FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

SNOW PATROL

CaleyD

Apologies for the delay in adding the following message, been out all evening and just home.

Kenny Cameron has asked me to pass on his thanks to everyone who had volunteered to assist this weekend and the club have also issued the following statement.....

Chill blast as game off

The game with Dundee United at Inverness on Saturday is off -- and the SPL verdict is a crushing blow to Caley Jags.

Caley Thistle have been taken aback by the SPL decision to postpone all Saturday's fixtures after taking advice on the forward weather forecast.

Caley Jags were very confident that the home game with Dundee United would go on. Operations director Kenny Cameron said

:"Whilst we understand the SPL have taken the advice of the Police regarding travel for at least the next seven days we invested a considerable amount of money, and the time of staff and volunteers, in clearing the grandstands, concourse areas and car parks only to find a couple of hours after completion that the SPL have cancelled Saturday's card.

"There are three inches of snow on our pitch but it is frost-free having had the under soil heating on for the last two days and the surface is perfect underneath. We had a list of 40 volunteers / staff lined up to remove the snow on Saturday morning. We were extremely optimistic of the United game going on and this is a real setback for both the fans and the Club.

"We would do nothing to endanger the safety of supporters, and are mindful of the conditions our players / fans endured last Saturday on the nightmare trip down the A9 to Parkhead but we can't help being extremely disappointed at the game being off after such endeavour to pave the way for it being on. This is the second weekend running that United are idle and I'm sure they would have preferred to play."

Kenny Cameron

Good statement from Kenny. What forecast have the SPL seen I wonder? No snow forecast for the next few days. It might be cold but with only a gentle breeze it will be perfect for football. Stupid decision IMHO. Probably dictated by Celtic wanting a bit of time to regroup and Aberdeen wanting time for someone desparate enough to want to manage them.

• Agree 1

Send the bill for the USH heating to the SPL. After all it was them who insisted we tear up our pitch and install it to avoid scenarios like this!

We are the SPL, well 1/12 of it at least. Would we be willing to pay for other less efficient USH systems installed at other grounds?

Send the bill for the USH heating to the SPL. After all it was them who insisted we tear up our pitch and install it to avoid scenarios like this!

We are the SPL, well 1/12 of it at least. Would we be willing to pay for other less efficient USH systems installed at other grounds?

Did you know that a 15 tog duvet big enough to cover the pitch and with an aluminium foil coating on the top side would work out at a fraction of the cost and would be more effective.

Funny you should mention that, I heard they were going to implement this idea but with one addition...2500 holes which are secured with velcro. That way they can just pull the duvet up over the main stand and use it to keep everyone warm during the match.

• Agree 1

Situation is not clear at the moment and very much depends on what the weather is set to do and when.

If it looks like we might get a a bit of thaw and temperatures aren't looking too bad then the decision may be made to remove the snow earlier to prevent a waterlogged pitch. If things remain cold then it will likely be cleared Saturday morning.

It's a case of wait and see, and as soon as it changes I'll pass on the information.

Inverness director of football Graeme Bennett told BBC Scotland: "We have no concerns at all about the game and fully expect to welcome Rangers back from Turkey to Inverness. "The pitch is under snow but is in perfect condition underneath. We will clear it on Saturday morning and I fully expect the match to go on."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9269733.stm

Inverness director of football Graeme Bennett told BBC Scotland: "We have no concerns at all about the game and fully expect to welcome Rangers back from Turkey to Inverness. "The pitch is under snow but is in perfect condition underneath. We will clear it on Saturday morning and I fully expect the match to go on."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9269733.stm

I'm inclined to suspect that the game will be called off along with many others across the central belt.

If the SPL don't do it, the police almost certainly will.

The club, as at close of play yesterday, had been given no indication by anyone that consideration was being given to a postponement.

Stadium is pretty much ready for the game with stands, walkways, paths and surrounding pavements already cleared and being kept gritted.

It's likely the pitch will be cleared before Saturday morning due to the fact we have an early kick-off.

Club are providing us with updates as and when they are available and we'll pass them on as soon as we can.

I'd agree with that, the temp here is now 3c and snow is turning very slushy, forcast is for higher temps and windy.

Good idea to clear the pitch before it gets too mushy/waterlogged.

Why... are you there with a snow shovel Ron?... thats dedication!

Heard on Radio Scotland that the SPL will make an announcement tomorrow regarding whether games will go ahead, hope they base their decision on the road conditions predicted for saturday rather than first thing friday.

Edited by caley100