Ayr Utd -V- ICT : Post-Match Thread

Scotty

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic day! What more to say? Just amazing

Wow

That day is right up there with the best of them. What a ball was had by all. We ran rings round Ayr. In fact, you could say that Ayr were not at the races. In between the good natured mayhem there was a football match. The party begun early on the trust bus, yep, trust bus, not truss bus. Harry's pub was stowed out when we breezed into town. The bar staff were rushed off their feet as the the party atmosphere was upped. Chatted to a couple of despondant Ayr fans who said we would gub them. In my diplomacy I thought they might sneak a draw as they would be right up for a relegation battle. Wrong, ten minutes gone and it was all over. Pocket rocket leprechaun and shamrocker little Jonny led the way. What a find he has been. Bumped into two guys wearing the Ireland tops and they turned out to be little Jonny's dad and brother I think it was. The inevitable question sort of stumbled out of my mouth. Will he sign on, his dad seems to think theres a pretty good chance and it was thumbs up all round. Like most, I lost count after four, who cares we simply rolled Ayr over. What a fantastic atmoshere and the fans and stewards were one, all just beaming. Excitement got the better of us and a couple of pitch trips by some was repelled until the final whistle when fandemonium broke out and the away support raced over to the main stand. It wa snow like a rock concert as the fans waited for the encore. Terry appeared, looking like the pope on a world tour and ingratiated the watching masses. The man is just awesome, spellbound hordes hung on his every word, he had us in the palm of his hands, yes, we were at his mercy and cheered ourselves hoarse. Final stage of the party to come next week and Roy's do at night. This has simply been the best season ever and thanks to all who have made it that way.

Met some nice young men from Dornoch, good to meet you, who's the coolest dude?

zogg has just woken up and he agrees, best day ever.

That would be myself of course :lol:

Guest Mahonio

What an afternoon, what a team, what supporters, what a manager. Oh......and what a score !

Just fantastic - yet another game for the ICT history book.

Roll on next Saturday at The Dump.

:D :021: :022: :025: :D :clapping03: :P ;)

The Caley Stadium isn't a dump especially if the Hibs game last year is anything to go by or is that the buzz of going to my 1st ever game? I will find out next week no doubt which is my 2nd ever game.

I'm still hungover today from Saturday :lol: Can't remember a thing at all past Perth on the train home so I've decided not to drink for a week, untill next sat!

Noticed on bbc report that Eagle scored on 85 and was booked in 86 and Morrison scored in 89 and was booked in 90. Was this for the celebrations? Don't remember them doing anything worthy of a booking they were just mobbed by the fans but didn't leave the pitch or anything.

What an afternoon, what a team, what supporters, what a manager. Oh......and what a score !

:D :021: :022: :025: :lol: :clapping03: :D ;)

The Caley Stadium isn't a dump especially if the Hibs game last year is anything to go by or is that the buzz of going to my 1st ever game? I will find out next week no doubt which is my 2nd ever game.

Mahonio,

It's called that because it's built in what used to be part of the town rubbish dump and the land was reclaimed.

IT WAS like something straight from a Monty Python script.

Hundreds of fans gathered together for a glimpse of their leader.

Excitement rippled through the crowd as they huddled at the mouth of the tunnel waiting for him to appear.

Kids craned their neck for a better view, grown adults climbed into the rickety main stand at Somerset Park to get closer to him.

But unlike Python's comedy classic Life of Brian, Terry Butcher didn't have to be dragged in front of the heaving masses by his grumpy mum.

He burst into the directors' box to greet his followers - and was almost knocked off his feet by the explosion of noise.

Because to the Inverness fans, Butcher isn't a very naughty boy. He IS the messiah.

The man who led their club back to the promised land of the SPL at the first time of asking.

And the man who managed to stop a bunch of Ayr United jobsworth's having a heart-attack.

The man really is a miracle-worker.

Sent up to address the crowd by United's panicking security staff, Butcher raised his arms and calmed his fevered followers.

As the noise levels dropped he bellowed: "I've got one or two things to say."

"Tell us Terry, tell us both of them", you almost expected the idolising masses to chant back, mimicking that brilliant Python scene.

Sadly, they didn't but that didn't stop Butch and off he went, controlling the pack like a puppet master.

Indulging them enough to take the roof off at points, bringing them back down by promising one hell of a title party when they get the trophy next week.

It was one of the best moments I have ever witnessed in football.

In an age where managers and players have never been further away from the punter, Butcher couldn't have been closer to his fans.

A true football man embraced by a loyal support so thrilled they're heading back to the SPL they looked ready to burst.

Considering the league was already won, the numbers that sang their hearts out at Somerset was incredible.

But then you remembered they were all stuck at home listening to Raith beat Dundee when it was clinched.

To be fair, even if they weren't celebrating promotion, the show Caley put on against an abject Ayr side was reason enough to party.

Seven goals, seven different scorers.

Just like Butcher's address to his people, one of the best team performances you'll ever witness.

As he savoured every moment, the Caley boss grinned: "It's the stuff of dreams today, amazing.

"We don't want this season to end, it's been incredible.

"It was special to be able to go out and see the fans today. I've never experienced anything like that. I did it when I was at Rangers and I've done it at Motherwell, but nothing like that.

"We last lost in November and ever since then we've just kept on picking up results and doing our job.

"It says everything about the lads that they've won the league and come down here and won so convincingly.

"As for the way we played today, well it was pretty good. And if you ask me after I've had a few beers I'll tell you it was f*****g brilliant."

After winning the title in midweek without even kicking a ball due to Dundee's defeat at Raith Rovers, you could forgive the Highlanders for losing a couple of days on the sauce.

But they travelled to Ayrshire determined to put on a show and celebrate in style.

They did not disappoint.

The brilliant Jonny Hayes opened the scoring for the champions after just two minutes with the simplest of tap-ins.

Richie Foran then crossed to set up Adam Rooney for the second eight minutes later before Foran scored himself on 13.

Hayes was on fire and his brilliant jinking run set up Eric Odhiambo three minutes before the break.

Advertisement

United were going to pieces as their First Division survival flashed before their eyes. After 75 minutes Hayes created the fifth, crossing for sub Dani Sanchez to head home.

Robert Eagle climbed off the bench to hit the sixth before debutant Gavin Morrison was in seventh heaven as he wrapped things up with a cute free-kick.

Then the madness started.

The Caley fans behind the goal couldn't hold back any more and piled on to the pitch.

Morrison disappeared under a mountain of bodies as the stewards desperately tried to restore order.

No doubt the authorities will look down their noses at the pitch invasion, but it was sheer enjoyment at its best.

Yet while the Caley fans were loving it, the Ayr fans hated every minute.

They gave their side pelters as they trudged off the pitch, their season all of a sudden turning very gloomy. If Butcher was like the mistaken messiah from Life of Brian, United surely resemble the Black Knight in the Holy Grail.

You know, the guy who had his arms and legs chopped off.

Well make no mistake, Ayr are wounded.

Judging by their collapse over the last few weeks, maybe even fatally. They have now got two games in which to save their season, two huge cup finals that will determine squad size and budgets.

But with morale this low after such a heavy defeat, it's difficult to imagine how Brian Reid's side will recover from this.

Still, no matter what happens they should take heart from that famous ending to the Python movie.

And always look on the bright side of life...

Saturday was fantastic.

It was the best match I have been to and will probably never forget the atmosphere. :021:

I knew after the first goal that we'd beat them by a few goals.

By the time it got to 6 I thought that would have been a fine sore but 7. Who could have predicted that and 7 different scorers. Has that ever been done before?

Butcher was like a grate leader speaking to his followers he really is a legend!

Can't wait till the PARTY on saturday!

Guest Mahonio

:D :021: :022: :025: :lol: :P :P ;)

Mahonio,

It's called that because it's built in what used to be part of the town rubbish dump and the land was reclaimed.

OK :) :)