FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Rooney in talks with Hibs

Dargo20

HIGHLAND NEWS 20th January 2011

UNDER-pressure Hibs boss Colin Calderwood is hoping to land Caley Thistle striker Adam Rooney on a pre-contract.

The Dubliner, who has scored 14 SPL goals this season, was in talks with the Edinburgh club yesterday (Wednesday), ICT boss Terry Butcher confirmed, although these dicussions were at an early stage.

Hibs were dumped out of the Scottish Cup by part-time Division Two side Ayr United on Tuesday and Calderwood quickly needs players to help fire them out of trouble.

This news comes as speculation that Swiss club Young Boys of Bern was poised to make an offer.

Last week, Russian club Kuban Krasnodar had a ?100,000 offer for the hitman rejected.

Butcher said: "Adam is talking to Hibs, possibly along the lines of speaking about a pre-contract, which would see him move in the summer. It's early days, however, and our full attention is on the Hamilton game this Saturday."

HIGHLAND NEWS 20th January 2011

UNDER-pressure Hibs boss Colin Calderwood is hoping to land Caley Thistle striker Adam Rooney on a pre-contract.

The Dubliner, who has scored 14 SPL goals this season, was in talks with the Edinburgh club yesterday (Wednesday), ICT boss Terry Butcher confirmed, although these dicussions were at an early stage.

Hibs were dumped out of the Scottish Cup by part-time Division Two side Ayr United on Tuesday and Calderwood quickly needs players to help fire them out of trouble.

This news comes as speculation that Swiss club Young Boys of Bern was poised to make an offer.

Last week, Russian club Kuban Krasnodar had a £100,000 offer for the hitman rejected.

Butcher said: "Adam is talking to Hibs, possibly along the lines of speaking about a pre-contract, which would see him move in the summer. It's early days, however, and our full attention is on the Hamilton game this Saturday."

If true, wouldn't it make more sense to accept the offer of 100k from Kuban Krasnodar now, rather than see him move off to one of our SPL rivals in the summer for nothing?

Edited by Johnboy

Hibs???

Total lack of ambition IMO.

I'm sure Hibs will be back to their usual self next season and this season is only a mere blip. Hibs are a much bigger club than us in general and i'm sure they are offering Rooney a lot more money than we can give him. I always thought his next step up would be to someone like Hearts, Utd or Hibs and then onto bigger and better things once he has proved himself there. If he is going to sign a pre contract then i say let him go just now for some cash.

We done excellent keeping Ian Black for the last 6 months of his contract didn't we....

Edited by ICTPAISLEY

I'm not saying Hibs are not a bigger club and can pay much better wages, I just feel he could do a lot better.

I think its a safer option for him where he will get a good pay. If he is to have a good season with Hibs next season then who knows who might be after him after that. Rankin moved to Hibs and he is only a bit part player for them in a very poor Hibs team, the same thing could happen to Rooney so i don't think he should be jumping too high until he can prove he is capable of scoring goals at another club.

As I've said before, if he signs a PCA with Hibs they will then come in with a very low offer to take him off our hands in January, and we'll have little choice but to accept if Adam just doesn't want to play for us any more.

I'm sure that's the same approach we'll be taking with Tade.

Worst case scenario

1. Bangs in a few goals this season

2. Moves to Hibs

3. Moves to celtic - warms the bench.

I am wrong to feel like he owes ICT for the progress in his career? Fair enough, he's scored some nice, clinical goals this season, and was prolific last season in the first, but before that... Feel free to shoot me down for this one. I'm feeling a little aggrieved, that's all.

Is it no about time Adam tells us what his intentions really are??

The longer the speculation drags on the more peeeed off us the fans that pay his wages will get

It's no coincidence that his form has dipped terribly since all this transfer nonsense surfaced

C'mon Adam you either want to be a jaggy or not :ictscarf:

dougal

• Agree 1

I'm sure that we all expected him to speak to other clubs to see what his options are but in no way did I think that it would be Hibs, not that I want to be disrespectful but seriously I agree it shows a complete lack of ambition. Yes it might be for the wages but he is young enough that he will have other opportunities to further enhance his pay.

Somewhere behind the scenes his agent must be pushing all the right buttons, there is only so much ICT can do as a club and maybe it is time we started directing our thoughts and efforts into finding a replacement. We have offered him a reported contract making him the highest paid player at the club so the money is there should we want to go elsewhere.

I am not dissing Adam at all but how much more can we do without it being detrimental towards the club and the season, it is unhealthy to focus all efforts on one player.

Worst case scenario

1. Bangs in a few goals this season

2. Moves to Hibs

3. Moves to celtic - warms the bench.

I am wrong to feel like he owes ICT for the progress in his career? Fair enough, he's scored some nice, clinical goals this season, and was prolific last season in the first, but before that... Feel free to shoot me down for this one. I'm feeling a little aggrieved, that's all.

Why be aggrieved that he achieved more in a few years at our club than many do. Were you aggrieved when Wyness went to St Mirren? When Barrowman went to County? When Vigurs went to County? In any professional team sport transfers are part and parcel with the set-up. Adam gave us a good run in the 1st and probably sealed promotion for us but his development as a player is not something he owes to ICT although he will have learned here.

Big clubs don't go to Somerset Park and lose...

There is so much wrong with that statement.

• Agree 2

Hardly say a move to hIbs is a lack of ambition, ok they are having a very bad spell and sold a lot of players, but they have a good youth development scheme and will improve - the curent league postion doesnt reflect the potential of the team or the support. As for moving money, isnt that what we all do - you weigh up the options based on finance, prospects etc and decide what to do. We have to accept we are a small club and will loose players to Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd just like they loose players to the OF