen twice). I can't believe how well they performed and today i was actually spurring on Barrowman and Vigurs throughout the game, well done to them.

I'm going to try and get a ticket to the final now and support the highlands and i recommend a few of us do the same (Our season will be over by then and we all love a game of football, why not support the highlands), Ross County has had an excellent season and after beating Celtic they deserve a massive support against whoever they play Dundee Utd or Raith. County have a great chance to win the cup now, lets just hope Raith can do it tomorrow and make it an even better final.

There is no doubt it is a great result, good luck them, it might take their mind off us for a while :cheer01: . But as I remember it, our result was a genuine shockwave at the time. Today may result in the end of Lennon, but it doesn't feel like the major trauma that Celtic received at our hands. Partly that is because the OF have had their share of defeats by 'lower' teams increased since then, it is no longer unthinkable, and also because Celtic were absolutely pitifully bad today (and County were very disciplned, well organised and took their chances). One enjoyable aspect of the commentary was the number of times they mentioned ICT and our famous victory - haha, even with their best result, they can't escape our shadow looming over them :025:

I'm glad a thread has been started on the ICT related forum today. Magnificant result for County! I had a 14/1 bet on them to win and they delivered nicely. IMO this is a far bigger win than the 3-1 in 2000. It doesn't matter if we were 6 years old, they are in the cup final and thats worth more than what we recieved (Aberdeen twice). I can't believe how well they performed and today i was actually spurring on Barrowman and Vigurs throughout the game, well done to them.

I'm going to try and get a ticket to the final now and support the highlands and i recommend a few of us do the same (Our season will be over by then and we all love a game of football, why not support the highlands), Ross County has had an excellent season and after beating Celtic they deserve a massive support against whoever they play Dundee Utd or Raith. County have a great chance to win the cup now, lets just hope Raith can do it tomorrow and make it an even better final.

I'll buy my ticket when I find out which one of my parents area of origin to follow, Father's Fife or Mother's Tayside :025:

Another consideration is that whilst County are an established Div 1 side who have been battling for promotion all season, ICT in 2000 had just come up from Division 2 and were in the bottom half of the league.

I think they rank pretty even. Ours was the bigger shock as such results were much rarer back then and we also scored 3 goals at their home ground. But County are a smaller club and have reached a final. Remember that Celtic are all but out of the title race and this was their only chance of silverware this season so Celtic should have been really motivated today as opposed to 10 years ago when the game would have been seen as a routine match on their way to the business end of the competition.

County winning the Cup and us getting promotion to the SPL - what an advert for football in the Highlands that would be!

I agree beating Celtic these days isn't that suprising but what i mean by bigger is they are now in a cup final because of their win, we only got a next round tie against Aberdeen. It's tough to say what was a bigger win. Clyde even beat Celtic on what i think was Roy Keane's debut. I always thought beating Celtic at home 1-0 was a bigger win in 2003, they went to the Uefa Cup final that year and had top players playing against us, unlike today or in 2000

Both great achievments in their own right but getting to the final just beats our achievement particulary if that leads to European football.

Thats a good point, Would County gain european qualification if Utd beat Raith and were guarenteed Europa League next season? I remember after QOS and Gretna both done it they were thinking of changing the rules so that only the winner of the cup would gain qualification and if that wasn't to happen the next leading team in the SPL would get it.

Edited by ICTPAISLEY